Object Bonus Factor

Melusyne Baxton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On a Mainland parcel, that bonus is permanent. When the continent was designed, they must have set aside enough area to low-impact uses (water, parks, roadways, etc) that the land offered for residents to own could be double-prim.

(That's how the prim bonus works for Estates, too, but of course the Estate owner can change anything about the sim any time they want, which just doesn't happen on Mainland.)

Note that most of the time (I haven't personally seen an instance that went against this)  the double prim land is MUCH MUCH more expensive than having a larger piece of land with the same land impact allowance. The tier is of course lower, but it is wise to do the math and see just how long it will take you to get that prim bonus paid for when measured against the tier savings. Oftentimes the better deal in mainland double prim lots is to rent. Some of the rents are VERY reasonable. 

Just some thoughts. 

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

On a Mainland parcel, that bonus is permanent. When the continent was designed, they must have set aside enough area to low-impact uses (water, parks, roadways, etc) that the land offered for residents to own could be double-prim.

(That's how the prim bonus works for Estates, too, but of course the Estate owner can change anything about the sim any time they want, which just doesn't happen on Mainland.)

They can't just give you extra prims from public lands. Prims are directly tied to the size of the land. If you have a 4096 sq m on a 2X bonus sim, those are your prims until they decide to revert the whole sim to normal prim limits.

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

They can't just give you extra prims from public lands.

Yes they can. The estate owner can distribute a sim's prim quota any way they like between the parcels and that's exactly what LL does on the double prim mainland sims, they reassign the spare prims from the public land to the other parcels.

2 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Yes they can. The estate owner can distribute a sim's prim quota any way they like between the parcels and that's exactly what LL does on the double prim mainland sims, they reassign the spare prims from the public land to the other parcels.

i'm afraid you are totally wrong there.  Prims are based directly on the square meter size of the parcel, its a function of land size. Any percentage size land gets that percentage of the total prims, they can't be "reassigned". The only exception is if you own two parcels on one sim, you can use all the prims on one of the parcels.

If you can provide a link that describes what you claim, I'll be happy to read it, apologize  and retract my statement.

This must be some kind of weird confusion here, so probably I didn't make myself clear. The way an object bonus is made possible in a region is by some land area having only sparse land impact (like roads, water, etc) so that the saved land impact can be distributed to the other parts of the region in the form of that object bonus. (The object bonus applies to the entire region, but those low-impact areas must continue to use much less than a single-prim allocation or the residents who bought/rented object bonus land may get a rude surprise.)

Anyway, the point is that Estates can change this any time they want, but the Mainland Estate manager -- Governor Linden -- never changes it.

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

If you can provide a link that describes what you claim, I'll be happy to read it, apologize  and retract my statement.

Awww, Qie beat me to it!

But at least, here's a link to the description in the knowledge base:

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/managing-your-parcel-r49/#Section__3_2

It says Private Regions only but that's not strictly speaking correct. As Qie said, the same estate rules and posibilities exist on Mainland but the mainland estate owner isn't very likely to make any changes. ;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

This must be some kind of weird confusion here, so probably I didn't make myself clear. The way an object bonus is made possible in a region is by some land area having only sparse land impact (like roads, water, etc) so that the saved land impact can be distributed to the other parts of the region in the form of that object bonus. (The object bonus applies to the entire region, but those low-impact areas must continue to use much less than a single-prim allocation or the residents who bought/rented object bonus land may get a rude surprise.)

Anyway, the point is that Estates can change this any time they want, but the Mainland Estate manager -- Governor Linden -- never changes it.

Thats not how it works at all, you can't take the prims from empty areas and give it to other areas,  "bonus prims" is a sim setting, you can't turn it on and off for individual parcels

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Awww, Qie beat me to it!

But at least, here's a link to the description in the knowledge base:

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/managing-your-parcel-r49/#Section__3_2

It says Private Regions only but that's not strictly speaking correct. As Qie said, the same estate rules and posibilities exist on Mainland but the mainland estate owner isn't very likely to make any changes. ;)

Wow I learn something new every day. You and Qie are right and I am wrong. My apologies to both of you for doubting you

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.