Where Do People Get This Idea?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I take PayPal as well. Nothing "hard" about it, you just put it in the lease.

There isn't a feature that people have on islands that they can't have on my Mainland groups EXCEPT the ability to put their group on my land -- that is technically possible only on private islands, and physically impossible on Mainland unless you want to sell your land away completely.

No one has to "deal with staff" when they pay my rental boxes and join my open rentals group. They "deal with staff" in the form of a half-second check-off of a box by me to get their other powers like ban. Days -- weeks -- even years go by where I *do not hear from some tenants*. 

Usually the customer service tickets are about a newbie problem ("my house won't fit on your land") or a mesh placement problem -- mesh bounces off mesh and gives this idiotic error "The owner of the land won't allow..." which is supremely stupid -- and they think they need to call me over that. Or someone wants me to place a custom house for them or furniture which I offer as customization. But by and large I don't hear from most of my customers.

On 9/2/2017 at 3:03 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

Even so, it's not clear why people who paid  rental box on land that says it is a rental, with a group to join, still think they should be able to return everything on that parcel.

The whole reason they are renting on the Mainland is that it is far cheaper than "buying" on an island <snip>

Yes, my whole point is that based on my own Second Life experience, I would be confused and probably disappointed if I couldn't auto return stuff immediately when I started renting from you. Not because of any fault on your part, but based on my own user experience. It's easy to take for granted knowing all that you have learned over the years based on your experience. Some of us are fall less experienced in Second Life. 

FWIW, to a newer user, I really don't see the difference in semantics in the term renting on mainland and buying on estate. Because I still pay a weekly tier on my estate and I will lose my land if I miss a payment... so to me, I'm renting either way. So there is a whole new level of possible confusion for new players -- understanding the difference between buying and renting, and also when buying is actually synonymous with renting. 

Edit: You asked 'where do people get this idea?' This is where I get this idea... 

Edited by Nalytha

On 1/18/2018 at 1:24 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

@Qie Niangao Yes, you are surely missing something. Because there's a grace period of two days. That's a policy and a preference that I think is required for mainland rentals. There is fairly high competition for customers on the Mainland; there's very high competition between private island rentals and Mainland, and so in my view, you have to add this sweetener.

[...]

Those few left that someone might stumble on are dealt with by refunds, a notice to the previous tenant, a request to wait a few hours, so that way, neither tenant is lost. The prospective tenant who paid a parcel not really available can be guided to another similar option.

A grace period is certainly common enough, but I think it's not so common that the rental box will accept a new tenant during that grace period. I don't think I'd ever do it that way, but I can see some business advantage in the approach: some new tenants are evidently finding those "grace period" parcels appealing enough to rent them. Presumably they see the previous tenant's stuff on the parcel, and the ones expecting that stuff to poof aren't mistaking it for some furnishings included in the lease (although that might be another potential confusion resulting from this approach).

If I were to guess where tenants might get this expectation, there are rentals that decorate available parcels with "model" builds scripted to vanish when the rental box is paid, so maybe some new tenants confuse the previous tenant's stuff for such a model.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.