New Second Life Fad I Guess

OksanaSedia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Talligurl said:

Avatars are getting smaller, but that is a good thing I think, because they used to be giants on average. When i started just two years ago I set my height to match my RL height of 5'5", and I never saw anyone shorter than me, now I find them all the time, they are not midgets or children, just normal short adults.

Don't know when you started but 5'5 could be considered teen avie and banned on some sims.

Maya_SLheight001_001.thumb.png.d90e6bad05fcad026c11519f83057b44.png

The short white chick, it's me : 5'11

Edited by Morgan Rosenstar

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Using a variety of pics from the past couple of months, I ended up with ages from 23 to 31.  This one was really comical because the two shots were taken only moments apart, with one simply being a close-up.

At least you're "of age". Doing the same thing my distance shot shows me as 14. Eeep! :S

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A friend told me that this sort of software works by comparing relative brightness values. If that's true, then windlight, shadows and the angle used could factor in. I wouldn't be surprised at all if those of us who spend a lot of time in SL are able to adjust better than the software, though it would be based primarily on what we're used to seeing. Maybe the vaunted smoothness of mesh bodies and faces reads as younger.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

That page is fun... but the results are quite bewilderingly close in the same range, at least on the female side:

b9f5de3f28e5f26237078ea3356dada2.png... ok, accepted. She's meant to be the ageless, universal spiritualist anyway.

c7e5b31d2ffff1a6eaa7aafe29158a5e.png ... hmm, just a few years older than intended. Pass.

b96c06dd317208362947cd2f95c48a2e.png ... no way. Edgy, non-mesh face, meant to be in mid to late 30s.

dbd24ce5531ab4ba174f43e294d86b30.png... blatantly ripped from my colleague's profile pick and I'm quite fine with the result.

The m-alts seem to be more on point. No mesh head, just by the way:

f1e7d446b2ab485ea70b4fa6b5b961a4.png201121da214e45c625f04b1ddcfab7d5.png

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

Don't know when you started but 5'5 could be considered teen avie and banned on some sims.

Maya_SLheight001_001.thumb.png.d90e6bad05fcad026c11519f83057b44.png

The short white chick, it's me : 5'11

Maybe it isnt just how tall you are but how mature you act.

8.30face_001b.png

Edited by Talligurl
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I started wondering if the cartoon modeling was throwing off the results so I just a RL picture.

Wow, that was a kick to my vanity ...  I bet I can find a picture from around 20 years ago that would have a better result.

I would tend to believe it is the "cartoonish" quality of our Avi pics. I did the same with a RL pic from a few years ago. This is the result I got ...

59a6d3826555b_how-olddg2.png.be5cbe657c8f7b790699b0b0fd9e2783.png

And yup, it's spot on too. (Thankfully it classified me as male too. LOL)

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Darrius Gothly said:

I would tend to believe it is the "cartoonish" quality of our Avi pics. I did the same with a RL pic from a few years ago. This is the result I got And yup, it's spot on too. (Thankfully it classified me as male too. LOL)

I gave it a test and put in some photos of the current US president and they are anything from 41 to 83 years old depending on the mouth expression they were holding in the photo.

Put in Kim Jung Un, and they were 21 to 28.

It did seem to get Queen Elizabeth II correct in all cases.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.