New Second Life Fad I Guess

OksanaSedia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How-Old definitely doesn't like gray. My hair has been gray/silver since my early 40s. It aged me by almost 30 years. I darkened my hair in the picture (not thoroughly) and got an age 5 years younger than I am. I suspect it would've been younger yet if I'd done a better job of hair coloring. The algorithm needs work.

As I see all the torso shots, I start wondering what age guesses we'd get if Microsoft were analyzing our boobs. I was going to say that all us girls would cluster around 19, but then I think a sophisticated algorithm would know that 19 year olds can't afford the surgery. So might we all be 32?

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

Without being able to see the original starting post in its original fullness, this thread makes no sense for late comers. :S
/me goes reading other threads...  (psst... the first replier should always quote the starting post completely. Thanks. :D

As an alternative, an OP should stand up for their words and not pull the trigger afterwards and delete everything, when they realize that they don't get the kind of expected feedback they craved for.

Overall, the original post was a rant about the avatars coming to clubs looking way too underage for the OP's liking, too short and all. And they naughtily defended themselves as adult characters, when they got blamed for being underaged.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

As an alternative, an OP should stand up for their words and not pull the trigger afterwards and delete everything, when they realize that they don't get the kind of expected feedback they craved for.

Overall, the original post was a rant about the avatars coming to clubs looking way too underage for the OP's liking, too short and all. And they naughtily defended themselves as adult characters, when they got blamed for being underaged.

Thanks, now I know what this thread was for.

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

Without being able to see the original starting post in its original fullness, this thread makes no sense for late comers. :S
/me goes reading other threads...  (psst... the first replier should always quote the starting post completely. Thanks. :D

You're quite right, and in future I shall do that xxxxx

8 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I started wondering if the cartoon modeling was throwing off the results so I just a RL picture.

Wow, that was a kick to my vanity ...  I bet I can find a picture from around 20 years ago that would have a better result.

Interestingly enough, I gave it a photo from Feb of this year and it actually nailed my age and my husband's. 

Then it ruined everything by guessing me 5 years too old in another photo from that same Feb trip. 

But then it made up for that when I used 4 different pictures from a vacation from almost 15 yrs ago - it guessed a couple of them at 19 and 25 (quite a bit younger than reality).

• Like 1

However. Here's another old photo I presented to that website the last time we did this. I didn't record the ages I got then, so I've no idea if the algorithms are improving.

I aspire to be a female Irwin Corey, a mistress of pseudo intellectual musings. That's him on the right, for those who aren't sure.

59a74d6a350de_IrwinandMaddyAges.jpeg.409976fea0806f1aeabc472d7a649a08.jpeg

I think I'm getting close and I hope I can go another 51 years, saying nothing... with conviction.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

As I see all the torso shots, I start wondering what age guesses we'd get if Microsoft were analyzing our boobs. I was going to say that all us girls would cluster around 19, but then I think a sophisticated algorithm would know that 19 year olds can't afford the surgery. So might we all be 32?

Problematic for me as an androgynous male at the moment. Microsoft already consider I am female, maybe they detect the Catwa Catya head and female head skin I use; but I have no breasts, not even moobs - well, unless I took off the mesh body I used and counted the weird AAA sized Linden lumps under each of my armpits.

Edited by Callum Meriman

3 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Problematic for me as an androgynous male at the moment. Microsoft already consider I am female, maybe they detect the Catwa Catya head and female head skin I use; but I have no breasts, not even moobs - well, unless I took off the mesh body I used and counted the weird AAA sized Linden lumps under each of my armpits.

I think Facebook now has 71 gender options. I don't expect Microsoft's algorithms will do nearly as well picking one of those as they do picking an age. The SL boob slider doesn't go far enough to the left to mimic my RL shape. Years ago my neighbor asked my mom "Who's that young boy helping you in the yard?". At least he thought I was young.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Greetings!

Unfortunately, it was necessary to clean up and remove quite a few posts in this thread.

Please remember that personal attacks against other users is not, and never will be, appropriate on the Second Life Forums.

Please also remember that Off Topic posts (Posts that do not have anything to do with the comments in the Original Post) are also not appropriate.

• Like 4

Different ethnicities show age very differently.

This tends to skew people's perceptions when they look at others outside their ethnic group.

That said, it seems to have decided my avatar is pretty old. :)

Screen-Shot-2017-09-04-at-12.09.15-PM.png

Probably the whiskers and unusual eye angle.

But as to height in SL... We started making a push to get height down almost 7 years ago. It has been slowly gaining ground, and now I find my avatar is "almost" normal to people around here, with my 1:1 scale height (when I put my avatar up against a prim, the prim measures the same numbers that I imagine is my avatar height if SL was RL - about 5'3" last time I looked but I tweaked my shape a little since so I actually need to recheck this).

These tall people who get upset about height need to learn to get over it. Some of us want our avatars to have realistic proportions, and it is almost if not impossible to do that when you get too tall. It is nearly impossible to do it when 'too scale' because we all should be using an arm-length slider of about 110... and it doesn't go that far... (your fingertips should touch mid-thigh if standing up straight and something isn't preventing a vertically down position - as in not to round of a body. Just stand up from your chair and look at where you hands fall, and then look at your avatar...).

For years this issue has had one dimension to it: 'too-scale' avatars wanted their own avatars to look 'realistic', and the tall people wanted them gone. It took us years to get folks to stop harassing us, and to stop claiming our complaints about being harassed were themselves "reverse harassment"...

Now that we've gotten past that, more and more people are joining us, because you can just your 'avatar anatomy' to look better when you make all the proportions 'snap' - and then... when you decide you want a body part to look 'very unusual' you can make it stand out more, and look 'intentional', because of the contrast. Something I use to my own desired effect. :$

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 5

I seem to have confused it xD

Interesting point of note: every image that I tried with facial hair came out older than the clean-shaven ones. Since the mean age it gives for Skell is 31, I'll take that! (Also, only one male result, even with the bearded pics - but that could be down to the eyebrows, which are thinner in the 'female' pics. *snort* Ah well, I do love a bit of androgyny...)

how_old.thumb.jpg.69a7215085e11d517e8fb627ac22cde2.jpg

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 3

Lighting seems to matter too. And I realized my last image was before I actually worked on the eyes a little. They still have a slightly odd angle - difficult with the mesh head to get this right. But they're close to intent here. Now 31... with and without whiskers. I had to put myself in a bright light or it  "can't find black people" and thinks there's no face there...

I remember that issue from when this app was all over the SL community a few years ago...

howoldtest.png

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.