New Second Life Fad I Guess

OksanaSedia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Height has nothing to do with an avatar's intended age, even though there are places that use height as a metric to determine intended age.  

If an avatar has an adult profile, ie: one that does not describe them as children or preteens then we assume that they are presenting as adults and may go wherever they please.

Some mesh heads may have a very youthful appearance, but this in and of itself is no indicator that the resident is playing as a child.  

Child avatars can be in some mature/non PG sims so long as they are not in immediate proximity to overtly sexual equipment or activities, and are not themselves engaged in such activities.

• Like 4

Avatars are getting smaller, but that is a good thing I think, because they used to be giants on average. When i started just two years ago I set my height to match my RL height of 5'5", and I never saw anyone shorter than me, now I find them all the time, they are not midgets or children, just normal short adults.

• Like 4

If you rant about the ToS, you should first know its content. First of all, there is no guideline of how "mature" an avatar has to look. Secondly, even if someone was intending to be a child or a teenager avatar, just being on an adult sim is not breaking the ToS. The ToS only forbids any form of participation in sexual activites for underage looking avatars.

And personally I have to say, your impression that there are so many underage avatars has probably more to do with your own view of whats "mature", than with those avatars intending to be seen as minors. Just because an avatar isn't ridicoulusly tall or sports some huge behind and breasts as big as watermelon (or looks like Hulk), doesn't mean its a child avatar you are looking at. I know, if the majority of avatars goes for this "larger than life" approach, avatars that go against that stick out.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

If you rant about the ToS, you should first know its content. First of all, there is no guideline of how "mature" an avatar has to look. Secondly, even if someone was intending to be a child or a teenager avatar, just being on an adult sim is not breaking the ToS. The ToS only forbids any form of participation in sexual activites for underage looking avatars.

And personally I have to say, your impression that there are so many underage avatars has probably more to do with your own view of whats "mature", than with those avatars intending to be seen as minors. Just because an avatar isn't ridicoulusly tall or sports some huge behind and breasts as big as watermelon (or looks like Hulk), doesn't mean its a child avatar you are looking at. I know, if the majority of avatars goes for this "larger than life" approach, avatars that go against that stick out.

Well said and EXACTLY correct! 

• Like 3

Just now, OksanaSedia said:

it was a serious question and a serious thought.

The answers are basically correct though.  Avatar height has nothing to do with the age the avatar is supposed to be.  Back in the day, avatars were extremely tall and many shapes out there still are this way.  However, a lot of avatars have been bringing their height down to be more realistic.  If I'm with some of the older avs that have not changed their shape, they are giants towering over me, yet I am in no way a child avatar.

Additionally, while some of us might thing a given mesh face looks young, that is often just our percention and doesn't mean 'child avatar'.  Rhonda gave a good example of a youngish looking face - but google says it is a mid-20s face. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

no  maybe you get me wrong its simple many of these new avi heads and shapes etc are looking very young I was just questioning how far does it go before it becomes a tos violation. even these anime avis look like it to me, but who am I to know. And I'm not new to any virtual world by any means. Maybe this avi says 2 years,  but I have been around from the old mirc chats to irc and then other places even the swtor (star wars the old republic)virtual games..  I have seen a flux in a wave of avis who has shrunk down .. and i asked a genuine question last year it was tall overly sized butts and boobs  and super skinny waists.. get the point?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.