Paying outside of Second Life - query

JamieBennett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I am looking at providing a product that people can "rent" from me - all the normal stuff so far.

However, I am wondering if it is allowed to accept other forms of payment, e.g. paypal/credit card, instead of just renting in $L.

If it is possible, the next question would be:  How safe it to be to transmit the card details from inside Second Life to a payment provider.  Or should I build an actual website for this?

It would be a lot easier to have a script that the renter choose to pay using, that can then direct them to a HTML on prim, that is actually hosted by the script itself (LSL server), and then posts the credit card details to the payment provider.

If this allowed, and is secure then great :-)  Otherwise, I might have to build a website to do that payment work, and then somehow link up an arbitrary visitor payment to that renter...  Or, it might not be allowed at all (or against the terms of service, I never even thought to check actually!).

Many thanks i advance for anyones insight!

6 minutes ago, JamieBennett said:

However, I am wondering if it is allowed to accept other forms of payment, e.g. paypal/credit card, instead of just renting in $L.

many, if not most, landlords accept paypal payments... sound more or less the same as you want to do, so i think it's allowed :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

many, if not most, landlords accept paypal payments... sound more or less the same as you want to do, so i think it's allowed :)

Thanks Alwin, I guess my question now leans more on the security of taking the payment WITHIN second life, or MUST I make a website for them to do the paying on?  Ideally, I'd like to take the payment without the renter having to leave Second Life and come back after payment.

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this question - if needed, could you suggest another board to post it on?

Many thanks

Edited by JamieBennett

In general, yes, you will need a website to host your merchant account terminal paybox thing ...whatever that is called.
Relying on payments via the Family & Friends option would work in theory, but gives a quite shady appearence. 

In theory, you could work with media on a prim to display it inworld, so people could login inworld. Would I do that as a customer, though? Definitely not.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.