Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hikaru Yamamoto

Question: Is there an SL viewer I can download that doesn't require installation?

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, a few months ago my computer died. I've only been able to borrow this computer for now and the owner of it does not want me to install anything onto it. I only have a guest account and I was wondering if there is a way to get into SL without having to install it. The owner of the computer knows very little about the internet and anything computer related, she won't let me install SL because she is scared of getting a virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grab a blank CD and write "Anti Virus Charm" on it. Then everytime you use her computer, put the CD in the drive. Tell her it's been blessed by Bill Gates himself and as long as it's in the drive, viruses will be scared away by the magical charms of the CD.

But seriously .. no. In order to render the graphical richness of SL you need to install some software. Today. There was a test browser-based viewer, but it was severely limited and (as I recall) didn't allow any interaction or teleports to any place other than a couple test Sims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some computers are woefully insecure...

so if the following works, laugh all the way to your home location...

get a USB drive.

Install SL to the USB drive on a computer you have permission for,

set the cache location to the USB drive as well.

plug it into the limited computer and runn SL... if it starts up, you're golden. If not, then one of the oldest and dumbest exploits ever may have been finally fixed... this worked just fine a few month ago at my local library, but their tech person is box of rocks dumb so YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Darrius Gothly wrote:

Grab a blank CD and write "Anti Virus Charm" on it. Then everytime you use her computer, put the CD in the drive. Tell her it's been blessed by Bill Gates himself and as long as it's in the drive, viruses will be scared away by the magical charms of the CD.

But seriously .. no. In order to render the graphical richness of SL you need to install some software. Today. There
was
a test browser-based viewer, but it was severely limited and (as I recall) didn't allow any interaction or teleports to any place other than a couple test Sims.

lol... the 1st suggestion would probably work till my dad found out. My dad knows SL won't give the computer a virus but he doesn't like me using it anyway...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Hikaru Yamamoto wrote:

 

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Grab a blank CD and write "Anti Virus Charm" on it. Then everytime you use her computer, put the CD in the drive. Tell her it's been blessed by Bill Gates himself and as long as it's in the drive, viruses will be scared away by the magical charms of the CD.

But seriously .. no. In order to render the graphical richness of SL you need to install some software. Today. There
was
a test browser-based viewer, but it was severely limited and (as I recall) didn't allow any interaction or teleports to any place other than a couple test Sims.

lol... the 1st suggestion would probably work till my dad found out. My dad knows SL won't give the computer a virus but he doesn't like me using it anyway...

 

 

Ahhh .. well speaking as a Dad, I would be remiss if I did not point out that even though our wishes sometimes seem ridiculous and perhaps short-sighted, we always intend the best. We wish only to keep you safe, provide the best possible environment in which to learn and grow .. and never allow our past bad experiences to be your future ones.

Calm rational conversation is a good techinque. Explain the enjoyment of Second Life, the opportunities to expand both your skills in the growing digital job market and your own imagination (the best tool to survive in the world). Point out the fabulous creations others have contributed, and remind him that socialization with cultures from around the world is a skill that can take you far as you advance further into adulthood.

(And bribery sometimes works too.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He knows about SL... he just doesn't like the idea of me kinda living on the net so to speak. he would rather see me out hanging around with people in the real world. I started SL in Feb 03... he knows how involved I can get =/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Hikaru Yamamoto wrote:

He knows about SL... he just doesn't like the idea of me kinda living on the net so to speak. he would rather see me out hanging around with people in the real world. I started SL in Feb 03... he knows how involved I can get =/

 

Ahhh .. so he's staging a forced intervention, eh? *GRIN*

I've done that to my kids a few times in their lives too .. although usually I was "inspired" by their total lack of involvement in household responsibilities and chores .. and when their mom told me she'd had enough.

Yup yup yup, I've cut my fair share of network cables and phone lines .. even RIPPPED a few of them out of the wall .. y'know .. for "Dramatic Effect". (Worked too. LOL)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Darrius Gothly wrote:

[...] Yup yup yup, I've cut my fair share of network cables and phone lines .. even RIPPPED a few of them out of the wall .. y'know .. for "Dramatic Effect". (Worked too. LOL)

 

dramatic... but ultimately costly.... suggestion for the future: quietly disable it and when craziness ensues go "huh, it's working in here..." which should channel the craziness into either A) figuring out how to fix the problem (they learned something) or B) a fit followed by giving up and doing something else.

...not that I've ever resorted to such methods sweat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Void Singer wrote:

dramatic... but ultimately costly.... suggestion for the future: quietly disable it and when craziness ensues go "huh, it's working in here..." which should channel the craziness into either A) figuring out how to fix the problem (they learned something) or B) a fit followed by giving up and doing something else.

...not that I've ever resorted to such methods
sweat

 

LOL Before they were old enough to hack into the router, I was pretty safe. Once they got old enough and sharp enough to understand the permissions tables, I had to routinely change the password to stay safe. Then I hit on a really novel idea ...

My oldest asked me for the password, so I told him "No way dude". He begged, pleaded, whined, bargained .. I could have had my laundry done till he was 50 .. but instead I kept replying "No way dude".

(I see that twinkle in your eye .. LOL)

So after a week of his constant harangue trying to wheedle it out of me, his younger brother came to me and quietly asked .. Is the router password actually "No way dude"? When I got done laughing, I told him yes.

BTW: It was the youngest son's network cable I ripped out. (Then the little bugger hacked the WiFi. *rolls eyes*)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well at least you know they are learning useful real world skills in the pursuit of ungodly amounts of time spent on WarQuestUnlimitedGuild lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Darrius Gothly wrote:

 


LOL Before they were old enough to hack into the router, I was pretty safe. Once they got old enough and sharp enough to understand the permissions tables, I had to routinely change the password to stay safe. Then I hit on a really novel idea ...

My oldest asked me for the password, so I told him "No way dude". He begged, pleaded, whined, bargained .. I could have had my laundry done till he was 50 .. but instead I kept replying "No way dude".

(I see that twinkle in your eye .. LOL)

So after a week of his constant harangue trying to wheedle it out of me, his younger brother came to me and quietly asked .. Is the router password actually "No way dude"? When I got done laughing, I told him yes.

BTW: It was the youngest son's network cable I ripped out. (Then the little bugger hacked the WiFi. *rolls eyes*)

My answer to my son who was trying to hack ours was , "You'll never guess it."  He never did.  :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darrius, you know what? I love your posts. When they don't make me cry (about cat killers for instance), they make me swallow my tongue laughing! LOL, the "no way dude", awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


valerie Inshan wrote:

Darrius, you know what? I love your posts. When they don't make me cry (about cat killers for instance), they make me swallow my tongue laughing! LOL, the "no way dude", awesome!

 

*points above at Perrie's post*

Apparently, we parents are similarly skilled in setting challenges for our offspring to overcome (all to better them I believe) AND in sharing the wisdom we've gained in that goal. *grin*

Thank you Valerie.

@Perrie - ^5's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...