What was your life like before you discovered the Internet?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

One of the first computer games I ever played was Leisure Suit Larry - that was a riot

I have fond memories of discovering a glitch in one of my big brother's C64 games. He was the big war game and aircraft jock and was really -battling- this game.  Its objective was to fly a B1 bomber somewhere and blow up the Bad Guys and he kept getting shot down....a lot.....

I discovered that if I set the altitude to 1', I would make it all the way to Moscow and was invulnerable. I still remember him sputtering; "But....it's cheating if you DRIVE to Moscow!"

Wish I could get some more of those times :-(

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Before having a computer in our house, I did a lot more book reading.  Things that I don't do now because I'm online (or just on the computer, even if not online) are pretty much the same things I didn't do then, because I would have been buried in a book.  Access to the internet as we know it today doesn't stand out for me as a milestone in terms of remembering when that occurred.  The things that stand out for me are getting DSL so someone could be on-line and we could still get phone calls (pre-cell days) and getting a 2nd computer for the house, and then broadband became available and we could have both computers online at the same time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

Things that I don't do now because I'm online (or just on the computer, even if not online) are pretty much the same things I didn't do then, because I would have been buried in a book.

Ain't that the truth :)

@AmandaKeen,
My husband has a motto: "Anything the computer lets you do is not cheating."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I used to hang out with the cool kids of the 90s, we walk to different places every day looking for a party or making our own adventures, our source of music used to be MTV, some cassettes with music we recorded from radio stations, and visiting the local music store that sometimes had a new album of some great band, radio and MTV was the source to keep updated with the latest cool music, we used to push the limit on alternative fashion, or anything that was very different from the norm, we tried to push boundaries with the little access to resources that we had, those were the times..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Canoro Philipp said:

I used to hang out with the cool kids of the 90s, we walk to different places every day looking for a party or making our own adventures, our source of music used to be MTV, some cassettes with music we recorded from radio stations, and visiting the local music store that sometimes had a new album of some great band, radio and MTV was the source to keep updated with the latest cool music, we used to push the limit on alternative fashion, or anything that was very different from the norm, we tried to push boundaries with the little access to resources that we had, those were the times..

Hehe.  That sounds like what my kids were doing in the 90s. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2017 at 11:12 AM, Donovan Michalski said:

Basically, it was a lot of time spent with this.

VCS.jpg

We still have one of these, it was mine when I was a kid. I also still have my Coleco, both of my original NES systems, well, pretty much every game system I ever had...and they all still work just peachy (okay so at least one of my NES, like most, has the whole "blow on it til it works" quirk, but, that's part of the fun!)  :D

Me born 1995.  What do you mean 'discovered the internet'?  It clearly says in Genesis: 'In the beginning, God made the internet and the earth.....' (Anna's New Sensible Version)

Edit:  See for yourself:

ἐν ἀρχῇ ἐποίησεν θεὸς τὸν διαδίκτυο καὶ τὴν γῆν

and this from the oldest know manuscript.

Edited by anna2358
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.