Sim owner closes all her sims no warning

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK so about 10 pm slt i get a message i have been booted from my rental group ..so i message and ask whats going on i am paid 4 months in advance no response...it wasnt expensive but none of my stuff was returned! Most of my furnishings were from gachas hence no copy she also has my security orb..she had like 7 sims i think...do i have any recourse to even just get my furniture and stuff back??

Im not sure if this is where I post I just want my stuff back....

FYI i have relogged and gone through my inventory file by file and none of my stuff is in my inventory

• Sad 1

again thank you i did that i have been inworld over 10 yrs...my stuff didnt come back to me...im thinking since she closed the sims she was sending everyones stuff back at the same time....that would be 10s of thousands of items in a very quick time...maybe the system got overwhelmed i was asking if there was a way to find out what happened to it all...contact linden labs or maybe dealt with something similar

Just now, DeeVious Dagger said:

again thank you i did that i have been inworld over 10 yrs...my stuff didnt come back to me...im thinking since she closed the sims she was sending everyones stuff back at the same time....that would be 10s of thousands of items in a very quick time...maybe the system got overwhelmed i was asking if there was a way to find out what happened to it all...contact linden labs or maybe dealt with something similar

Sorry, was responding at the same time as you so hadn't seen your response. Also, without looking you up, we have no clue how long you've been in SL, we were just trying to help. There are people who have been members for many years who, for whatever reason, don't know about coalesced items.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeeVious Dagger said:

again thank you i did that i have been inworld over 10 yrs...my stuff didnt come back to me...

What BilliJo said only applies to mainland, not private estates.

For a private estate, open a support case and explain the situation to LL. They will then reopen the sim for a short time so you and the other tenants can get in and retrieve your items.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

What BilliJo said only applies to mainland, not private estates.

For a private estate, open a support case and explain the situation to LL. They will then reopen the sim for a short time so you and the other tenants can get in and retrieve your items.

I've had things come back as coalesced on private sims quite a  a few times over the years, is that only in the case of a sim closing that it's only on mainland??? 

As ChinRey says there have been many cases of Linden Lab putting a sim back up (they can do a rollback) so that folks can pick up their stuff. Since there were many of you, likely someone has already turned in a ticket BUT YOU NEED TO ALSO. 

I haven't had this happen in SL but I did have it happen in Opensim. I had everything in my inventory but it would have been VERY NICE to be able to pick things up coalesced.

And yes there really IS a reason why so many folks only pay by the week. This is not an unusual scenario. Sorry.

• Like 2

If I think this is the same person that just did the exact same thing to me, then you should hopefully be seeing a coalesced group in your lost and found folder. I just logged in to take my mind off Hurricane Harvey and can't get to my home. My belongings were all lumped together in my lost and found. I IMed her and don't think I'll be hearing back. If it's the same person, there is postings on the forum of her selling her properties and mentioning that she's left SL. I hope your items are just delayed getting back to you. I searched my emails and found that my items were group returned by the new land owner. So maybe the new owner just hasn't gotten around to returning everything. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It sounds like the sims are still up and running, and under new ownership. If that's the cae, take note of the owner's name and don't rent from him/her, or the original owner, anytime in the future. One of them could have given tenants a small amount of time to remove their stuff, but but chose to be a dickhead instead, so I wouldn't trust either of them.

• Like 2

I had this happen to me last year.  Paid in advance too as there had been an offer on for a free week for every 4 paid so to help our little club through summer I took the deal.  Only for her to have to close the sims a couple of weeks  later. 

A residents dispute obviously so I just had to suck it up.  Then found out there was a history of this person doing similar and starting up again as an alt who had bought the business and was saving it but could not afford to refund those who had paid up blah blah. No way of proving it as its hearsay but lesson learned.  Hopefully your stuff will be in your L&F shortly.

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

I've had things come back as coalesced on private sims quite a  a few times over the years, is that only in the case of a sim closing that it's only on mainland??? 

Yes. When a private sim closes, it 's taken off the grid completely along with all the items on it. Of course, the right thing for the estate owner to do, is clear the sim of content before it is closed but unfortuantely that doesn't always happen.

Mainland sims will never close of course, they're jsut clearedout if a landowner fails to pay the tier.

5 hours ago, DeeVious Dagger said:

i will try that but when i map the sims they are barren but with some luck maybe the stuff is still there

If the sim is still on the grid and your items are not there, the items were returned to your inventory - there is no other place for them to go.

Returned items do sometimes get lost on the way though and when that happens, there doesn't seem to be anything you can do about it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Yes that is true, me and some friends were living on an estate one time that was shut down, eventually it was put back online and everyone had their stuff returned to them.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

And yes there really IS a reason why so many folks only pay by the week. This is not an unusual scenario. Sorry.

And this is the exact reason why I will not rent.  I do not trust anyone enough to pay weeks in advance - not even long-timers - and yet I also cannot ensure that I will be able to log in every week or two.

OP - I do hope you eventually get your stuff back.  It sucks to be in that situation.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And this is the exact reason why I will not rent.  I do not trust anyone enough to pay weeks in advance - not even long-timers - and yet I also cannot ensure that I will be able to log in every week or two.

OP - I do hope you eventually get your stuff back.  It sucks to be in that situation.

I periodically take coalesced backups of my shop areas so "in theory" and "if the database doesn't lose it while I am not looking", I can pretty easily move to another parcel.

Honestly though, we are blaming the landlord but we don't KNOW the reason that the sims closed. The typist could have died and the executor (or son or daughter or friend) may have had NO IDEA what SL even was and just canceled the account or the payment unaware that there were others involved. That is a very good reason -- if you are in business -- to have someone that knows what's going on in virtualland. Even better if it is someone in SL.  With some official RL paperwork accounts can be transferred. Even being "illegal" and logging into a deceased persons account to send a warning to tenants, certainly seems the MORAL thing to do. 

• Like 1

Same happened to me . Maybe same person. No refunds. And I see that the sims owner posted her sims for sale at this forum. :( 

I think that a note telling us what she planned to do would be nice, it would give us time to grab our stuff and not pay the rent in advance :( 

Edited by Cesartje
  • Like 4

Same to me, i was so shock that she could run away with any words to all renters. I was online and saw she ejected me from the group , I immediately im her but she didnt reply, after few minutes she was offline. As I saw the posting about she selling all her land during last few weeks or a month, there is no clue as excuses that all are so suddent.

I have an experience that the sim closed but will give a tolerate period to renters to leave , like packing or choose to get refund.

this landlord should at least give us a word, it is about  integrity.

• Like 3

As Chic said though - something could have happened to the owner in RL and this is just something one of the relatives or friends did without really understanding SL and the impacts.  All of the facts here are just not known.  It is hard not to judge though when you are affected by something.

• Like 1

I have been through RL affecting my rental before. In that case, my landlady had died suddenly and it was weeks before her family logged in trying to figure things out. We were told what happened and allowed to stay there until the properties were dealt with. I even helped manage things in SL for them because rental signs were still up. I was logged in more frequently then. Eventually, the properties were reclaimed by LL and sold. It took about 2 years to get to that point.

In this case, this current landlady has been online or someone has signed into her account as recently as yesterday. I did IM her first in hopes that this was all just some glitch because that had happened a few months back with another of her islands. Then, she'd sent out group notices that she was selling that island because of the instability of the server it was on or some such. We were allowed to move into another rental on one of her other islands with no loss of rent or items. I think that's why so many of us are shocked by this. I really don't feel that she's passed away or something tragic because she had the forethought to post the islands for sale on the forum as early as the 17th but not to inform her tenants.

I really wish this wasn't the happening because she was such a sweet person but treating people like this is not right. I've already begun my search for a new place and am thinking of blogging about it for those in need of a new, cheap but nice place to reside. I'll also include some of the tips mentioned here about not getting swindled out of too much money. I need something to do while I wait and watch Hurricane Harvey :)

• Like 4

Ty MelissaAnn- my english is not good enough, but all you said is something I would like to post here. I always adored the landlord, I even brought friends to rent there. And its true, she sold one of her sims and warned us all before, so we moved to other of her sims. it is all very sad. She removed her Lms from picks, ejected people from group, a person that does not know how second life works cant do that (I rememeber that took me one month playing second life to discover that people had profiles). 

All i can do is feel sorry for the situation. And its not a judgement, its a fact.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.