Good Grief! (land pitfall)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been giving LL money for nothing - for months!

Over the last few years, I've been reducing my land (mainland) bit by bit, until I got it down to 512 + the 10% group bonus. That was maybe 4 or more months ago now, and I thought I was paying no more tier at all. WRONG! I've continued to pay LL US$25 a month for sweet F.A. That's the 4096sqm level. Actually, I may have been paying it for much longer because I don't think I reduced from 4k to 512 in one go.

You'd think that, from my experiences of reducing the amount of group land, I would have learned well enough, but I hadn't. On the last reduction(s), I forgot to remove sufficient donated tier to the group, so when I thought I'd done everything ok, I hadn't, and my tier level remained unchanged at the 4096 (US25/month) level even though neither I nor the group owned any more land than the tier-free 512 + the group bonus.

CAUTION: When reducing your group-owned mainland holdings, remember to take back the amount of tier donated to the group, AND check the correct radio button in the Land Use Fees webpage (in your account) to state how much tier you want to be paying for. The system doesn't do it for you because it can't know whether or not you still want the tier level. If you've reduced your land but you can't check the correct lower radio button, because the page won't let you change it, take it as a sign that you've got some tier donated somewhere, and you need to remove/reduce the donation in the group box, or you'll continue to pay for it.

NOTE: When you own mainland, you don't pay LL each month for it. What you pay LL for is tier - not land. We often think of it as rent for the land, but it's not. You are paying for the right to own up to the amount of land that your tier level pays for. You don't even need to own any land at all, but you still pay the tier for the selected level. You can pay for a lot more tier than the land you own - which is what I've been unknowingly doing for quite a while.

So don't think of it as rent you pay to LL for the land, or it would be too easy to assume that, when you've reduced the amount of land to a lower tier level, your tier level will automatically come down. It may if the land isn't group-owned. I don't know. But it certainly won't automatically come down if the land is group-owned. It's better to think of those tier payments as what they actually are - payment for tier, and not 'rent' for the land - so that mistakes like mine won't happen to you.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

CAUTION: When reducing your group-owned mainland holdings, remember to take back the amount of tier donated to the group, AND check the correct radio button in the Land Use Fees webpage (in your account) to state how much tier you want to be paying for. The system doesn't do it for you because it can't know whether or not you still want the tier level. If you've reduced your land but you can't check the correct lower radio button, because the page won't let you change it, take it as a sign that you've got some tier donated somewhere, and you need to remove/reduce the donation in the group box, or you'll continue to pay for it.

You do not actually HAVE to check a lower radio button.  If you truly do divest yourself of the tier -- get rid of the land AND remove any associated group tier donation, then your billed amount will reduce to reflect that.  All the radio button really does is set the tier level for the warning box - the message that tells you your tier will increase if you buy this land.  If I am paying $5 for 512 sqm but my radio button is set to the 1024 sqm level, then I would not get a warning about tier costs if I buy another 512sqm.  If I buy more than that, then I would get the popup warning.  And, like you said, the buttons can also indicate your current condition since you cannot reduce it lower than current owned/donated amount.

• Thanks 1

That's good. The important thing to remember is that setting land to a group donates tier, and it needs to be removed when reducing the amount of land to a tier level below. Otherwise the tier donation won't change and will continue to be paid for, even though the land isn't owned any more.

I recently switched from paying $40 extra tier to LL to renting tier from another resident ... you'll find beethos' regular Mainland offers in the land sectin of the forum ... he kindly reminded me  a couple of times that I have to complete both steps in order to tier down properly. 

Luckily, I had also read that reminder in some posts around here. But the reminder was appreciated, nonetheless, and you'd think that the land and group system would have options to highlight both these steps for the user. But well.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.