Sign in to follow this  
Larah Daxter

Language for medieval roleplay

I found a great medieval roleplay sim that Id like to get to know, but I cant find any information about the Old English language that is used in many of these sims. Does anyone know of a notecard or info that I can find out about the type of language I should be speaking, so I dont accidently speak modern english, or not act like a person of the time!

Larah Daxter wrote:

I found a great medieval roleplay sim that Id like to get to know, but I cant find any information about the Old English language that is used in many of these sims. Does anyone know of a notecard or info that I can find out about the type of language I should be speaking, so I dont accidently speak modern english, or not act like a person of the time!

Hi Larah.

What I've found in medieval RP sims is usually (I tell a lie - always) a funny mix of modern and old versions of English. Medieval English is what's known as Old English. The poem "Beowulf" was - is- one of the main reference points if you study Old English. I have. It ain't easy. Here's an excerpt:

Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra

As you can see, authetic Medieval English is another language completely and as far as I know, there are no SL RP sims in which the players use it. Even if you ever find the notecard with "Medieval English lessons", be aware that it will not be in any way accurate. Sticking "eth" on the end of words and calling one another "sire" and "lady" does not Old English make...

You're very welcome. It was just to let you know that there's no point getting worried about the authenticity of your "medieval" speech as authentic RP would probably only be possible among university professors of Old and Middle English.

If I happeneth to be you, my lady, I would goeth and speaketh as I seeth fit - for tis fact that no man possesseth the knowledge of which you speaketh... :smileyvery-happy:

PS have a peek at Shakespeare - Rennaissance not medieval, but you could pinch a few words and expressions from him and sound vaguely "olde worlde". And NEVER say "hi", "guy", "just hangin'" etc...that sounds REALLY odd!

To master the pseudo-medieval RP English, (which, as Carole pointed out, has little to do with the real deal) all you need to do is to read the King James Bible. If you don't have that much time, you can simply memorize the pronouns thou, thee, thy, thyself, thine, and ye. Add the salutations Mylady and Sire to the mix, and you're good to go.

ETA: If you speak to someone of lower social standing, you might want to address him in the third person (in the lines of "what doth he say? Doth he not know with whom he speaketh?"). Although in a role play setting, people usually assume that everyone is royalty. Even an innkeeper is knighted and must be addressed as Sire :)

1) I would be interested in learning the name of the RP sim of which you speak. <---slight pun there

2) Carole (hi Carole! me/ waves to you madly; madly being the operative word) cracked me up with the Beowulf. Um, yeah, if you did indeed speak in authentic medieval language you'd be shunned. Not to mention there was no standard spellings of anything even within the same document. Ishy, too, got it right. (/me waves madly again)

3) I'd be impressed if the only anachronism was the pseudo medieval speak. I've been getting so tired of going to RP sims where the vast majority don't even try to fit the theme. Recently in a "1001 Nights" sim, IC not OOC, there were many LOL's, text speak, "how ya doin?", etc. conversations going on. Someone was carrying a sack of popcorn at a trial, another wearing tennis shoes... And this was supposedly a "serious" RP sim.

4) Because Leia is my RP avi & this is regarding RP. (Not  in reply to the OP.)

Hiya Leia!

I went to amedieval RP sim once. Once. It was in fact the speech which stopped me from going back. It was a bit like this:

Avie A: "Hey. Lady! How you doing? Thou art lookin' hawt this morn!"

Avie B: "Oh, Sire! *giggles" It's my new mantle. I bought it at an almost freebie sale. Twas only 5L!"

Avie A: "Cool. Oh, looketh! Here art the Duke! Hey there Duke!"

Avie C. "Oh guys! Gladeth I caught ye. Been meaning to telleth ye. We're havingeth a bit of a party round at the castle this eveningtide. Got a new DJ coming across from the Ice Kingdom to spinneth his tunes. Wherefore dontcha both come?"

Avie A: "Oh awesome! What about thou, lady, cometh thou too? Thou can wear thy new hawt mantle"

Avie B: "Oh yeah! That would be great, sire!"

Avie C: "New mantle?? That one??" *facepalms*

Avie A: "Yes....whateth wrong with it? Tis verily hawt, don't thou thinketh so?"

Avie C: "Well...goteth a bit of bad tidings for thee. That mantle is a Gor one. We're not Gor. We're authentic 11th century England, babe! Gotta be accurate!"

Avie B: *facepalms* "Oh no! But yep - thou art right! Accurancy above all! I'll wear that nice tapestry mini-dress I woreth last time".

Avie C: *grins* "That's better! See ye both laterz!!! Byeee and fare thee well!"

Whahahahahaha! @Carole.

(That's the new kewel thing you know the @ to somebody.)

Oh lordy how I've missed your creative writing pieces.

Verily doth Thou makest Me spittest my meed across teh-eth Monitoriumeth.

(PS it was fun to spell check this and see what the "replace with" options were!)

I don't hang out here. Would love for you to drop one of me, pick a me any me, a line to catch up on your new doings...

Carole Franizzi wrote:

Hiya Leia!

I went to amedieval RP sim once. Once. It was in fact the speech which stopped me from going back. It was a bit like this:

Avie A: "Hey. Lady! How you doing? Thou art lookin' hawt this morn!"

Avie B: "Oh, Sire! *giggles" It's my new mantle. I bought it at an almost freebie sale. Twas only 5L!"

Avie A: "Cool. Oh, looketh! Here art the Duke! Hey there Duke!"

Avie C. "Oh guys! Gladeth I caught ye. Been meaning to telleth ye. We're havingeth a bit of a party round at the castle this eveningtide. Got a new DJ coming across from the Ice Kingdom to spinneth his tunes. Wherefore dontcha both come?"

Avie A: "Oh awesome! What about thou, lady, cometh thou too? Thou can wear thy new hawt mantle"

Avie B: "Oh yeah! That would be great, sire!"

Avie C: "New mantle?? That one??" *facepalms*

Avie A: "Yes....whateth wrong with it? Tis verily hawt, don't thou thinketh so?"

Avie C: "Well...goteth a bit of bad tidings for thee. That mantle is a Gor one. We're not Gor. We're authentic 11th century England, babe! Gotta be accurate!"

Avie B: *facepalms* "Oh no! But yep - thou art right! Accurancy above all! I'll wear that nice tapestry mini-dress I woreth last time".

Avie C: *grins* "That's better! See ye both laterz!!! Byeee and fare thee well!"

Thanks for the laugh :smileyvery-happy: That was utterly hilarious. This is pretty much how I remember it from Ultima Online, only without the SL-isms.

Well, if you can read Beowulf and The Canterbury Tales, you've pretty much got it ;) Otherwise, there are only three rules for speaking fake Medieval English:

(a) Use lots of "thee's," "thou's," and "thine's."

(b) Stick "-eth" and "-est" on the end of verbs. "Where goeth thou?" or "Willst thee tarry for a spell?"

© Avoid French words. Sure, Chaucer was flinging them out there like the best of 'em, but Beowulf contains nare a Frenchified locution.

There you have it. Let me know how you get on - send me a chat log ;)

Wouldst that I could tarry in yon sims, but alas, the hours flyeth and my own fair lady in the Land of the Real doth protesteth when I traverse too long in the Life of the Second. Verily hath she warned of striking off bodily parts after my dalliance with fair maidens. Hence I scribe pitifully amongst the aging scriveners within these hallowed tomes."

I love Medieval history, worked in a Medieval Archeological museum for a bit and read the original Chaucer and would go nuts for a sim where they tell people to type like that... but I'd probably be there on my own most of the time.

Mind you, there is no way I could speak real medieval English without a lot of help.

But I was just wondering, are there good realistic authentic Medieval roleplay sims in SL?

I've visited a few but always found the theme not completely authentic, or they went with the fantasy theme or they made it all too pretty and lovely.

Nice houses and castles and everyone is a lord or a lady.

I'd love a medieval town with common people working hard, dirty allyways, rich AND poor living together, etc.

Sigmund Leominster wrote:

(a) Use lots of "thee's," "thou's," and "thine's."

(b) Stick "-eth" and "-est" on the end of verbs. "Where goeth thou?" or "Willst thee tarry for a spell?"

© Avoid French words. Sure, Chaucer was flinging them out there like the best of 'em, but Beowulf contains nare a Frenchified locution.

There you have it. Let me know how you get on - send me a chat log
;)

Um. :)

a) thou was indeed the second person singular pronoun, but pretty early on it became polite to talk to one's social superiors (and later equals) using the second person plural. So, thou art my servant but ye are my master. On the other hand, the singular remained the longest in contexts that imply great intimacy, such as God, I am thy servant.

b) -th is the third person singular suffix: I hope Lara readeth this; -st is (as seen in a), above)  the second person singular suffix. An e will be added or the s omitted as necessary. Where goest thou? or Wilst thou tarry for a spell? The hours fly, my lady doth protest and so forth.

That's Early Modern English, found in the King James Bible or Shakespeare's works. Middle English, as written by Chaucer and the like, is a bit harder to read but still possible; look at Google for 'Geoffrey Chaucer hath a blog' if you want a modern take on it. Beowulf is originally in Old English, also called Anglo-Saxon, and as seen from the passage earlier in this thread it's pretty much just another foreign language.

Then again, what do I know – for me even modern English is a foreign language. Still, Carole's chat log made my retinas hurt. ;)

LOL! My "suggestions" for "Simple Medieval" English are similiar to my rules of speaking foreign languages, which are;

(a) Speak English but add "ee" for Asian languages.

(b) Speak English but add "o" for European languages, and

© Speak English but louder.

In other words, it's a parody ;) The thought that there might actually be a "Beowulf" sim that requires folks to buy a new keyboard just to handle the OE characters make me shiver!

I think I got the parody the first time; sorry for appearing inappropriately serious. :) That's just the kind of weird I am – when giving out RL business cards, I usually have the side on top that has the info in hieroglyphs. Makes for a great conversation starter with people who are trying to sell intrusion detection systems...

Anyway, back to the topic: if you can handle the language, Chaucer's blog is hilarious. It's a pity that he's been awfully quiet lately, but the archives are of course still there.

Has anyone made a translator for Middle Ages speak? That would be amazing.

I've seen a HUD that translates into Elvish before. Maybe it was at Tayren's. It was one of the fantasy-clothing (elves, mer) places.

In my personal experience any "translator" that people use is actually a barrier to role-play. If you can only understand someone you have in your RP history known all your life because of what your HUD translates then there is something wrong.

Also, translators allow people to speak aloud around other people they know have no hope of understanding them. The only RP reaction to that is an indication of how rude such action is.

These translators were popular several years ago but have thankfully all but died out as the community has seen it is more important to be understood than it is to appear to look cool.

PS - by translators I refer to elvish, drow and so on not modern language translators

Thanks for the laugh :smileyvery-happy: That was utterly hilarious. This is pretty much how I remember it from Ultima Online, only without the SL-isms.

that's funny to see a UO player have you checked into free shards at all or do you not play at all?

uogamers.com is a pretty decent free shard..

and yes the RP there is not so.."enforced"..