Giving it another go!

CalumAshby

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone! I'm Calum Ashby. I've been off and on Second Life for awhile, trying to get my feet wet. I've actually played around on OpenSim and non-grid oriented worlds for about 10 years now. I've even gone as far as working for a couple directly. Anyways, I'm having trouble getting immersed. I have a friend that's trying to show me the ropes of how to use the tools in the game to customize my avatar and go shopping; and so far it's a bit overwhelming as there's so many options and terms that I don't know yet.

I also would love to get some assistance in getting into events. I used to be a massively big time event planner in virtual worlds on non-grid like worlds with many attendees ranging from racing to trivia, karaoke to card games, DJing to multi-day festivals, etc. -- I'd love to get into that on here in any light that I can and grow from that. I work a routine schedule job in my real life so I know my availability in world pretty well.

For the purpose of making friends, my original reason for this post, here's a bit about myself. I'm 23 years old, I go by the name Evan in real life. You can also call me Ev. I respond to Cal or Calum in-world. I'm a single gay male from Metro Detroit. Rather kinky if it matters. I enjoy various music from 80s hair metal and pop to top 40 and EDM. I work in sales and marketing. I love a good cocktail and RuPaul's Drag Race but I also love playing fantasy games or watching something nerdy on Netflix. Just started Westworld on HBO, too.

That's enough about me for now. Let me know if you'd like to chat! I'm free in the evenings after 4pm typically, Monday-Friday, or after 1pm on *some* Saturdays if I'm working. Sundays I'm off from work. (All times in SL time)

Edited by CalumAshby
Updated with timezone.
  • Like 2

On 8/23/2017 at 9:50 PM, CalumAshby said:

so far it's a bit overwhelming as there's so many options and terms that I don't know yet.

Don't look at everything at once just focus on what is in front of you and what you want to do. Yes there is a lot you can learn, but you do not need to learn it all at once, in fact most of it you do not need to learn at all, if you are not into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:35 PM, Talligurl said:

Don't look at everything at once just focus on what is in front of you and what you want to do. Yes there is a lot you can learn, but you do not need to learn it all at once, in fact most of it you do not need to learn at all, if you are not into it.

Thank you for the tip! I do want to get into DJing and events so I hope some more people can come why to get me going.

16 hours ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

Ooooo, Matt, add me too! we can place bets on our picks at the beginning of the season!! 

Ooh! We can kiki later.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2017 at 9:50 PM, CalumAshby said:

Hi everyone! I'm Calum Ashby. I've been off and on Second Life for awhile, trying to get my feet wet. I've actually played around on OpenSim and non-grid oriented worlds for about 10 years now. I've even gone as far as working for a couple directly. Anyways, I'm having trouble getting immersed. I have a friend that's trying to show me the ropes of how to use the tools in the game to customize my avatar and go shopping; and so far it's a bit overwhelming as there's so many options and terms that I don't know yet.

I also would love to get some assistance in getting into events. I used to be a massively big time event planner in virtual worlds on non-grid like worlds with many attendees ranging from racing to trivia, karaoke to card games, DJing to multi-day festivals, etc. -- I'd love to get into that on here in any light that I can and grow from that. I work a routine schedule job in my real life so I know my availability in world pretty well.

For the purpose of making friends, my original reason for this post, here's a bit about myself. I'm 23 years old, I go by the name Evan in real life. You can also call me Ev. I respond to Cal or Calum in-world. I'm a single gay male from Metro Detroit. Rather kinky if it matters. I enjoy various music from 80s hair metal and pop to top 40 and EDM. I work in sales and marketing. I love a good cocktail and RuPaul's Drag Race but I also love playing fantasy games or watching something nerdy on Netflix. Just started Westworld on HBO, too.

That's enough about me for now. Let me know if you'd like to chat! I'm free in the evenings after 4pm typically, Monday-Friday, or after 1pm on *some* Saturdays if I'm working. Sundays I'm off from work. (All times in SL time)

Hello there Calum! it's a pleasure to meet you and Welcome back to Second Life! 

You are all good at the beginning of starting Second Life it can be a little confusing and the first week will mainly be about fiddling around with the interface, but I feel like once a person gets the hang of it Second Life itself can become very addicting for a lot of the people who play it. I'll be honest I'm completely addicted to it, I've been playing virtual worlds since I've been young so there a huge part of my life in general. Open Sim and non-grid oriented worlds can be fun it's always fun to try something new, but it's also good to have you back here. If you need any help please do not hesitate to message me or ask me any questions you might have. You can even message me to chat I always love to meet new people and make new friends, so my box in world is always open don't be a stranger. That goes for anyone who might be reading this as well. Ooo! Events! that is awesome! yeah I can see what I can do with that and see if I can help you out along those lines. 

I'm Ellie, and I love your real life name! "That is so fetch!" (Mean girls quote had to add it in somewhere.) ooo! Detroit nice! we could totally rock out to music at a club together our music taste is very similar! OMG! Rupaul's drag race is my show! we have to discuss on it sometime, I'm all game for this! Netflix is my life when I'm not on Second Life so I feel you with that two shows I highly suggest is "Revenge" and "Weeds" if you start and finish with those I have more if you have or haven't seen those already. I'm an avid movie watcher mainly and I work in 5 different positions at a movie theater, multi tasking for the win. 

If you would like to chat in world! which I would love because creating friendships is amazing! I'm on normally 9pm-4am EST when I'm not working and 1am-4am EST on the nights I do work. I hope to see you around Second Life and Welcome back!

• Like 1

It totally took me awhile to get into the swing of things and figure out how to actually get things done with my avatar and where the fun spots were so don't get yourself overwhelmed and discouraged as I'm sure you'll meet peeps as you go that'll help you figure things out and a lot of people are pretty forgiving towards your looks and what not when you're new.

also.....omg you should see the drag shows in world too! 

<3

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been so busy with real life. Going back into Second Life again today. If someone could help me get my avatar put together, that'd be great! Next step, getting into DJing and event hosting.

Feel free to add me in-world...and to add to my original post, I'm no longer a single gay male from Metro Detroit. :x

Edited by CalumAshby

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.