Photoshop beginners can get clients (?)

bateliii

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I know how to edit second life pictures in photoshop.
the basics editing.. shadow and highlights and soft painting.
I'm not a designer like talented designers here but,  i wonder if i can do something with what i know.
Designers sell their work for l$2000 or more.
My question is whether beginners like me can get clients?
We have a chance?

There is always a chance.  It's not about luck, though.  It's about talent and reputation.  SL has some very talented creators -- people who have real artistic talent and who have a comfortable feel for RL tools like Photoshop, Blender, Maya, Avastar, .....  Just as in RL, you have to be able to compete with those other creators if you are going to break into the business here.  Being talented isn't enough by itself, of course, because you also have to get potential clients to know you are here.  You build a reputation by getting your work in shows and galleries, or by collaborating with other creators to make objects that incorporate your work.  It takes time and is hard work, but plenty of people have done it.  Give it your best shot.

Like Rolig said, there is a chance, but amateurs aren't earning anywhere close 2,000L per shoot. Your success as a photographer is going to be based upon your work (portfolio), your price, reputation and of course the level of exposure you receive. I know some really exceptional photographers that struggle to get business, and it isn't because of their cost, or the quality of their shots, but because very few have seen their work.

The market for profile pictures has changed over the last several years with the advent of mesh. Not only are there more resources available today to teach people how to take and edit photos. but the pictures themselves require a lot less editing then they did previously, and as a result, even novice photographers are producing better quality shots. This of course all leads to fewer people having a need or seeing the value in paying for someone to take their photo.

Start out small, don't invest a lot of money into it, and build up your portfolio.

• Like 1

Talent is more important than tools, if you have an artistic gift and can find a way to offer something unique to SL, you can be successful. I do not mean you are going to get rich of it, even by SL standards, but you should be able to make something here you can be proud of.

• Like 3

I can tell you there are many photoshop skilled people who make boring photos. Same as there are tons of amateurs who make outstanding works. 

Your work is supposed to have "that something" which makes it to stand out. I was running pretty big studio few years back and was receiving many applications from all kinds of levels. I always chosed people that have their own vision and special style or way of seeing the world around. Of course there is always the need for high quality people but, even if there is no technical skill (which can be learned really fast), there is this certain kind of photo work that is more attractive than others. Usually it is about specific angles a person takes or some interesting windlights, croping style... it can be anything. 

Quality work is about your vision and how you chose to present it to others. You either have it or don't. 

And to answer your question, yes photoshop beginners can get clients but often it will be for free or some cheap price because people pay for artistic talent, technical skill, your brand name (how famous you are?). If you don't have portfolio website, your own studio (that actually looks like a studio), your own group, terms of service, price list, etc. how can you prove that you are, indeed, a photographer and are doing business? If you don't have all that then you can do amateur work and, as we all did, go slow but safe towards your goal ;) 

• Like 3

I create images I market as virtual paintings people can use in thier SL homes and businesses. I sell them from a MP store, and I have four in world galleries. Yet probably 90 percent of my sales comes from people I have met and told about my art, not random people who find the art through to MP or a gallery before meeting me. So you need to remember this is very much a people business, you need to get out, meet people, make friends, and look for chances to promote what you do.

The quality of your graphics card, your graphics setting, a good eye, and use of effective windlight (relating to having a good eye) can produce superb results without needing any post processing beyond perhaps cropping and resizing. This is particularly true in regard to landscape photography, but applies to portraiture as well. Especially now with mesh bodies that do not have jagged angles and edges that would require editing out, great photos can be done by choosing proper lighting and poses.  Some of the really well known photographers in SL do a lot of heavy post processing which is part of their personal style, and that is grand but not necessary. There is a flickr group for unedited SL photos, and I am often quite impressed.

That being said, I go through phases of taking unedited photos and then alternating with photos I have edited the heck out of. Both have appeal for me.

As Chase said, it is easier for people to take better quality profile pictures of themselves, and I have seen a fair amount. However, a good many cannot, as they lack the vision of which Tamara wrote. A good way to get business is to do an amazing self portrait for your own profile, as well as asking those whose photos you do to credit you in their profile. But definitely get out and about ... take photos at parties and give them to the venue owner if they are great shots, get involved in social activities and venues that oh, have contests and calendars featuring staff or regulars. Sometimes when I see someone with a very well done avatar, I ask if I can take his or her photo and send it to that person gratis when done, asking if I can post it on my flickr page.

Edited by Nikolai Warden
additional information added

There is also the part many people neglect which I want to mention... it is about the roleplay. People like to treat themselves with something special and they like to see when other people make some kind of an effort for them. There is a big difference between a photographer who shoots in random sims or some quiet platform somewhere high in the air and a photographer who has managed to build a business that looks same as if it was a real life business, one that is located on its own sim/parcel, has a professional building, variety of poses (not freebies), has his/her own terms of service, price lists, customers group, fan groups... 

People love to play so if you build all that and make your hobby to look like a real business (and treat it like that) then you will start to get customers who like to treat themselves with the new profile photo once every 2 months, who like to gift their friends the experience of visiting a professional virtual studio. I believe this is a huge thing that often gets neglected. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2017 at 4:27 PM, Talligurl said:

I create images I market as virtual paintings people can use in thier SL homes and businesses. I sell them from a MP store, and I have four in world galleries. Yet probably 90 percent of my sales comes from people I have met and told about my art, not random people who find the art through to MP or a gallery before meeting me. So you need to remember this is very much a people business, you need to get out, meet people, make friends, and look for chances to promote what you do.

I can't find a link to your MP store. Can you post it?

Edited by JingleWorm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.