Is it possible to fix neck seam?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Everybody,

I am using Maitreya body and standard head... I know not best setup. And what pisses me most is neck seam. No matter what you do, it is visible. I even considered to buy mesh head as I hoped at least they might deal with damned seam. Thanks god I've tried demo first. With different appliers, different types of skins , neck seem is VISIBLE. I don't care it is just very tiny line - It is VISIBLE. So sudden question came to me... is it possible to fix neck seam at all? If mesh head is unable to perfectly match body and mesh body is unable perfectly match head, why the hell was I going to pay 5000? Facial expressions... oooh yeah... 

So I want to ask more experienced players, is it possible to fix neck seam at all? By fixing I don't mean wearing necklace or slave collar or  piece of paper or whatever... just to obscure it - is there any way not to have neck seam?

Thanks.

Edited by KittyCharming
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, KittyCharming said:

Hello Everybody,

I am using Maitreya body and standard head... I know not best setup. And what pisses me most is neck seam. No matter what you do, it is visible. I even considered to buy mesh head as I hoped at least they might deal with damned seam. Thanks god I've tried demo first. With different appliers, different types of skins , neck seem is VISIBLE. I don't care it is just very tiny line - It is VISIBLE. So sudden question came to me... is it possible to fix neck seam at all? If mesh head is unable to perfectly match body and mesh body is unable perfectly match head, why the hell was I going to pay 5000? Facial expressions... oooh yeah... 

So I want to ask more experienced players, is it possible to fix neck seam at all? By fixing I don't mean wearing necklace or slave collar or  piece of paper or whatever... just to obscure it - is there any way not to have neck seam?

Thanks.

If you are using standart head with maitreya body , then using neck sheath (in maitreya body HUD) is highy recommended. Theres only one mesh  head brand that fits the Maitreya body seamlessly - Lelutka.

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Like 1

Mesh or no mesh there will never be a perfect blend.  The torso half and the head half are on two different 2D textures wrapped around two different 3D models.  When you zoom in close enough you will see how the two textures are stretched and warped in different ways

Make sure you set your neck width adjustment for the head and body to match and buy your skins from places that originally designed for system skins.  At least they will more likely have the shading match all the way around.

[eta]
If you are taking Jenny's advice, both the Maitreya body and LeLutka heads use Glam Affair skins.  Not only will the included skins match but the shapes will blend as well.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 1

Along with the other answers which are all important you MUST have an applier that will apply the skin to the Maitreya body while you are using the system skin for your head. With that you can visually eliminate the seam as much as with a mesh head. 

BUT that being said, not all appliers even within a skin maker's line will work as well. Sometimes the skin maker updates the looks on the heads and doesn't change the body (hence seam). Sometimes they just aren't that great at making skins. So demos are VERY important. 

Some examples.

neckseam.JPG.252d12f0e00133505a64a1b0a1f7c94e.JPG

AKERUKA head and system body - 7 Deadly Skins (not all of these are as good a match)

neckseam2.thumb.JPG.7caeb53f8c7e8ead91c985b3762d827e.JPG

Catwa Head and Maitreya body and WOW skin

neckseam3.JPG.b0a327f6a94b4e6d7404fac0bc6a5963.JPGL:

Letluka head and Maitreya body and amias skin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Demo, demo, demo.  I just went through the "find a new skin' process because I now have the Maitreya mesh body, but still have my system head - my original skin maker is long gone and thus no matching applier.

There are a ton of skin makers that will make a system skin and a matching applier, but they definitely are not all great at making the seam are match very well.  I finaly found one that matches super well, unless you literally zoom way way up close.  However, also know that everyone can be using different windlight settings and different graphic level settings and those also will effect how others see that seam area.

The only way to ensure that nobody every sees a seam is to wear a collar.

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

However, also know that everyone can be using different windlight settings and different graphic level settings and those also will effect how others see that seam area.

Definitely true and important, but I always test with all my personal Windlight settings, not just the ones with very little contrast. All those photos above work in any Windlight that I have tried. 

And I definitely agree that it takes time to find a skin that will work with both head and body -- no matter what combo you are using. Some skin designers apparently test and others do not :(

A few things. First, be sure you are looking using either CalWL or Nam's ultimate Skin and Prim windlights. Next, turn off advanced lighting. Next, when looking for a match, look at the side or back of the neck, NOT under the chin. Under the chin, you're going to get a shadow from the chin. Chances are you'll now see a match.

That being said, I don't really know of too many people that will zoom in on your neck that closely. Also, you can only get your skin/avi to look great to you. You have no way of controlling what windlight others around you use. So, don't sweat not having an absolutely perfect match as it's highly unlikely anyone is going to be looking at the color that closely for it to be a problem. To prove it, after you get that perfect match, try the default sky or one of the other windlight settings and you'll see you don't have that perfect match anymore. There is no way to get a perfect match in all the different windlights people use. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Basically what everyone else has said is true. I have a "standard" head and maitreya body and found an esode skin for maitreya that works perfectly in SOME windlight settings when the neckfix is applied, in others turning it off works. When I go to my favourite club it doesn't matter cos they have moving coloured lights that mess it up no matter what I do.  I've tried a few mesh head demos, but I quite like my face, and if I go to a party I'd sooner have my neckline showing for a couple of hours rather than have my brains on display for the first 20 mins. SL is an imperfect virtual world and there is aways going to be something that irritates, but it's the best we've got so some things we'll have to put up with for a while :)

Edited by suzyst
typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobbie Faulds said:

A few things. First, be sure you are looking using either CalWL or Nam's ultimate Skin and Prim windlights. Next, turn off advanced lighting. Next, when looking for a match, look at the side or back of the neck, NOT under the chin. Under the chin, you're going to get a shadow from the chin. Chances are you'll now see a match.

OK. I had to smile at this broadly. The point for most of us is to look good for EVERYONE and in ANY Windlight setting. This is much like the first days of the web where you would go to a page and be told you had to use such and such browser with such and such page resolution and such and such plug in. Really?  

You CAN get skins to work in any Windlight setting (as shown in my photos above). It just takes a lot of demoing and testing. 

• Like 1

Very interesting messages folks, thanks everybody. Really very helpful. I've tried different approaches but really those are two different meshes made by different people. Plus skin, made by another guys, so really even if they are of same color - there always is very tiny border between them. Only solution that fixes it is Lelutka head and Glam affair's skins. May be some other skins do as well.

As for other heads, I've seen catwa head with 3k worth textures and some others... seam still exists. I think I will go with Lelutka.

Thanks again everybody.

Edited by KittyCharming
  • Like 1

This goes hand in hand with my rant on top of the page, LL made a mistake by not designing a Generic Mesh body which all creators could have worked from, instead we have loads of different ones with all their own restrictions and no cross fitting, and causing massive headaches for 3rd party people having to make appliers,   this was a stupid move on LL part.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 25 August 2017 at 7:51 AM, greek Wingtips said:

This goes hand in hand with my rant on top of the page, LL made a mistake by not designing a Generic Mesh body which all creators could have worked from, instead we have loads of different ones with all their own restrictions and no cross fitting, and causing massive headaches for 3rd party people having to make appliers,   this was a stupid move on LL part.

NO, it really doesn't.

Even system avatars have a neck seam, where the default polymesh of the system body is divided into different texture mapped 'faces', lower body, upper body, and head.

Many old skins, tattoos, etc., have visible mismatches where the texture makers didn't get the match right.

SMART people learn to use the Developer Menu feature "show color under cursor" with the math of colour multiplication for a better match, while avoiding insane windlight settings claimed as 'cure alls' by people, that mess with ambient settings to the point that accurate colour matching becomes impossible.

Turning off advanced lighting is also a no no, lets destroy all those nice graphical improvements to hide a thin line thats more easily dealt with by less drastic methods. Nah NOT a good plan.

Easiest way if precse colour tint matching is a pain, wear a collar or choker, or a carefully fitted jewelery item, or simply accept that SL isn't a 4k x 4k multi texture set on a super hi-res mesh figure intended for ultra close up static renders in magazine publishing 8 inch x 11 inch 600 dpi resolution, and learn to live with a really insignificant line...

• Like 2

On 25/08/2017 at 9:51 AM, greek Wingtips said:

I agree, they should have upgraded the SL system shape mesh to be something good and professionally made. But no, ease of use was sacrificed to commercial altar. And thus now we have this very complicated mess in our hands. Lots of different mesh bodies and mesh heads, each requiring clothes specifically designed for each body type. It is a big chaos really.

It is interesting to note that in Sansar the default avatar meshes (male and female) are very detailed and well made. No need to design mesh bodies for the purpose of hiding ugly default body like in Second Life. So designers can concentrate in making awesome other stuff instead of the mesh bodies and heads. That is good and that is how it should have been in SL too.

16 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

It is interesting to note that in Sansar the default avatar meshes (male and female) are very detailed and well made. No need to design mesh bodies for the purpose of hiding ugly default body like in Second Life. So designers can concentrate in making awesome other stuff instead of the mesh bodies and heads. That is good and that is how it should have been in SL too.

I am going to wait and see on this one. I have heard lots of folks that are NOT happy with the default avatars LOL and while they are a step up certainly, they are not "on par" with typical game characters. So, personally I think there is a niche there just waiting to be filled. The fact that folks are making "other stuff" may have very little to do with what is needed and the perception of the folks that make those exceptional mesh bodies and head as to how WORTHWHILE it might be :D.

Time will tell. 

Historical note:  Everything is SL is backward compatible (well mostly), and if you really want to, you can still rezz the avatar to had 12 years ago.

To my mind this is good.  I rezz my non-mesh non-scripted avatar from time to time to go sailing or flying, because its low simulator footprint aids the process of sim crossing at pace.

Edited by anna2358
typo

• 2 years later...
15 minutes ago, ChloeEverling said:

I've another issue with my neck. I see two seams on each side.  I've done the neck fix on both body hud and head hud (Maitreya.Catwa) but I'm not seeing this go away.  Anyone have a fix for this? 

As Lillith said, it could be a hairbase bleeding past its seams, or it could be a leftover from something else. Just to be certain it's not the latter, open your Catwa Master HUD and clear the Neck Tattoo on both upper and lower layers (assuming that's a Bento head).

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

As Lillith said, it could be a hairbase bleeding past its seams, or it could be a leftover from something else. Just to be certain it's not the latter, open your Catwa Master HUD and clear the Neck Tattoo on both upper and lower layers (assuming that's a Bento head).

That worked!  thank you!!!! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.