13-15 year olds in SL, signing up

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was wondering if there any schools or organisations out there which sign up 13-15 year olds to there own private estates? Particularly using SL Reg API (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Registration_API).

I work for a youth cancer charity and we are in the middle of designing an estate for this age group, but of course to fit in with SL's Terms of Service the 13-15 year olds must be linked to our estate and sign up through our own web site using the SL Reg API, so I was wondering if it is possible to see some example of how other organisation are using this form of sign up?

Jonty Bluebird wrote:

I was wondering if there any schools or organisations out there which sign up 13-15 year olds to there own private estates? Particularly using SL Reg API (
).

I work for a youth cancer charity and we are in the middle of designing an estate for this age group, but of course to fit in with SL's Terms of Service the 13-15 year olds must be linked to our estate and sign up through our own web site using the SL Reg API, so I was wondering if it is possible to see some example of how other organisation are using this form of sign up?

I must have misunderstood quite drammatically. I believed that when LL closed the Teen Grid, they allowed only 15 (or was it 16?) plus teens to join SL. I didn't realise there were loop-holes which allowed even younger children to join. You learn something every day.

To sign up 'normaly', on https://join.secondlife.com you do have to be at least 16, but 13-15 year olds can as well, as long as they are linked to an organisation which owns land and that land is only set for 13-15 year old access.

2.2 Age Requirements for Use of Areas of the Service.(i) Users 13 to 15. If you are at least 13 years of age but less than 16 years of age, you may only use the Service if you are affiliated with a Sponsoring Organization, and your Account in Second Life is referred to as an “Affiliated Account.” A “Sponsoring Organization” means a User Organization (as defined in Section 2.4 below) that (i) maintains on the Service a “Teen Estate,” which is Virtual Land and Content that is appropriate for users between 13 and 16 and complies with the General Maturity Rating; (ii) has been approved by Linden Lab, in our sole discretion, to register Affiliated Accounts using our "Registration API" tool; (iii) limits the access of all Affiliated Accounts of users between 13 and 16 to the Sponsoring Organization’s Teen Estate; and (iv) requires all visitors to the Teen Estate to comply with the General Maturity Rating and any other rules that the Sponsoring Organization may impose as long as they are consistent with this Agreement. By accepting this Agreement in connection with an Affiliated Account, you represent that in addition to the representations of section 2.1, you are at least 13 years of age and less than 16 years of age, you agree that you will at all times comply with your Sponsoring Organization’s rules for the Teen Estate, and you acknowledge that you are only permitted to access your Sponsoring Organization’s Teen Estate and no other areas of the Service.

16 is the join age for SL, but educators can, I think, still create private estates accessible to their 13-15 year old students and to which those students are limited (they can't access other areas of SL outside of the private estate).

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Second_Life_Education/FAQs#I_have_students_that_are_under_18_years_old.3F_Can_I_use_Second_Life.3F

ETA: Ah, I see Jonty came back and clarified this as well, while I was busy looking for the above link.

Quinn Morani wrote:

16 is the join age for SL, but educators can, I think, still create private estates accessible to their 13-15 year old students and to which those students are limited (they can't access other areas of SL outside of the private estate).

ETA: Ah, I see Jonty came back and clarified this as well, while I was busy looking for the above link.

Like Quinn says, the users would be locked to that estate.

So I was wondering if any one has actualy set up one of these private estates and created a registration form on there own web site using SL Reg API - http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Registration_API ?

• 3 months later...

I've been trying to find information on this topic as well. I never received any answers - which, I suppose, is better than the rude answers this person received.

I'm sure I'll get mocked like they did, but I'll ask anyway - are there any education islands or sims that rent space for educators who can't afford their own entire island or sim?

2.2 Age Requirements for Use of Areas of the Service.

(i) Users 13 to 15. If you are at least 13 years of age but less than 16 years of age, you may only use the Service if you are affiliated with a Sponsoring Organization, and your Account in Second Life is referred to as an “Affiliated Account.” A “Sponsoring Organization” means a User Organization (as defined in Section 2.4 below) that (i) maintains on the Service a “Teen Estate,” which is Virtual Land and Content that is appropriate for users between 13 and 16 and complies with the General Maturity Rating; (ii) has been approved by Linden Lab, in our sole discretion, to register Affiliated Accounts using our "Registration API" tool; (iii) limits the access of all Affiliated Accounts of users between 13 and 16 to the Sponsoring Organization’s Teen Estate; and (iv) requires all visitors to the Teen Estate to comply with the General Maturity Rating and any other rules that the Sponsoring Organization may impose as long as they are consistent with this Agreement. By accepting this Agreement in connection with an Affiliated Account, you represent that in addition to the representations of section 2.1, you are at least 13 years of age and less than 16 years of age, you agree that you will at all times comply with your Sponsoring Organization’s rules for the Teen Estate, and you acknowledge that you are only permitted to access your Sponsoring Organization’s Teen Estate and no other areas of the Service.

Another avenue is to look for corporations who have used the RegAPI. Linden Lab reused the RegAPI and estate features set up for corporations when they allowed 13-15s to sign up. Companies often don't want avatars (often bearing the name of the corporation as their last name) to be seen in the more interesting parts of SL, so LL set up a way to restrict the avatars to a single estate (and not to have access to the Marketplace). Those features came in handy when the grids merged.

I know someone who's part of a company that sets up RegAPI for others. They work with charities a lot too. I'll send you a notecard in-world with the information. I think the guidelines don't allow me to post it here.

I didn't see any of the answers as being particularly rude, even if a few of them weren't aware of locked estate accounts.

the answers remain pretty much the same... join the SL Educators group and ask about it.... Blondin is gone IIRC but they should at the very least be able to point you to who is in charge of that now, and probably a few of the organizations that run such estates.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.