Meri Fermi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi there,

I lost the most important file in my inventory, after I received the message for overloaded trash file then I emptied the trash box and lost my most important file with the recent shopping items from my inventory.

Do you have any idea how to take it back, is there any way to restart the SL with older time for example, I tried clearing cache but didnt work

Will be appreciated if you help me

Thank you

20 answers to this question

if you didn't get warnings about being sure to empty the trash you urgently need to update your viewer... and if in spite of those warnings you still clicked the confirmation...ehm sorry but you did it.

and i'm affraid.... gone is gone

but you can always try to see if there's a redelivery system for the items you bought.

38 minutes ago, Meri Fermi said:

after I received the message for overloaded trash file then I emptied the trash box and lost my most important file with the recent shopping items from my inventory.

I'm somewhat curious as to why you put your "most important" file into trash in the first place O.o. It's not the best place really...

As it seems to be something you say you only recently bought (how important can something you just bought be?), chances are there is a re-delivery system as Alwin said. Or failing that, just do it the old fashioned way and contact the store owner and ask them nicely if they'll resend it.

13 minutes ago, wesleytron said:

I'm somewhat curious as to why you put your "most important" file into trash in the first place O.o. It's not the best place really...

It was a known bug issue

http://blog.nalates.net/2017/05/20/second-life-inventory-loss-warning-yikes/

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, wesleytron said:

As it seems to be something you say you only recently bought (how important can something you just bought be?), chances are there is a re-delivery system as Alwin said. Or failing that, just do it the old fashioned way and contact the store owner and ask them nicely if they'll resend it.

First of all I didn't put the file into trash, my file was always in my inventory. Second when I deleted some other item I rceived the message about trash box which was almost full then I emptied the truth. After that I went back to my inventory list but the file was not there anymore. I hope I could explain waht happened exactly. That may be a quencidence that I lost my file after I emptied the trash,but I noticed that some other people also had the same problem. They lost some files in their inventory after they emptied their trash box.

Thanks again

26 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

40 minutes ago, wesleytron said:

First of all I didn't put the file into trash, my file was always in my inventory. Second when I deleted some other item I rceived the message about trash box which was almost full then I emptied the truth. After that I went back to my inventory list but the file was not there anymore. I hope I could explain waht happened exactly. That may be a quencidence that I lost my file after I emptied the trash,but I noticed that some other people also had the same problem. They lost some files in their inventory after they emptied their trash box.

Thanks agai

33 minutes ago, Meri Fermi said:

I rceived the message about trash box which was almost full then I emptied the truth.

,but I noticed that some other people also had the same problem.

They lost some files in their inventory after they emptied their trash box.

you didn't reply to the remark about the obsolete viewer, or when on a updated one the warning you got before empty your trash, now you reply to the symptom..but forget to look at the cause.

7 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If it's a new item,make sure you get your transaction history from your account page..

Also like what was suggested before,see if there is a redeliver option if the seller  has a main store..

If you ask a merchant for a redelivery of a no copy item, refer them to this thread or the JIRA so they know this is not just a case of you not being able to locate it in inventory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meri Fermi said:

This is a long and ongoing issue and while the newer versions of the official viewer and Firestorm now have fixed PART of it and give you a warning about how many items you are about to delete, the ONGOING and apparently more frequent "inventory disappearances" are still happening.  

A long thread on this for those who missed it is here:

It is VERY likely (from my personal and ongoing issues) that the disappearance had absolutely NOTHING to do with you. While you have a few choices to get things back, your chances are slim unless you can get a redelivery of the item from a kiosk or the creator IF it was a product that you lost and IF it is still available. 

NOTE that even WITH a new viewer version (I have the latest FS and have for a long while) the folder movement and loss of inventory continues.  If you know the exact name of the item there is a slightly better chance for its return.  I can't say that I have had any great success with that though.

DO get a viewer update though, that at least helps with SOME of the bugs. 

EDIT:   Looking though this morning's unread content I noted a new SL viewer out with lots of changes as to the Trash.  These don't actually sound all that promising to me, but hopefully some stuff "underneath" is also getting changed :D. Anyway here is a screenshot of that part of the release notification.  

The trash purge message has included the number of items for quite awhile now so not sure what that actually means. 

viewerupdate.JPG.e2ce1408a095a4d9f3a370bb688d1ca7.JPG

Edited by Chic Aeon

4 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

If you ask a merchant for a redelivery of a no copy item, refer them to this thread or the JIRA so they know this is not just a case of you not being able to locate it in inventory.

I usually see if there is a redeliver terminal first thing if there ever is any sort of problem..

I've never really deleted anything on accident before..I'm  really cautious before I click that final clean button..

I do a double check in there to make sure there is nothing put in there by mistake..As many demos as I toss out all the time,I just want to make sure something I bought didn't get caught up in the shift click to grab a bunch of stuff at one time..

It's always been a, hold my breath, moment clicking the clean button..hehehehe

11 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I usually see if there is a redeliver terminal first thing if there ever is any sort of problem..

Redelivery terminals are only for things 1) purchased through a networked vendor of the same brand as the terminal and 2) copyable. 

22 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm not the one that lost my stuff.. Are you mistaking me for the OP?

hehehehe

Just clarifying -- a lot of people think, for example, a box they bought inworld, is going to show up on a Caspervend redelivery terminal. 

6 hours ago, Meri Fermi said:

Thanks agai

It is a bug. A particularly troublesome one. The Lindens have made changes to the viewer and Firestorm has too. But, the basic changes they made are to make sure people realize they are about to hit delete. There is some effort to get people to LOOK AT what they are about to delete. Programmers not being the best communicators have not made it clear WHY you need to be looking at the list. 

They are unlikely to ever pop up a warning saying, "Look closely at what you are about to delete as our system is randomly and mysteriously adding folders and things to the trash that you would probably like to keep..."

The JIRA has case histories from those that have experienced your problem. If this happened in the last 4 days... jump over to the JIRA and fill out as detailed a bug report as you can. The Lindens are looking for the bug. After 4 days the logs may have been overwritten. So, the reporting is time sensitive. Include the exact time, or as near as you can get, of when the deletion happened. It reduces the amount of server log entries they have to look through.

When the bug bites... for whatever cause, other folders and stuff are appearing in trash. Ones the users say they are certain they did NOT put there. So, for now the idea is to look closely at the continents of TRASH before clicking delete.

So, while you are certain you did not place the stuff in the trash, we are telling you your trash-deletion click did probably delete the items. Not your fault. Avoid thinking 'blame' or 'mistake' when we say your emptying trash was the problem. Think TRIGGER for a bug... ouch!

At this point a JIRA cross referenced to a trouble ticket or vice-vera is about your only chance of recovering the discard. A redelivery is a more likely way to recover.

Just wanted to note that beyond that bug from awhile back and the changes being made, there are still major inventory issues going on that have nothing to do with the "your trash is overflowing" bug that was fixed. 

I did just now however get back a "chocker" that I put in a ticket for the day before yesterday I think. No message from support, it just reappeared in its original folder and  with the rest of the set. (ALL were gone from anywhere in my inventory a couple of days ago but had been there a week or so ago as I blogged the item and have photo proof LOL.)

Anyway if the OP happens to know or can find out THE EXACT NAME of her most precious item  -- and turn in a ticket with that info it looks possible that she may get that one thing back. 

I have no idea of other lost items from the same time came back to me. I have been noticing folders appearing in odd spots still (another thread verified by a Linden that it really was an issue) and things have been disappearing and textures corrupted so its not over for some of us anyway :D

But happy to have that choker back. 

EDIT: Well I forgot my original point I wanted to make :D.  I NOW carefully not only look at my trash before deleting (I always looked just not quite so carefully) I also OPEN ever folder to make sure that there isn't a folder inside a folder.  This has not solved my issues and things are still disappearing -- seemingly much more often in than in the past. 

My only non-techie thought is that the databases are getting larger ever day and may have come to a critical juncture. I have friends that work in RL database backend stuff so while I don't understand how it all works, I DO understand how complex it can be. 

So just "looking at your trash before deleting" is NOT solving the issues -- THAT was what I really wanted to say. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

It is a bug. A particularly troublesome one. The Lindens have made changes to the viewer and Firestorm has too. But, the basic changes they made are to make sure people realize they are about to hit delete. There is some effort to get people to LOOK AT what they are about to delete. Programmers not being the best communicators have not made it clear WHY you need to be looking at the list. 

They are unlikely to ever pop up a warning saying, "Look closely at what you are about to delete as our system is randomly and mysteriously adding folders and things to the trash that you would probably like to keep..."

The JIRA has case histories from those that have experienced your problem. If this happened in the last 4 days... jump over to the JIRA and fill out as detailed a bug report as you can. The Lindens are looking for the bug. After 4 days the logs may have been overwritten. So, the reporting is time sensitive. Include the exact time, or as near as you can get, of when the deletion happened. It reduces the amount of server log entries they have to look through.

When the bug bites... for whatever cause, other folders and stuff are appearing in trash. Ones the users say they are certain they did NOT put there. So, for now the idea is to look closely at the continents of TRASH before clicking delete.

So, while you are certain you did not place the stuff in the trash, we are telling you your trash-deletion click did probably delete the items. Not your fault. Avoid thinking 'blame' or 'mistake' when we say your emptying trash was the problem. Think TRIGGER for a bug... ouch!

At this point a JIRA cross referenced to a trouble ticket or vice-vera is about your only chance of recovering the discard. A redelivery is a more likely way to recover.

Thank you very much for your help. Yes I am certain that I did not place that folder in to trash.I only emptied the trash when I received overloaded message after I deleted some other items.And now when I try to wear one of the the outfit  files the items in this lost folder are also missing.The hair,feet,some shoes,....I loaded firestorm after I lost my folder but the folder is still missing.I wish we could contact with Lindens and could restart SL with the date before this accident happened:). Could you please tell me how can I send a trouble ticket about this issue.

Thank you very much,

I have for years only emptied trash about once a year -- I have always been that paranoid about losing stuff. And it does not bother me to have stuff in trash. It's not like it is going to overflow onto the floor.

When I got the message to empty overflowing trash I ignored it. 

18 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I have for years only emptied trash about once a year -- I have always been that paranoid about losing stuff.

Whereas I empty my trash at least once every login and often multiple times.  I find I can empty it without less worry if I can easily look through everything that is in there.  If it gets too large, that is when I would start being more afraid of what might be there that I don't notice.  Over all my years here, I've only lost a few items from inventory - that I'm aware of anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.