Deleted inventory texture remains visible

vickybellamorte

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I uploaded with viewer a picture from my computer; then i used it inworld as a texture over a prim i built with the viewer building tools. Then, i deleted texture from inventory and also from trash, but when i rezz my prim, i still seeing the texture. I deleted viewer cache too, but the deleted texture remains visible...WHY?

6 answers to this question

Because you have a fundamental misunderstanding about the relationship between your viewer, your inventory, and the asset servers. When you upload an asset to SL, it is loaded in the asset servers, available for anyone who has permission to use it.  Your inventory is essentially a lookup table that lists all of the assets in SL that you have permission to use, regardless of who put them in the asset servers.  When you delete something from your inventory, all you are doing is removing your own access to the item in the servers.  The item remains there forever (or at least until LL decides for whatever reason to wipe the server memory).  If that were not true, then each time a creator leaves SL, all of his creations would vanish.  Everyone who had ever bought them or built with them would no longer have them.

So, the texture is still on your prim because it is a permanent asset in SL.  If you are the only person who knows that it exists, because you have never given anyone else permission to use that texture, it will remain in the asset servers but be inaccessible once you delete the only prim that is displaying it.  Even you cannot use it again if you have also deleted it from your inventory.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Once you upload a texture into SL, it will never be deleted, even after you delete the texture from your inventory.

LOL. UNLESS of course the DATABASE loses it!   But yes, typically correct. You made me smile there!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There is a 'garbage' collection process run on the asset servers. It is possible for things to be removed. It has been years since any of the operations people have talked about the size of the SL Assets Database and removal processes. 2012... 2013... not sure, may be earlier, but at the time the data base was about 200 petabytes. That was after they had just run a database cleanup to remove unused items.

The Lindens are semi-paranoid about deleting things and breaking content. So, I suspect the cleanup process does a detailed search for use of any item anywhere in SL by anyone or thing before making it for deletion.

If you have removed all your uses of the texture, deleted all copies, and you were the only one to use it, I suspect sometime after you empty trash it will be deleted from the Asset Servers.

You can test this by recording the UUID of the texture, then deleting it and emptying trash. At some future date try to using the UUID to pull up the texture. I have no idea if garbage collection is monthly, annual, bi-annual...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.