I hate Tuesdays.

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can't log in. Tried loads of places.  Always happens on a Tuesday.

Why can't Linden Labs reboot in the middle of the night for Europeans once in while?

EDIT:

Now this is wierd, I can't log in even to Aditi.  And I can't log into my account at Secondlife.com.

What have they broken this week?

Edited by anna2358

Looks like they have seriously damaged something at Linden Labs.  Maybe it's a terrorist attack, or the CIA having a bad hair day.

It would be nice if they put out a tweet or updated the A couple of hours ago's status page.

• Haha 1

They broke the hell out of it again... 

5 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

"Shrek Ears of Shame" time again it seems... Reports coming in...

People unable to detach attachments

People unable to attach attachments (attampt to rez object failed)

People unable to TP using LM's (but they can use an lm to show the location on the map and tp via map)

In-World profiles completely missing

Seems to have started about 5:20 am PDT...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

Can't log in. Tried loads of places.  Always happens on a Tuesday.

Why can't Linden Labs reboot in the middle of the night for Europeans once in while?

EDIT:

Now this is wierd, I can't log in even to Aditi.  And I can't log into my account at Secondlife.com.

What have they broken this week?

Whew and i thought my account got hacked xD. couldnt log in at all

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ruby43 said:

There for ever messing with something they dont need to mess with. It was supposed to be a regular restart, which now turns into login issues :(

Login issues are the least of it, they broke the hell out of the connection with world.secondlife.com, thats all the profile data, pictures, payment status, age everything, so potentially, any script that acces that for your details before say deciding you are too young or not eligible to stay on a parcel, cant find you and may boot/ban you.

They also broke the hell out of the asset server link, cant attach or detach any items, LM's dont work because it cant find the destination info (but can display it on the map for a manual map tp, madness).

This is a serious fubar, and it's not limited to the sims they are actuallt rolling today, it affects the RC channel sims too, so theres a whole update going on behind the restart roll, that they neglected to mention, on the shared infrastructure of SL it's self.

This is a serious fubar. Shrek Ears all round.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Login issues are the least of it, they broke the hell out of the connection with world.secondlife.com, thats all the profile data, pictures, payment status, age everything, so potentially, any script that acces that for your details before say deciding you are too young or not eligible to stay on a parcel, cant find you and may boot/ban you.

They also broke the hell out of the asset server link, cant attach or detach any items, LM's dont work because it cant find the destination info (but can display it on the map for a manual map tp, madness).

This is a serious fubar, and it's not limited to the sims they are actuallt rolling today, it affects the RC channel sims too, so theres a whole update going on behind the restart roll, that they neglected to mention, on the shared infrastructure of SL it's self.

This is a serious fubar. Shrek Ears all round.

Yes I agree, this is not the 1st time this has happened either , I cant recall exactly when but a few months back there was a similar mishap.

1 minute ago, Ruby43 said:

Yes I agree, this is not the 1st time this has happened either , I cant recall exactly when but a few months back there was a similar mishap.

...sighs..... i can remember a lot worse...and longer ago... the grid was down for several days! ..

till now this is just a little burp behind the hand when having to much soda.

• Like 2

Linden Lab does rolling restarts, so it usually takes 24 hours for the entire grid to update, so all timezones get affected, it is just a matter of which sim you are on.

As for LL hurrying up, LL is going as fast as they can, but not too fast as to make the situation worse. Figuring out what causes the issue and making sure it doesn't happen again takes a bit of time. Just remember, SL is made of many moving parts in many different languages(C++, Ruby, Python, Perl, PHP, Javascript, Shell, etc) with many people who wrote different pieces of it. As a developer, I can say figuring out what causes a major outage and fixing it quickly would be a nightmare.

As for what broke, I would imagine the master database has broke(Don't worry, all the hippos as well as your assets are safe!), because users cannot even log in using id.secondlife.com. The only reason we can use the forums is because IPB actually does the hosting for the forums, and because we have old session keys. I'd imagine people cannot log into the forums using the new system either.

For those wondering "What does the master database do?", it works as sort of a router for the slaves and keeps the slave databases up to date and synchronized. It helps keep the system working quickly as all the queries SL does can slow down a single server, but balancing the load on a bunch of them makes it go really fast.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ruby43 said:

Well if you are inworld, its pretty lonely around here. I can walk and fly to other sims, but no TP and no notecards, etc, you name it, its borked ;)

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

...sighs..... i can remember a lot worse...and longer ago... the grid was down for several days! ..

till now this is just a little burp behind the hand when having to much soda.

The sky was falling in about 10 minutes of log ins affected ¬¬

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.