Decency ? Modesty ?

1 hour ago, Velk Kerang said:

I actually want to correct something on this so new people aren't confused. While technically correct in terms of game ratings it is also incorrect as PG is more often then not the term used to describe General regions on SL, but more to the point PG sims are clearly labeled as such in either the title and/or description. It is done this way so there is no room for misinterpretation. Just because there is not a little setting with the name on it doesn't mean they don't exist. So yes they very well can expect the rules of their sim to be respected and yes they can very well expect it to remain PG. Anyone who thinks otherwise finds themselves on the ban list. It's common sense 101 really. Dress appropriately for the sims your going to.👍😎

Reread my post and the next one I made.   I explained it fully.  No, they are not always clearly labeled.  The only CLEAR rating is the one at the top which are General, Moderate and Adult. 

"Clubs that are in Moderate areas that have very specific rules on dress should have it prominently displayed at several point upon landing.  Or hand out a notecard.  They can't expect PG when there is no such rating on land."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Modesty is a fine virtue when observed in others, and a most disgraceful form of vanity when held as an ideal. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Reread my post and the next one I made.   I explained it fully.  No, they are not always clearly labeled.  The only CLEAR rating is the one at the top which are General, Moderate and Adult. 

"Clubs that are in Moderate areas that have very specific rules on dress should have it prominently displayed at several point upon landing.  Or hand out a notecard.  They can't expect PG when there is no such rating on land."

I found your post common sense 101. :)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Reread my posts and you'll know I am not debating everything you said, but rather then amending, correcting, and elaborating on points you already made more clearly. In terms of the examples I gave as in schools and such where kid avatars go yes they are ALWAYS labeled. They are clearly labeled as such because when it comes to kid avatars and adult content LL does not play. I've known entire sims and the people on them that have been banned in the past for lack of strict moderation to this rule.🤔

You say they can't expect to have a PG sim just because of the rating on the region. That is also incorrect. If the sim owner makes the rules clearly available then they absolutely can. It's your responsibility as a guest on the sim you're visiting to ensure you know what the rules are of the sim you're visiting. I only even bothered to comment on this so people don't find themselves on the wrong side of the ban hammer. What part of what I said is a problem for you? Because I'll be happy to clear it up.😎

9 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I found your post common sense 101. :)

You obviously didn't study. lol🤣

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Velk Kerang said:

They are clearly labeled as such because when it comes to kid avatars and adult content LL does not play.

Child avatars and adult conduct do not belong together.  Agreed.  However, children can be in Moderate areas which include nudity with no violations.  In fact, nudity of adult avatars and child avatars together is not a violation in a Moderate area.  Creepy, yes, in my opinion but allowed.  So you saying they are ALWAYS labeled is incorrect.  I  also don't mean schools or daycare centers.  There are several family friendly beaches on Moderate land that allow nudity.  

I'm sure you haven't visited ever child friendly place to be able to say they ALL make it clear what is allowed and what isn't.  That it why I said they need to have it displayed in several areas along with a notecard.  If they truly want to be totally kid friendly, General regions would be better.  There is NO ambiguity as to what is allowed there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Child avatars and adult conduct do not belong together.  Agreed.  However, children can be in Moderate areas which include nudity with no violations.  In fact, nudity of adult avatars and child avatars together is not a violation in a Moderate area.  Creepy, yes, in my opinion but allowed.  So you saying they are ALWAYS labeled is incorrect.  I  also don't mean schools or daycare centers.  There are several family friendly beaches on Moderate land that allow nudity.  

I'm sure you haven't visited ever child friendly place to be able to say they ALL make it clear what is allowed and what isn't.  That it why I said they need to have it displayed in several areas along with a notecard.  If they truly want to be totally kid friendly, General regions would be better.  There is NO ambiguity as to what is allowed there.

I see what's happening here. We're getting or wires crossed. When I say PG I am referring to places set up in these family communities specifically for families and kids on SL. Which I actually have been to most if not all of. Not always by choice. lol I'm not talking about simply child avatar friendly places. On those it's the responsibility of the parents and the person playing the child to check out. Those aren't always labeled. I agree there. 👍

I also can't say I've met anyone playing as a kid on SL in their right mind who would even go to such beaches because like you they'd also find that extremely creepy as would I. Now while it may not be clearly labeled in the TOS I can say most will not go to such a place because their accounts can and even some have been banned for such activities and this was just at normal beaches. I'm talking things like just sitting in a standard cuddle pose on a beach lounger. This is why most people who play kid avatars will not sit on any furniture in a public place if it even remotely has any adult poses in them.🤔

Kid avatars on SL have a huge target on their backs more often then not sadly and will only go to PG rated family sims and only around people they actually know. And honestly anything past that really isn't PG in my book. It's more like PG-13 at best and even that is reaching. lol So what your classing as PG and what I am classing as PG doesn't seem to be the same thing. So really we're both correct depending on how you choose to look at it. When I think PG I think more a long the lines of a Disney film. You're not going to see nudity and all that other mess mate. lol👍😎

It would be better to use the SL/LL terminology.  General, Moderate, Adult. There is no "PG".

General: A region designated General is not allowed to advertise or make available content or activity that is sexually explicit, violent, or depicts nudity.  Sexually-oriented objects such as "sex beds" or poseballs may not be located or sold in General regions.

Moderate: Second Life's Moderate designation accommodates most of the non-adult activities common in Second Life. Dance clubs, bars, stores and malls, galleries, music venues, beaches, parks, and other spaces for socializing, creating, and learning all support a Moderate designation so long as they do not host publicly promoted adult activities or content and do not use adult search tags. Groups, events and classifieds that relate to this broad range of activities and themes generally should also be designated as Moderate.   NOTE:  I think this includes nudity as long as nothing is sexual in nature.

Adult: 

The Adult designation applies to Second Life regions that host, conduct, or display content that is sexually explicit, intensely violent, or depicts illicit drug use.  A region must be designated Adult if it hosts, advertises, or publicly promotes:

• Representations of intensely violent acts, for example depicting death, torture, dismemberment or other severe bodily harm, whether or not photo-realistic (meaning that images either are or cannot be distinguished from a photograph).
  • Photo-realistic nudity.
  • Expressly sexually themed content, spaces or activities, whether or not photo-realistic. We broadly define what is "sexually themed" to include any sexually oriented activities and conduct.

Regions should, by default, follow these simple guidelines.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

It would be better to use the SL/LL terminology.  General, Moderate, Adult. There is no "PG".

General: A region designated General is not allowed to advertise or make available content or activity that is sexually explicit, violent, or depicts nudity.  Sexually-oriented objects such as "sex beds" or poseballs may not be located or sold in General regions.

Moderate: Second Life's Moderate designation accommodates most of the non-adult activities common in Second Life. Dance clubs, bars, stores and malls, galleries, music venues, beaches, parks, and other spaces for socializing, creating, and learning all support a Moderate designation so long as they do not host publicly promoted adult activities or content and do not use adult search tags. Groups, events and classifieds that relate to this broad range of activities and themes generally should also be designated as Moderate.   NOTE:  I think this includes nudity as long as nothing is sexual in nature.

Adult: 

The Adult designation applies to Second Life regions that host, conduct, or display content that is sexually explicit, intensely violent, or depicts illicit drug use.  A region must be designated Adult if it hosts, advertises, or publicly promotes:

• Representations of intensely violent acts, for example depicting death, torture, dismemberment or other severe bodily harm, whether or not photo-realistic (meaning that images either are or cannot be distinguished from a photograph).
  • Photo-realistic nudity.
  • Expressly sexually themed content, spaces or activities, whether or not photo-realistic. We broadly define what is "sexually themed" to include any sexually oriented activities and conduct.

Regions should, by default, follow these simple guidelines.

Also to add to this, there is no ban on child avatars in adult regions.  It's completely up to the region owner.  I live on adult land.  There is nothing prohibiting a child avatar visiting my home.  However, if I did, I'd probably remove any adult furniture just to be on the side of caution.  

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Also to add to this, there is no ban on child avatars in adult regions.  It's completely up to the region owner.  I live on adult land.  There is nothing prohibiting a child avatar visiting my home.  However, if I did, I'd probably remove any adult furniture just to be on the side of caution.  

Indeed, there's nothing stopping a club/venue from being a brothel on the weekends and a family friendly birthday place on weekdays. Would be kinda weird, but the point is they /could/ as long as their rating is "A" for Adult.

• Like 6

On 8/21/2021 at 11:07 AM, Orwar said:

That shawl needs to be tighter around the neck as to not risk any bare skin beneath the chin being seen .. Actually it might be best if it was supplemented with a veil for the face so that the nose and lips don't show at all. Also red is obviously sinful so we can't have that. And that much forehead on display is really on the edge .. I would pair it with a Valsgarde style helmet just to ensure complete anonymity. 

V8-complete-11.jpg

.. I wonder if they come with fully opaque sunglass lenses.

Why yes, yes they do! And they come in gold, too!

029e0b5b-b6e0-413f-87bf-dd912eeda27a.jpg

00xp-DARTH2-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This might have been brought up, and if so i appologize for not reading every comment. But ther is something I wonder about in regards to this modesty thing. I often wonder how many of the people who dress in revieling clothes in SL, would also do so in RL is they had the body in RL they have in SL.

18 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

This might have been brought up, and if so i appologize for not reading every comment. But ther is something I wonder about in regards to this modesty thing. I often wonder how many of the people who dress in revieling clothes in SL, would also do so in RL is they had the body in RL they have in SL.

I'd not dress that way in RL. I prefer comfy clothes and not freezing. 
On a more dark note, it'd likely also put me in danger. Sad to say, but that's how it is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

I'd not dress that way in RL. I prefer comfy clothes and not freezing. 
On a more dark note, it'd likely also put me in danger. Sad to say, but that's how it is

Yes there are other considerations that would influence and individuals choice of clothing. But I am betting that there would be more people out there in skimpy clothes.

59 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

I don't think this is too skimpy but if I had this body in RL and was as the appropriate age I definitely would wear something like this out. Maybe not to shop at Target but a night out for a casual dinner or dancing at a club. Absolutely I would.

6899e548f8213050fe1dea97c99ba533.png

• Like 6

I keep seeing the "PG" rating being linked to G rated sims and the like.  Another post, I think, linked it to movie rating systems.  So now I'm confused. Where can people be naked and where can they not? 

I do not recall seeing a G rated film that had nudity, but I have seen PG rated films with nudity (like the 1980 film Airplane! is rated PG and had nudity in it (if you do not recall, and or not seen, there is a brief moment when people are panicking and a topless woman bounces up and down in the plane aisle way)). 

1 minute ago, PJBear said:

I keep seeing the "PG" rating being linked to G rated sims and the like.  Another post, I think, linked it to movie rating systems.  So now I'm confused. Where can people be naked and where can they not? 

I do not recall seeing a G rated film that had nudity, but I have seen PG rated films with nudity (like the 1980 film Airplane! is rated PG and had nudity in it (if you do not recall, and or not seen, there is a brief moment when people are panicking and a topless woman bounces up and down in the plane aisle way)). 

TV and movie ratings have nothing to do with SL and people who are referencing them are being  purposefully obfuscational.

On "G" land, there's no nudity (or excessive violence) period. keep things kid-friendly.

On "M" land, you can have nudity, but there are (mainly) 2 considerations,

1. You need keep it plausible to the setting.
  2. You can't advertise (the definition of "advertise" is intentionally quite loose) sex or intensely violent activities on "M" land.

On "A" land almost anything goes, with a few exceptions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, PJBear said:

Here you go.  Maturity rates defined and how to use them.  General is the only one specifically designed with No nudity or adult activity.  Both are allowed in Moderate areas with caveats Or disallowed per region owner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just remember though that even though regions have a "M rating" doesn't mean you can just run around naked. The region owner is the one that controls what is allowed on their land and what isn't and can eject and ban you if you don't follow the rules.  Even if the region owner has an "A rating" doesn't mean you can do whatever you want on that land if they have rules against it.  However a region owner cannot have nudity on a G-rated region even if they allow it.  

For instance, a lot of clubs on M-rated land do not allow nudity.  Their land, their rules.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Just remember though that even though regions have a "M rating" doesn't mean you can just run around naked. The region owner is the one that controls what is allowed on their land and what isn't and can eject and ban you if you don't follow the rules.  Even if the region owner has an "A rating" doesn't mean you can do whatever you want on that land if they have rules against it.  However a region owner cannot have nudity on a G-rated region even if they allow it.  

For instance, a lot of clubs on M-rated land do not allow nudity.  Their land, their rules.

I go to one Adult rated place that although they allow nudity in the club itself, all male genitalia must be in the downward position.  Also, all furniture in the club is PG.  (Yes, furniture CAN have that rating.)  For adult activity, they have other areas you can access from the main club.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

If I could get rid of the tummy I have these days after also developing a bit of a bust (will need hormones for that) then - situation depending - I'd absolutely wear some of the clothing in my Second Life wardrobe, in Real Life .... assuming I could buy it!

9 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

Nope. Most of the revealing clothes I have are fantasy/costumes though. Even amongst the casual clothes, I've never worn things like miniskirt in RL and wouldn't want to. My avatar isn't me, that said I have lots of relatively modest clothes for her and wear those most often cos I think they look nice.

Too many people confuse or compare RL and SL.

SL is not RL - it's a game - perfect for doing things that I don't do in RL. This whole discussions are pointless and are only good for a laugh. 😁

I see that many try to make a 2nd 1st life in SL. Well you have my pity but it's your business - just don't project anything of your limited view on others. 😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nova Convair said:

This whole discussions are pointless

No, I don't think so. It points out that everyone comes to SL for their own reasons, and that we should be accepting of the way others approach it. This is a lesson we can't hear to often.

• Like 3

Oddly, after the first two pages. OP has never come back and discussed with people who have gone from ""decency, modesty" to Region ratings. 

Bottom line is:  Go out and look for G rated regions (which is not a guarantee that women won't be scantily dressed) or use more precise verbiage in search.   Otherwise he, is basically screwed, unless he buys and regulates his own region. 

image.png.717b75f5ea7a7597d7600ccb15282b48.png

Edited by Doris Johnsky
  • Like 1