Decency ? Modesty ?

29 minutes ago, Orwar said:

That shawl needs to be tighter around the neck as to not risk any bare skin beneath the chin being seen .. Actually it might be best if it was supplemented with a veil for the face so that the nose and lips don't show at all. Also red is obviously sinful so we can't have that. And that much forehead on display is really on the edge .. I would pair it with a Valsgarde style helmet just to ensure complete anonymity. 

V8-complete-11.jpg

.. I wonder if they come with fully opaque sunglass lenses.

Nice

I personally don't care what people wear especially if I am in an adult place. The only time it's ever been an issue for me is when someone will TP to a PG sim with kid avatars with their ass all hanging out and act offended when they get told to leave. That's just funny to me as I don't mind offending away in those cases. lol I find there are a large amount of people on the platform that do not use common sense when it comes to dressing on SL. That's definitely a THEM problem. lol👍

For example I've been at clubs and I've seen people get rudely chewed out for something as simple as paying a polite compliment out to someone because they wore the sexy reveal all outfit. I'm thinking if you don't want the attention then don't wear the bare all so we can share all outfit and problem solved. lol It's free entertainment though so there is always that. lol😎

9 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Is this what you prefer?

Actually, the other day in a hair shop I saw someone wearing what looked like a "baju kurung" (I'll leave you to google what those look like). It was really pretty. Meant to ask her where she got it but I got distracted and she poofed away.

4 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

Actually, the other day in a hair shop I saw someone wearing what looked like a "baju kurung" (I'll leave you to google what those look like). It was really pretty. Meant to ask her where she got it but I got distracted and she poofed away.

She probably got it at Zaara.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

I was actually being sarcastic  lol

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 4:48 AM, Velk Kerang said:

I personally don't care what people wear especially if I am in an adult place. The only time it's ever been an issue for me is when someone will TP to a PG sim with kid avatars with their ass all hanging out and act offended when they get told to leave. That's just funny to me as I don't mind offending away in those cases. lol I find there are a large amount of people on the platform that do not use common sense when it comes to dressing on SL. That's definitely a THEM problem. lol👍

For example I've been at clubs and I've seen people get rudely chewed out for something as simple as paying a polite compliment out to someone because they wore the sexy reveal all outfit. I'm thinking if you don't want the attention then don't wear the bare all so we can share all outfit and problem solved. lol It's free entertainment though so there is always that. lol😎

So you say the state of dress, i.e. a revealing dress, is an invitation to comments, and should thus be okay with the recipent?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

So you say the state of dress, i.e. a revealing dress, is an invitation to comments, and should thus be okay with the recipent?

I don't know, but it seems to me just logging on is an invitation to comments. Of course rude is rude, and such comments should be dealt with accordingly, but If someone isn't rude there is no reason to get bent out of shape over it.

26 minutes ago, BiliEyelash said:

I don't know, but it seems to me just logging on is an invitation to comments. Of course rude is rude, and such comments should be dealt with accordingly, but If someone isn't rude there is no reason to get bent out of shape over it.

But in that case, just plain existing would be an invitation to comments as well. And for some people, that is the case. Of course, most people are fine with compliments, and only react to the rudes ones - but I know people who'd rather have no compliments as well. They just want to be left alone. 
Also, I'm more at the "who's to blame" - and for that, I think it'd be important to examine what an invitation actually is. 

4 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

But in that case, just plain existing would be an invitation to comments as well

Except that no one chooses to exist. Everyone logged on to SL made a choice to do so. I would argue that making that choice means you are accepting certain attributes of the platform, such as the possibility that someone is going to try to talk to you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BiliEyelash said:

Except that no one chooses to exist. Everyone logged on to SL made a choice to do so. I would argue that making that choice means you are accepting certain attributes of the platform, such as the possibility that someone is going to try to talk to you.

I think there's a difference between accepting possibilities and outright inviting them.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 9:48 PM, Velk Kerang said:

Kid avatars are ADULTS, or at least they should be.  I'll agree with the PG part but to be fair a lot of clubs have turned PG yet are on M-rated land. That's what I think people get irritated with. That fact that it's PG is written on some "rules" wall way off in the corner. If you are on M-rated land and are a PG club at least have a announcement that pops up before you even enter the club. It would solve a lot of issues.

The bolded part is what men think gives them the right to make unwanted sexual advances toward women and is wrong on so many levels.

5 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

But in that case, just plain existing would be an invitation to comments as well. And for some people, that is the case. Of course, most people are fine with compliments, and only react to the rudes ones - but I know people who'd rather have no compliments as well. They just want to be left alone. 
Also, I'm more at the "who's to blame" - and for that, I think it'd be important to examine what an invitation actually is. 

Unless I know the person I really couldn't care less who likes my outfit especially since 500+ other women have the same outfit. Unless you want to know where I got the outfit just admire without IMing.   

• Like 1

Just an FYI...there is NO PG rating for land.  It's General, Moderate or Adult.  If you don't want Moderate content, go to a General area.  No explicit Adult,  stay in Moderate or General.  Clubs that are in Moderate areas that have very specific rules on dress should have it prominently displayed at several point upon landing.  Or hand out a notecard.  They can't expect PG when there is no such rating on land.  Nudity IS allowed in Moderate regions.

Moderate Land

Residents in these spaces should therefore expect to see a variety of themes and content. Stores that sell a range of content that includes some "sexy" clothing or objects can generally reside in Moderate rather than Adult regions. Dance clubs that feature "burlesque" acts can also generally reside in Moderate regions as long as they don't promote sexual conduct, for instance through pose balls (whether in "backrooms" or more visible spaces). However if any of these businesses uses adult-oriented search tags, the region may be categorized as Adult and blocked from appearing in non-Adult search.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Just an FYI...there is NO PG rating for land.  It's General, Moderate or Adult.  If you don't want Moderate content, go to a General area.  No explicit Adult,  stay in Moderate or General.  Clubs that are in Moderate areas that have very specific rules on dress shoyld have it prominently displayed at several point upon landing.  Or hand out a notecard.  They can't expect PG when there is no such rating on land.  Nudity IS allowed in Moderate regions.

Moderate Land

Residents in these spaces should therefore expect to see a variety of themes and content. Stores that sell a range of content that includes some "sexy" clothing or objects can generally reside in Moderate rather than Adult regions. Dance clubs that feature "burlesque" acts can also generally reside in Moderate regions as long as they don't promote sexual conduct, for instance through pose balls (whether in "backrooms" or more visible spaces). However if any of these businesses uses adult-oriented search tags, the region may be categorized as Adult and blocked from appearing in non-Adult search.

True! I didn't even remember that because those clubs actually call themselves PG.

I'm jumping to the end here just to add my 2 cents.

Possible reasons people dress "immodestly" ( a subjective word ) in SL.

1. This is not RL. People want to have fun, and looking sexy and a little naughty can be fun. We like to be able to act in SL in ways we would not or could not in RL, so SL is our adult playground where we can dress naughty if we want and nobody is going to give us a hard time about that.

2. Those of us who bought mesh bodies want to show them off. By and large they are beautiful, with lovely and often nicer curves than we have in RL. Since we can look younger, thinner and more beautiful in SL, we like do show off our virtual Barbie dolls.

3. I think it may be harder for creators to make longer skirts look right. They probably have to do more rigging and take into account the way moving legs will stretch out the skirt texture, so they make more short skirts, which are easier to make.

4. Moderate sims used to be called PG, so many of us still think of them in those terms. If you're used the movie rating system in the US, it makes sense. G- rated sims show what you'd expect to see in a G- rated movie. Moderate/ PG- rated sims show what you'd expect to see in a PG- rated move. Adult rated sims show what you might expect to see in an Adults Only (R, NC-17 or X) rated movie.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I'm jumping to the end here just to add my 2 cents.

Possible reasons people dress "immodestly" ( a subjective word ) in SL.

1. This is not RL. People want to have fun, and looking sexy and a little naughty can be fun. We like to be able to act in SL in ways we would not or could not in RL, so SL is our adult playground where we can dress naughty if we want and nobody is going to give us a hard time about that.

2. Those of us who bought mesh bodies want to show them off. By and large they are beautiful, with lovely and often nicer curves than we have in RL. Since we can look younger, thinner and more beautiful in SL, we like do show off our virtual Barbie dolls.

3. I think it may be harder for creators to make longer skirts look right. They probably have to do more rigging and take into account the way moving legs will stretch out the skirt texture, so they make more short skirts, which are easier to make.

4. Moderate sims used to be called PG, so many of us still think of them in those terms. If you're used the movie rating system in the US, it makes sense. G- rated sims show what you'd expect to see in a G- rated movie. Moderate/ PG- rated sims show what you'd expect to see in a PG- rated move. Adult rated sims show what you might expect to see in an Adults Only (R, NC-17 or X) rated movie.

I'd say Moderate is more R rated and General is G and PG.  The entire change had to do with Adult activity that was searchable as such and why Zindra was created.  Adult activity is still allowed in Moderate areas as long as it's "behind closed doors".  The Linden Homes areas are a prime example.  They're moderate but you are perfectly ok having and using your adult furniture there.  

• Like 2

No, I would not dare to throw a chair at you! Not at anyone to be presice. Well, decency. So many residents so many opinions about that subject. We all know that in SL it depends on where you are (Adult or PG) how decent you can be . But what you mean, I personally don't think it's a matter of decency, I think it's a matter of taste. And tastes happen to differ. What you call indecent is a fantastic outfit for someone else. Who is right here? For me it is easy. i just allways wear a suit. And I only wear something indecent when I'm with an indecent resident :-).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

I'm saying if the recipient can't take a compliment then they shouldn't put themselves in a situation to receive them. That's common sense 101 mate. If someone says to a person you look sexy in that out fit then they should just say thank you and keep it moving. Common courtesy and manners. It's certainly not a reason to bite someone's head off.😎

8 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Kid avatars are ADULTS, or at least they should be.  I'll agree with the PG part but to be fair a lot of clubs have turned PG yet are on M-rated land. That's what I think people get irritated with. That fact that it's PG is written on some "rules" wall way off in the corner. If you are on M-rated land and are a PG club at least have a announcement that pops up before you even enter the club. It would solve a lot of issues.

The bolded part is what men think gives them the right to make unwanted sexual advances toward women and is wrong on so many levels.

Kids avatars being played by adults is irreverent to what I said. You don't TP in to say like a school on a rp sim for kid avatars with your bits hanging all out. Except to get banned. That's sort of a no brainer. lol Those are the type of situations I am referring to. Really that applies to any PG sim. Some people just lack that common sense. lol🙄

On the last part I am referring to compliments. Not sexual advances. Say you are at a club and someone says to you that you look really nice in that outfit. It's very sexy. That's a compliment. That's not them trying to get in to your pants. That is them paying you a compliment. There is a big difference.😎

33 minutes ago, Velk Kerang said:

Say you are at a club and someone says to you that you look really nice in that outfit. It's very sexy. That's a compliment. That's not them trying to get in to your pants. That is them paying you a compliment. There is a big difference.😎

If someone IM'd me in a club and said to me you like nice in that outfit and it's very sexy I would find that an unwanted sexual advance. Sorry dude, maybe you don't see it like that but then you think that if a women doesn't want complements they shouldn't put themselves in the position to receive them.  The shorter the skirt the more she is asking for compliments? Are you serious dude? 

Would you stop a woman in a coffee shop and say to her in RL "that's a very nice outfit you have on. It's very sexy" I guarantee that she would think you were making a pass at her and it's creepy.

There just is no reason to IM a person here and say just that.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

If someone IM'd me in a club and said to me you like nice in that outfit and it's very sexy I would find that an unwanted sexual advance. Sorry dude, maybe you don't see it like that but then you think that if a women doesn't want complements they shouldn't put themselves in the position to receive them.  The shorter the skirt the more she is asking for compliments? Are you serious dude? 

Would you stop a woman in a coffee shop and say to her in RL "that's a very nice outfit you have on. It's very sexy" I guarantee that she would think you were making a pass at her and it's creepy.

There just is no reason to IM a person here and say just that.

Well after reading your profile I can see why you'd say that. lol All I can say is wow. lol You need to lighten up. It's not that serious. It's really not. lol The fact you even think that's a sexual advance speaks volumes to me. lol🤦‍♂️

To answer your question. I have actually complimented someone on their outfit before in passing and they smiled and said thank you. Nothing in our conversation screamed drop those panties in the middle of the coffee shop. I mean WTF. lol Is that where your mind seriously goes? lol You literally just described something that happens all the time with people on both sides. Did you seriously just say that to me? lol Creepy is that type of mentality. lol🤦‍♂️

As for reasons. Why does anyone need a reason to show some kindness and civility or even introduce themselves? I mean if you need a reason for an introduction then it's probably because you went to a club in the first place. Ya know a place where a lot of people do go to actually meet. If ya don't want that then again do not go. It's not rocket science. It's really not mate. lol🤦‍♂️

I truly feel for you or anybody wound up that tightly or anyone who ever even attempts to show some genuine interest. If I'd had your attitude then I wouldn't have made some of the awesome friends I made on here. I mean you can do what you want to, but you may miss out on a really great friend biting peoples heads off mate. lol I'd personally find it humorous though only because I imagine your conversations going a lot like this. lol😁😎

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

I'm saying if the recipient can't take a compliment then they shouldn't put themselves in a situation to receive them. That's common sense 101 mate. If someone says to a person you look sexy in that out fit then they should just say thank you and keep it moving. Common courtesy and manners. It's certainly not a reason to bite someone's head off.😎

This isn't really about compliments tho. More about rude comments. 

1 hour ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

This isn't really about compliments tho. More about rude comments. 

Well the statement I made was more about seeing people getting their head bit off for even just as so much as paying a compliment. So the conversations I see are usually in local chat obviously. I mean if it was a rude comment or something then ya by all means chew that behind away. By no means am I saying dress code excuses bad behavior.

And honestly say for example you're in a club and get a rude comment and if you're in a room full of dudes like me then most likely we'll step in anyway and tell whoever to back off the lady ain't trying to hear that noise. At that point it's more of a THEM problem then a YOU problem because I know Momma more then likely raised them right.

I'm thinking more about those chip on the shoulder types that dress to excess and then act like a complete ass in the middle of the club. Makes you wonder why they even bothered to dress up and come out in the first place. lol Oh well. If anything it gives me a good laugh. I mind my own businesses anyway when I go out so not really an issue for me.

The times I've paid out compliments it's been to the entire room as not to leave anyone out. I say things like everyone is looking good tonight and it's great seeing everyone. Stuff like that. That habit comes from dealing with crowds from my boxing days on here when I showed up to parties and special functions because I would address the entire room. Plus I just think of it as good manners.👍😎

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Just an FYI...there is NO PG rating for land.  It's General, Moderate or Adult.  If you don't want Moderate content, go to a General area.  No explicit Adult,  stay in Moderate or General.  Clubs that are in Moderate areas that have very specific rules on dress should have it prominently displayed at several point upon landing.  Or hand out a notecard.  They can't expect PG when there is no such rating on land.  Nudity IS allowed in Moderate regions.

Moderate Land

I actually want to correct something on this so new people aren't confused. While technically correct in terms of game ratings it is also incorrect as PG is more often then not the term used to describe General regions on SL, but more to the point PG sims are clearly labeled as such in either the title and/or description. It is done this way so there is no room for misinterpretation. Just because there is not a little setting with the name on it doesn't mean they don't exist. So yes they very well can expect the rules of their sim to be respected and yes they can very well expect it to remain PG. Anyone who thinks otherwise finds themselves on the ban list. It's common sense 101 really. Dress appropriately for the sims your going to.👍😎

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.