Decency ? Modesty ?

53 minutes ago, Akasha Sternberg said:

neither it was for me...

I had to think of this thread last night though....there were a lot of new group gifts announced in all those SL Frees & Offers, Fabulously Free, you know... the shopping groups for poor Kashas....

now these gifts included a lot of dresses and lingerie... and most of them kinda covered the butt - if at all, underboob shirts, cutouts everywhere and even more... now those things can be mixed into cool looks or can be nice once in a while, but seriously we´re being swamped with those

That's because it sells, lol.

It's no different in rl, though, for women's and girl's clothes. Have you tried purchasing clothes for a teenage girl in rl lately, lol? While yes there are some clothes that aren't tight, form fitting, too short..MOST things actually are. Shorts are probably the worst for one of my girls. They tend to fall into two categories, too long, or too short, with little wiggle room. 

1 minute ago, Tari Landar said:

That's because it sells, lol.

It's no different in rl, though, for women's and girl's clothes. Have you tried purchasing clothes for a teenage girl in rl lately, lol? While yes there are some clothes that aren't tight, form fitting, too short..MOST things actually are. Shorts are probably the worst for one of my girls. They tend to fall into two categories, too long, or too short, with little wiggle room. 

well eff me... really? No I haven´t and tbh I tend to buy t-shirts and longsleeves in the mens dept cos they´re cheaper and clearer in style... no bs, no fancy patterns and collars that show your friggin navel... just nice, simple stuff

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

It's 2021, my reply is late  I'm not religious however I choose/try in RL to dress modesty (sometimes I veil) & I try to keep some sort of modesty within SL. I mean I'm still new at SL however there are many places of worship on SL (if you haven't already/had no luck so fair finding people who remain modest in SL) try going there. I'm sure SL has changed from 2017 to 2021. 

Edited by LuaLight9
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, LuaLight9 said:

It's 2020, my reply is late  I'm not religious however I choose/try in RL to dress modesty (sometimes I veil) & I try to keep some sort of modesty within SL. I mean I'm still new at SL however there are many places of worship on SL (if you haven't already/had no luck so fair finding people who remain modest in SL) try going there. I'm sure SL has changed from 2017 to 2020.

Pssst... It's 2021.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I think a lot of the reason SL clothes are skimpy is more to do with practicality and the limitations of animations than with what people would choose for themselves in RL. As a person who dresses modestly for an RP, AOs and other animations just wreak havoc on my skirts, and I'm usually alpha'd to the gills. LOL

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BookishMelinoe said:

AOs and other animations just wreak havoc on my skirts

System skirts don't look the best nowadays, but they animate fairly well, or at least close to as well as is possible.

Does "dressing modestly" mean no pants?

1 minute ago, Quistess Alpha said:

System skirts don't look the best nowadays, but they animate fairly well, or at least close to as well as is possible.

Does "dressing modestly" mean no pants?

In my particular case yes--it's a rule for the type of character I RP. Outside of there I do wear regular jeans.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2017 at 2:44 AM, SpinAcces said:

i'm a man. and Yes of course, that's not my point, like i CLEARLY said, i totally respect others choices of clothing. i just have a liking for decency is all. so i'm trying for hints to where i could find people that like it too.

I think you mean to say you have a liking for modesty in clothing. So do I, and I dress accordingly in SL, it's just my way. Others have their ways, and mind you, it's quite easy to dress modestly and be very indecent.

• Like 1

Most of the "rules" around modesty and decency, and associated behaviours (especially as it applies to women and children) were written in the past few thousand years by men in an attempt to control women, their bodies, and their sexuality. Patriarchal, frightened, controlling misogynists trying to maintain a power structure they are on the top of. 

Simple as that. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

I'd always tag SL as a digital lay ground, and to be honest I'm the one who enjoys to show skin and curves in world, however I keep shameful actions behind close doors, and usually tend to be polite if situation gives, despite revealing outfits and all

Many don't seem to know when to differentiate between polite and downright revealing tastefully, as it tend to be taken on extremes

Say I bumped onto a Fervent religious resident (Won't disclose details due controversy) but basically got demonized by wearing tube top with a jacket on top, for that I was named sinner many times tho. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AnnHerrick said:

Okay, well I'm bored and didn't notice. Is there a rule about that?

There is a big blue warning that pops up when you open an old thread, so I am not sure how you could "not notice".

21 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Sometimes they're not too bad, they even work on a BOM mesh body though its unlikely that they will fit around the waist. On Maitreya there's quite a big gap. But if you have a long, loose mesh top, that will cover it. That plus a flexi layer over the top does animate better than most long mesh skirts.

1 hour ago, Ayeleeon said:

There is a big blue warning that pops up when you open an old thread, so I am not sure how you could "not notice".

It doesn't pop up if the thread was already 'opened' by someone else.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Most of the "rules" around modesty and decency, and associated behaviours (especially as it applies to women and children) were written in the past few thousand years by men in an attempt to control women, their bodies, and their sexuality. Patriarchal, frightened, controlling misogynists trying to maintain a power structure they are on the top of. 

Simple as that. 

Thats probably the most cringiest thing I've read on here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Simple as that. 

5gm334.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

People dress how they wanna dress in SL its one of the fun things about it. You can do anything without real world consequences.

Give people a world where they can do anything and the Id will run wild.

This is SL Dress Like a 15th century Queen of Spain one hour than a few hours later dress like the queen of the saloon and go work in an Old west brothel you can do anything here live it up!

And the question about pants and dressing moistly made me think of this

Edited by Atosuria Daviau
  • Like 1