Deploy Plans for the week of 2017-08-21

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/17#17.08.11.328159

Scheduled Tuesday 2017-08-22 03:00-09:00 PDT

Second Life RC BlueSteel:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/17#17.08.11.328152

Scheduled Wednesday 2017-08-23 07:00-10:30 PDT

Second Life RC LeTigre:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/17#17.08.11.328152

Second Life RC Magnum:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/17#17.08.11.328152

Note: Build number is lower because previous week's 17.08.11.328159 version separated the MIME Type changes

Edited by Caleb Linden

"Shrek Ears of Shame" time again it seems... Reports coming in...

People unable to detach attachments

People unable to attach attachments (attampt to rez object failed)

People unable to TP using LM's (but they can use an lm to show the location on the map and tp via map)

In-World profiles completely missing

Seems to have started about 5:20 am PDT...

20 minutes ago, Kara9999 said:

The grid is down.

I always check here for details

1. Grid status was updated about 20-30 mins after they broke SL.

2. There are never any details, just "We Broke stuff, currently scheduling unscheduled scheduled maintenance, residents outside California may find thei are regarded as not existing during this work, as we always arrange for this stuff to happen while California os offline, and it's mainly those pesky Europeans and Limeys online"

3. The details, if they ever come out, will be subtly whispered at some beta grid users group weekly meeting with an unnamed Linden leaking the tale of woe off the record, at 3pm SLT on a Thursday, to as many as oh 15-20 people out of the tens of thousands who were affected and might want to know what the hell happened.

12 hours ago, Klytyna said:

1. Grid status was updated about 20-30 mins after they broke SL.

2. There are never any details, just "We Broke stuff, currently scheduling unscheduled scheduled maintenance, residents outside California may find thei are regarded as not existing during this work, as we always arrange for this stuff to happen while California os offline, and it's mainly those pesky Europeans and Limeys online"

3. The details, if they ever come out, will be subtly whispered at some beta grid users group weekly meeting with an unnamed Linden leaking the tale of woe off the record, at 3pm SLT on a Thursday, to as many as oh 15-20 people out of the tens of thousands who were affected and might want to know what the hell happened.

You mean they don't provide explanations like this one:

April has, whenever she's been able to, provided information on major outages like this, and through the public channel of the official blogs.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Inara Pey said:

April has, whenever she's been able to, provided information on major outages like this, and through the public channel of the official blogs.

That would impress me more if the number of 'explanation posts' was anywhere close to the number of events that need explaining, remember a couple of weeks back, the RC channel re-re-rerolls, and the explanation offered was...

"theres a secret meeting on thursday, come to that if you can and you may be told"

;) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Inara Pey said:

You mean they don't provide explanations like this one:

Some people are wrong in their heads. For them, it's all about me me me. E.g:-

• LL broke something and it affects ME so I'm gonna criticise like mad because it's your fault.
  • A machine went down and it affects ME so I'm gonna find fault with you because you broke it.
  • I can't have what I want so I'm gonna criticise like mad because it's obvious that you broke something.

I'd just ignore them if I were you. They aren't worth your time and effort.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Some people are wrong in their heads. For them, it's all about me me me. E.g:-

• LL broke something and it affects ME so I'm gonna criticise like mad because it's your fault.
  • A machine went down and it affects ME so I'm gonna find fault with you because you broke it.
  • I can't have what I want so I'm gonna criticise like mad because it's obvious that you broke something.

I'd just ignore them if I were you. They aren't worth your time and effort.

Gosh, Phil! "Me, me, me." "I this, I that." LOL

On 23/08/2017 at 11:31 AM, Klytyna said:

"theres a secret meeting on thursday, come to that if you can and you may be told"

;) 

By "secret", I assume you mean the ones openly advertised in the wiki, and available to anyone to attend, and at which a whole range of topics are discussed, notably those raised by residents attending them. Including questions concerning outages, issues and other events. As the say goes, "seek and ye shall find". Or don't. The choice is yours.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Inara Pey said:

By "secret", I assume you mean the ones openly advertised in the wiki, and available to anyone to attend,

Well OBVIOUSLY..

Only a complete idiot would expect the official announcement of what went wrong to be somewhere official like the Tech Blog, or maybe the relevant sub section of the Forum.

SMART people would know you have to open the wiki page and search for ...

"Time & Location of Secret Meetings of small arrogant out of touch cliques of people who are on a first name bases with a Linden Clan Member"

Right?

Oh WAIT...

Most of the people who were affected by the event in question, and who might have appreciated some sort of explanation, a) don't know there is a beta grid users group, as they don't and often as not these days, can't use the beta grid, and b) don't KNOW that there IS a Secondlife Wiki, or a SecondLife Forum for that matter.

• Like 2

Yeah, there really should be a section for patch notes, outages, news, etc.

What we have now is third party websites, user submitted wikis, and meetings that only a tiny fraction of residents can actually attend, thanks to things like time zones and jobs.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:18 PM, Inara Pey said:

By "secret", I assume you mean the ones openly advertised in the wiki, and available to anyone to attend, and at which a whole range of topics are discussed, notably those raised by residents attending them. Including questions concerning outages, issues and other events. As the say goes, "seek and ye shall find". Or don't. The choice is yours.

Let's be honest. Saying "anyone can attend" a meeting that happens in the middle of a weekday while they're at work is silly. Not everyone in SL is a retired old lady, after all.

3 hours ago, Gadget Portal said:

and meetings that only a tiny fraction of residents can actually attend, thanks to things like time zones and jobs

The Beta Grid Cliques meetings are particularly awkward because...

According to the "Secret Cabals of SL" wiki page, they take place on the Beta Grid, a place many simply cannot log into at all.

How do you attend a "not a Secret Meeting" that takes place in a location you are not allowed to visit?

4 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

According to the "Secret Cabals of SL" wiki page, they take place on the Beta Grid, a place many simply cannot log into at all.

How do you attend a "not a Secret Meeting" that takes place in a location you are not allowed to visit?

To be fair, I thought the beta grid was open to anyone with an active account? Although sometimes you gotta reset your password...

5 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

To be fair, I thought the beta grid was open to anyone with an active account? Although sometimes you gotta reset your password...

Is that the "secret gang handshake" trick then?

I have an account that CAN access the beta grid, because I logged it into the Beta Grid ONCE, 5 1/2 years ago. THIS account gets told "invalid userid/password". Theres a trick apparently, but... How many people would actually know what the trick is, out of all those who might want to hear the secret announcement and are 'old ladies' available in the daytime?

14 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Is that the "secret gang handshake" trick then?

I have an account that CAN access the beta grid, because I logged it into the Beta Grid ONCE, 5 1/2 years ago. THIS account gets told "invalid userid/password". Theres a trick apparently, but... How many people would actually know what the trick is, out of all those who might want to hear the secret announcement and are 'old ladies' available in the daytime?

I have it on good authority from someone who is a part of that particular Secret Cabal that it's still being investigated and to quote a firstname Linden from the most recent meeting "...I should probably go try and reproduce that issue so we can make sure it never ever ever ever happens again."  I don't feel comfortable sharing the secret gang handshake though, as I've just gotten up from my nap, waiting on tea, and frankly, you don't come across as all that much fun. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Klytyna said:

xD

Well yes, there is an issue for quite some time with beta grid logins. If you can remember a previous password of yours, you can try to login with that. The thing is, passwords aren't carried over to the Aditi account. So once you changed the password of your SL account, this new password will not work on the beta grid. You can still login with the old password though. And once you have that accomplished, your new password will work the next time you log in on the beta grid as well.

If that doesn't work, the recommended action is to contact support, and they will fix it for you.

The reason this particular meeting is on the beta grid is, well, it's the "Server Beta User Group" meeting. To test new server versions before they appear on the main grid. So it has to happen on the beta grid, or it won't make any sense at all.

The Lindens hosting this meeting would be happy if more people would attend this meeting actually. It's a rather small group currently, because it's mostly internal fixes which are added to the server code. Basically what you call cliques is roughly a dozen of regular residents like you and me, who still went there to keep the meeting alive. And I appreciate that the Lindens hosting the meeting keep it going as well. Sometimes there are maybe only 5 of us attending it, and it would be understandable if the Lindens would just shut it down for good, because of the small number of attendees.

:SwingingFriends:

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.