Eclipse 2017

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 hours ago, Darrius Gothly said:

My daughter shared this with me. It's an animated GIF of the sun's shadow crossing the US as seen from space:

http://imgur.com/gallery/qBFa1Xi

I like to watch that same effect live, as Jupiter's moons cast shadows on its cloud tops. Space is the only place from which to view those shadows, there's no place to stand on a gas planet.

Way back when I was dating my ex-hubby, I choreographed the setting of my broken pocket watch (you can set the hands, but you can't wind it) to a Jovian moon transit. It was known to happen at 11:57PM. I had him carefully watch for the moon's disk to contact Jupiter's, and to tell me the moment it happened. I'd set the watch to 11:57 earlier in the day, and he didn't know it was broken. He chimed up, I said "Okay, I'm set for 11:57. How's your watch?" He was off by a couple minutes, so set his. Hours later he looked at mine again, still at 11:57. Just another subtle sign he ignored on his way to marrying me.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Cuz pocke*****ch isn't a word, but it's a naughty word.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The shot on the left shows more corona than I saw, and the interior is clearly blown out. 

Nice write-up, I'm glad you had a good time!

What I saw was something very tall and very stringy. It was almost as if the corona was waving at me, long almost tendrils flying off of the sun a very far distance. It can't be captured on film, I guess. I haven't seen one photo yet that approximates the detail and beauty that was seen. Your pic on the left though is close, though!

2 minutes ago, Devoran Comet said:

Nice write-up, I'm glad you had a good time!

What I saw was something very tall and very stringy. It was almost as if the corona was waving at me, long almost tendrils flying off of the sun a very far distance. It can't be captured on film, I guess. I haven't seen one photo yet that approximates the detail and beauty that was seen. Your pic on the left though is close, though!

I'm glad too!

We had fairly hazy skies. Though we did see a hint of tendrils, the camera did a better job of catching them than my eyes.

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

We are allowed non-SL discussions in the General Discussion forum

well then...

I live in north carolina probably three hours from the centerline but i decided years ago i wasn't going to chance carolina weather so i flew out west to view it in nebraska. however the weather didnt cooperate so we decided at the last minute to drive into wyoming. the skys were perfectly clear and we were treated to an amazing experience. unfortunately the drive down to colorado springs afterwards wasnt quite as amazing the i-25 was gridlocked and it took us 14 hours to make a four hour drive.

I dont mind though, the memory of the eclipse, which i shared with my daughters will last forever

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

i think you were the only person in colorado that didnt go :)

Judging by the traffic that the news was showing Monday afternoon and evening, you are likely correct.  One guy on the radio said it took 3 hrs to go 30 miles at one point up in WY.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

52 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

so i flew out west to view it in nebraska. however the weather didnt cooperate so we decided at the last minute to drive into wyoming.

My kids' dad lives in Scottsbluff, so they converged on his place for the event.  The weather apparently cleared enough for them to experience it.

25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Judging by the traffic that the news was showing Monday afternoon and evening, you are likely correct.  One guy on the radio said it took 3 hrs to go 30 miles at one point up in WY.

It took us three hours to get through a 4.5 mile section of Illinois 57 that's under construction. We entered that section ten hours after the eclipse, at midnight. The people in charge of road work there should be buried under the asphalt they're laying. Given the corruption of Illinois politics, some probably are.

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I like to watch that same effect live, as Jupiter's moons cast shadows on its cloud tops. Space is the only place from which to view those shadows, there's no place to stand on a gas planet.

Way back when I was dating my ex-hubby, I choreographed the setting of my broken pocke*****ch (you can set the hands, but you can't wind it) to a Jovian moon transit. It was known to happen at 11:57PM. I had him carefully watch for the moon's disk to contact Jupiter's, and to tell me the moment it happened. I'd set the watch to 11:57 earlier in the day, and he didn't know it was broken. He chimed up, I said "Okay, I'm set for 11:57. How's your watch?" He was off by a couple minutes, so set his. Hours later he looked at mine again, still at 11:57. Just another subtle sign he ignored on his way to marrying me.

/me presses the small imaginary forum button that signifies putting my hand softy on your arm and simply standing with you.

Edited by Ivanova Shostakovich
Because my fingers are getting used to a real keyboard again.
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.