You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Model's Workshop is looking for a Marketing Manager and two Staff Photographers.  Requirements and duties for both positions are as follows below.  Please contact Rhiannon Colclough in-world to apply.

Marketing Manager:

We are looking for someone who has the following skills:
*Excellent communication skills
*Ability to think creatively and motivate people
*Networking skills
*Able to perform under pressure and work to deadlines
*Understanding of marketing channels
*Familiarity with technology and tools to accomplish tasks
*Professional judgment & discretion

Duties include:
*Maintaining all marketing tools, including websites, other media
*Coordinating marketing strategies across multiple channels
*Writing ads, press releases to send out on marketing channels
*Working with others on the MW team
*Analyzing what does and does not work and change approach accordingly
*Blogging events, shows, workshops, etc.
*Planning and execution of marketing strategies
*Showing attention to detail

Model's Workshop Virtual Group is seeking a skilled photographer to cover MWVG events and special assignments when our main photographer is unable to work. You must be able to work under pressure if needed and have good time management skills. You must be skilled at handling a calendar and booking appointments as required.

Your skill set should include: 

*Good technical knowledge of all SL camera settings, windlights, filters, etc.
*Good sense of visual composition and perspective
*Competence in photographic manipulation software such as Photoshop or similar
*Be adept with image-management software including online storage of photos such as drop boxes, Flickr, etc. 
*Be organized, practical and versatile, able to adapt to a wide variety of assignments
*Be able to deal with the unexpected in a calm and professional manner
*Must have strong work ethic and the ability to convey the MWVG  corporate image and values 
*Excellent communication skills
*Sound business management skills
*Ability to meet scheduling deadlines and performance targets

Must have a portfolio of work to show skills (Flickr account is acceptable)
Prefer to have past testimonials from prior jobs

THIS IS NOT A PAID POSITION!  We expect that the exposure in print, media, etc., plus access to models who will need pictures taken, will more than compensate.

That's a hell of a lot of work and rl hours for no pay. 

You make money off people working for you, why would you not pay them? 

That's pretty damn rude, def. not ethical. 

No wonder ppl keep saying all the jobs they find are *****ty when I point them here.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

First of all, are you aware who we are?  Knee-jerk reactions to a post are not helpful.  We are a non-profit organization to help models gain experience and exposure, and as part of that, we give our photographers the same opportunity.  We have a show to be photographed once a month, the photographer is only required to work those hours and is not held to a rigid schedule of hours, and those photos are only used for publicity for the model as part of a prize.  Since the other prizes the models are offered are also donations, it would seem hypocritical to pay the photographer.  Not only that, but the photographer gets publicity as well.  We make NO money off this - our people earn money from other ventures outside of the Model's Workshop Virtual Group, as MWVG is a labor of love and a way for us, all of us either former or current models, to give back to other models.

I realize this is tl;dr for most people, but this is also the truth.  Sadly, the truth does not lend itself to cute little sound bites or witty bon mots. I guess we could be less than honest and continue to not include that information in our ad, but to me, that is the less ethical choice.  I see no reason why telling the truth is rudeness.

I sincerely hope you did do your research, but from what you have said, I am deducing you have not.  I would advise people to do research before responding to something on the net. 

Yet you require 50L from each model to join your group an participate on this. That's a nice non-profitable way you have to help models gain experience. And with all the above skillset that you asking for from the applicants you searching for fools.

• Like 3

1. "Marketing Manager & Photographer" Those two careers combined earn a lot more than what you're offering inworld and it's a lot more valuable than "nothing". You say it's for models to get exposure, but what do they get at the end of the day? Absolutely nothing but more unpaid publicity and opportunities. Their time is invaluable to you. So they'll look somewhere else.

2. Upon your profile Ms Colclough. 50L$ to join a group is one of your "Model's Workshop" groups. So @chrzang was right on the group fee.
secondlife:///app/group/0b48687e-b400-6d60-5547-48b114c49c8c/about
I took a screenshot, just incase you change it.

3. Based upon all these assumptions, you want more people but your boss doesn't want to spend anything (low budget probably - you stated you're a personal assistant, so I can't blame you if you got paid to type all of that for nothing).

4. @ImaTest Should have had the so-called "knee-jerk reaction" because, you are making money off your staff, 50L for group fee & not having to pay the staff. People should know about the details of the career and the reviews before signing up to something like this.

5. But after all, it is up to you what you do with your staff and how you reward and value them. But I would like to suggest that you give your staff a perk, otherwise the business is useless. I seen another ad around here that gives perks and pays for models (free photos & 50L-100L per photoshoot - publicity for both model and photographer). I'm pretty sure they'll go there rather than here. You need to make yours unique in order to be getting quality staff rather than free-timers. But I'm not hating as long as it isn't hurting anyone.

2017-08-25.png

Edited by JamesMayTG
  • Like 2

OK, I am a big enough person to apologize when I am wrong.  Although $50L is not much money at all, it does mean we are not non-profit.  Barely profit, yes, but not non-profit.  So I do apologize to ImaTest and chrzang.

The Marketing Manager is a paid position, however.  And perhaps it would help to compare the photographer to a blogger - a blogger gets "paid" in free product.  The photographer is getting "paid" in publicity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 25/8/2017 at 8:54 PM, Rhiannon Colclough said:

OK, I am a big enough person to apologize when I am wrong.  Although $50L is not much money at all, it does mean we are not non-profit.  Barely profit, yes, but not non-profit.  So I do apologize to ImaTest and chrzang.

You were not wrong Rhiannon. you were lying/hiding the truth. Good luck

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.