How can I change my avatar

Kristof Maven

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

24 minutes ago, Kristof Maven said:

Now I need more precise things. Where to go ? Do you have group special for old noob like me. ?  I think My avatar is completly ill and I ask where is the hospital and people say you are sick go to the hospital (shop) !! I don't konw where is the hospital. You have to pay the hospital and I have no money.

People have given information about places you can find some items for free (Free Dove for some clothes, and the very clear instructions Skell gave in an earlier post for free hair and free shoes).  Skell also pointed out the words/symbols you should look for when buying clothes or skin, to ensure they will work with a classic avatar.  I don't know that you can expect anything more precise than the things that we've suggested (which also included links to blogs, to help narrow your searching in the marketplace).  I think we've put you in the hospital waiting room - the getting healed part will take a little bit of time and effort by your own self.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kristof Maven said:

Now I need more precise things. Where to go ?

how more precise you want to have?...

All the blogs i gave have slurls in their postings. They deliver you to the exact place to be, you only have to click it.

We can;t take you by the hand and lead to stores more close than that.

Your problem isn't your avatar i'm affraid, and thats something only you can solve.

If we lead you to the water, but you refuse to drink, you'll stay thirsty.

once more: ( and there re hundreds of these)

https://justmens.wordpress.com/

http://malefashionfeed.info/

http://www.theslregistry.com/

http://ffform.blogspot.nl/

http://www.mrslfeed.com/

https://parkerslaundrybasket.wordpress.com/

http://h-u-m-a-n.weebly.com/

https://billybeaverhausen.com/

http://emporiolook.blogspot.nl/2017/05/till-lights-go-out.html

https://lambertofficial.wordpress.com/page/2/

https://justjestyr.wordpress.com/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kristof Maven said:

He he Do someone have humour !!!

I'm English. I'm fluent in irony, sarcasm, and many forms of humour from subtle through to slapstick. Trust me when I say that I noted nothing humorous about the following -

On 19/08/2017 at 9:05 PM, Kristof Maven said:

I changed my bio maybe that will help my avatar to be improved.

- when you actually had changed your bio.

If I change my profile of course that will not change my avatar.

Yes it will. (If you can use bold to make a point, so can I, pal.)

Your avatar is the physical representation of you in Second Life. Your profile gives people a first impression of you from anywhere within Second Life, before they have actually met you and had a chance to experience your actual, behind-the-keyboard personality. You have already been told twice in this thread that SL is a very visual medium. (More bold coming up...)  Together, the look of your avatar and what your profile says will both form the impression that people have of you before they actually meet you. They both affect how people perceive you. Ergo: improving your profile is one and the same as improving your visual looks.

Shall we sum up how this thread has gone so far?

On page one

• LittleMe Jewell told you to visit The Free Dove inworld (findable via inworld search) and to check out the FabFree blog (which gives exact locations for every item they feature).
  • Alwin Alcott then gave you a link to the Fashion and Freebies for Men blog, which does exactly the same thing as FabFree, but is exclusively for male avatars.
  • LittleMe Jewell then gave you a link to the Teleport Hub website, which links directly to all kinds of great fashion content in Second Life.
  • Zenessa and AnnistynSL both then gave you the link to the Second Life Marketplace, where you can search for anything that you need, from skins to shapes, from hair to clothing.
  • Alwin Alcott then gave you links to ELEVEN male fashion blogs, all of whom list exactly what they are wearing in each of their posts, so you can find a look (or part of a look) that you like, see who it's made by, and go to that store and purchase it.
  • Lillith Hapmouche suggested avoiding places like Freebie Warehouse, and instead investing L$100 to join a specific skin group inworld (again, you could have used search to find this group) and receive high-quality skins to wear.
  • angeoco gave you some advice to change your profile and remove the bits about being lonely, terrible, and sad, all of which give people a first impression of your personality. (Incidentally, things like this in a profile can draw to you the very people who hurt you in the first place. They like to prey on the weak.)

On page two

• You concluded (apparently from all of the above) that:
  1. You have to go to the Marketplace to find things, since you get discouraged in inworld shops. (Yes! Good conclusion! Now... did you actually do that?)
  2. You should be all-mesh or have at least one mesh body part. (Not true, and several people had already told you that.)
  • I then told you that you do not need a mesh body and head in order to have a great-looking male avatar in Second Life. I then logged my avatar inworld specifically to go to two stores and take screenshots, then edited them to add arrows, showing you exactly where to go to get free hair and free shoes. All you had to do was look up the designers (whose names I gave you) in search, to find their store locations. (I did that deliberately, to start you on the road of helping yourself to look good, rather than expecting others to hold your hand all the way.) I also advised you (again, with images) what to look for on Marketplace when you're searching for anything, to avoid accidentally buying something that you (as someone who doesn't wear a mesh body and head) simply can't wear.
  • I then gave four visual examples of the fact that you don't need to have a mesh head and/or mesh body to have a well put together male avatar in Second Life.
  • You then stated that you have changed your bio.

And now we're here, with you laughing at me because I apparently didn't get your attempt at humour, and telling everyone else that you "need more precise things".

How much more precise do you want, over and above what you were given on page one of this thread? Which, I remind you, includes annotated screenshots to exactly where to find specific things in specific stores, and links to twelve male fashion blogs where you can find inspiration for your own style.

I'll tell you what you want: you want someone to hold your hand, teleport you directly to each store, walk up to a specific vendor, and say "Buy that". Then take you to the next store, etc. You're missing the point of what people have been telling you, so I've noted in red the one single thing that you need to do in order to "find the hospital", as per the quote below:

I think My avatar is completly ill and I ask where is the hospital and people say you are sick go to the hospital (shop) !! I don't konw where is the hospital. You have to pay the hospital and I have no money. And Finaly I am dead.

No wonder you're dead. Seven doctors turned up to help you. They gave you advice, put a prescription in your hand, and told you that you also had to put in a little effort in order to heal yourself.

And you turned them all away.

As for me, I'm done with this thread. I have a lot of patience when it comes to helping guys put together a decent avatar in SL. It's one of my passions here, which is why I've been doing it since 2009 and blogging about it since 2013. But I lose patience quickly when I come up against someone who is lazy, wants me to do all of the work, and isn't willing to put in even the tiniest amount of effort himself. And if he then laughs at me? I'm done. So damn done.

Hopefully there is someone else out there who is willing to put in the time and effort to help you out, but I'm not that person. Patient, heal thyself.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

At the beginning, I had no intention to share my opinion in this topic, because I don’t consider myself experienced enough to give advice. However, at this point, after reading what @Skell Dagger wrote, I just couldn’t agree more with the fact that you want us here to do the job for you by holding your hand and telling you what to do. And unfortunately the world (even second) doesn't always work like that. 

You have been asking questions, you have been given A LOT of good answers. Not everyone is so lucky, and believe me, there are many people who have recently been back to SL after a long break and thrown into this new bento mesh world with no clue what it is all about, including myself. I understand it is not easy, but I think your problem is somewhere else. It is not all about the look and your lack of ability of creating a good avatar. It is all about you being unhappy with the response you received from people in world and you just gave up. Maybe this is a point to consider if this is all worth it, if you really want to be in SL or if it makes you too unhappy. If you are going to stay, please appreciate these nice people who tried to help you here, say thank you, start working on your avatar, stop making it acceptable for others but do it for yourself, and after that come back with some results. And if not, well, it is not mandatory to have real life AND second life.

I am sorry if it sounds rude, I have no intention to be rude. However it is sad to see how you are wasting the time and patience of every person who has given you any advice.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

As for me, I'm done with this thread. I have a lot of patience when it comes to helping guys put together a decent avatar in SL. It's one of my passions here, which is why I've been doing it since 2009 and blogging about it since 2013. But I lose patience quickly when I come up against someone who is lazy, wants me to do all of the work, and isn't willing to put in even the tiniest amount of effort himself. And if he then laughs at me? I'm done. So damn done.

^^^ THIS ^^^

There is nothing so hard a slap as going out of your way to assemble tons of helpful info, guidance, recommendations and suggestions .. only to have the recipient disagree or dismiss all of it. And THEN WANT MORE! Yup .. totally agreed Skell. And good on you for being so restrained in your "resignation" from the OP's Free Advice Council.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Darrius Gothly said:

^^^ THIS ^^^

There is nothing so hard a slap as going out of your way to assemble tons of helpful info, guidance, recommendations and suggestions .. only to have the recipient disagree or dismiss all of it. And THEN WANT MORE! Yup .. totally agreed Skell. And good on you for being so restrained in your "resignation" from the OP's Free Advice Council.

@Kristof Maven  I have to agree with this ^^^.  Throughout this thread you have had help and advice and Skell went above and beyond in order to help you (and many others in future now if they read his advice on this thread) 

People who respond like you after asking for AND GETTING extensive help will likely put off others helping people in the future. 

Wouldn't it be nice if you had taken the advice given, changed your avatar and come back here to post a picture of your updated avatar and say Thank you!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kristof Maven said:

He he Do someone have humour !!! xD If I change my profile of course that will not change my avatar. I reply to the person who give me that advice. An apply it to prove it that this advice is useless for avatar. Yes maybe for genaral it is better to have a good description. BTW I am not good ad writing a good bio at all but that is an other story and out of topic.

I think I know what I will do. I wrill create a new avi if I want to continue 'playing'. That play is not fun anymore. Many post tell me that a bad avatar is not good. OK That will help me to know. Otherwise I would not write such question here. I received many advice to keep normal body and mesh thinks. OK it is a good general things.

Now I need more precise things. Where to go ? Do you have group special for old noob like me. ?  I think My avatar is completly ill and I ask where is the hospital and people say you are sick go to the hospital (shop) !! I don't konw where is the hospital. You have to pay the hospital and I have no money. And Finaly I am dead. Hooo my english this morning is not good. After you have misunderstanding.

Ill be straigh here, the problem is not your avatar but your attitude. You act like we all owe you something. Can't help change those who don't even want to change. I wish i had such a great help when i started to play sl. But i had to dig up all the information myself, take time to go through every possible blog.I really used to love FabfFee back then. If someone has determination he will find a way! So appreciate the help you get.

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

As for me, I'm done with this thread. I have a lot of patience when it comes to helping guys put together a decent avatar in SL. It's one of my passions here, which is why I've been doing it since 2009 and blogging about it since 2013. But I lose patience quickly when I come up against someone who is lazy, wants me to do all of the work, and isn't willing to put in even the tiniest amount of effort himself.

You have the patience of a Saint - far more than I would have on my absolute best days.

• Like 6

J'ai comme l'impression que je viens de me faire engueuler. J'ai du faire quelque chose de pas bien du tout. Pas grâve c'est la vie. Je relirais tranquilement aprés. Peut être normal j'ai rien compris. Je ne suis d'ailleur pas sûr de m'être fait comprendre. J'ai quand même l'impression que tout le monde est contre moi à me taper dessus. Mais je comprends mal l'anglais donc j'ai peut être pas raison.

J'ai comme l'impression que je viens de me faire engueuler. J'ai du faire quelque chose de pas bien du tout. Pas grâve c'est la vie. Je relirais tranquilement aprés. Peut être normal j'ai rien compris. Je ne suis d'ailleur pas sûr de m'être fait comprendre. J'ai quand même l'impression que tout le monde est contre moi à me taper dessus. Mais je comprends mal l'anglais donc j'ai peut être pas raison.

Le problème est qu'il semble que vous ne voulez pas vraiment vous aider. Nous vous donnons des idées et des suggestions, mais vous continuez de vous mettre en panne et de dire que vous ne pouvez pas le faire. Vous devez prendre des mesures - faites les choses que les gens ont suggérées dans ce fil. Prenez chaque article et mettez-le dans un traducteur - au cas où vous éprouverez un malentendu avec l'anglais.  Faites particulièrement attention à ce que Skell et Alwin ont dit.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

14 hours ago, Kristof Maven said:

J'ai quand même l'impression que tout le monde est contre moi à me taper dessus.

thought we only gave links and tips .. but if that's taken as being against you, and you wave all what is told away,  i'm affraid there's not a lot that we can do. Is that against you?

NO, but it is against your attitude.

I'm not even sure now if i have to be mad, sad or just i don't know... we're on page 3 ... "tout le monde est contre moi "

I want to thank you all people who partiticpated at this thread. I already did some steps forward even though that I must admit that I didn't read all the long loooooooong posts  but I should. I am very good at procrastinate. ^_^ Reading english demand me huge effort and time. But I will do. If I read one post per day and try to contextualise it. I am sure I will get many good things.

Sorry for my way of communication. Maybe you don't follow (understand) me or I don't follow you. I didn't want to offence anybody. I understand that this forum is only one world the web forum and secondlife is an other way. So it can help me untill a certain point and there is separation between the 2 worlds. Link in this forum is only http or https and links on sl is landmark and does not work here (at least for me)

2 sl  people help me in sl in sending things and landmarks and giving advice. and I would like to give thanks to them.

And people who are against my attitude. ... It doesn't matter And that will help to go forward either.  I am learning with my errors.

I have 3 pages to read now.... How many days for that ?o.O

Maybe if you had used this feature in the first place https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/119-international-forum/

or at any point in the first page of your postings pointed out you were having to translate then by page 3 you wouldn't have

all the long loooooooong posts 

Those long posts were from people trying to give you as much help as they could.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.