Custom Tattoos are very blurry...

AnnabelleDovelight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, all!

Thank you for viewing my post and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place. Looking around I was not sure so I placed it here. :(

I am making some custom tattoos for a friend, easy stuff. The only issue I am having is that the things are blurry as all get out. Been reading around and I did them on 1024x1024 in photoshop and uploaded as .pngs. I've attached photos of them, they are NOT done... but it would be a big help if I could get rid of that crazy blurry-ness. I am very new to creating so I am very sorry if this is an obvious thing. :( If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them! 

I've already tried;

Doing them on a larger project (1024X1024)

Putting them on multiple layers

Rebaking the avatar

unchecking "use HTTP textures" 

Clearing Cache

-Anna.

drow_back.JPG

drow_arm.JPG

one of the things i have found with tattoos is that they come out much clearer if you do them in .tga format, using an alpha layer and a black background.  If you have photoshop, creating .tga with no blurry edges really helps with things like tattoos.  If you are not sure how to create .tga using alpha layer and black background IM me inworld I would be happy to walk you through it.

• Like 2

On 17 August 2017 at 0:02 AM, AnnabelleDovelight said:

I am making some custom tattoos for a friend, easy stuff. The only issue I am having is that the things are blurry as all get out. Been reading around and I did them on 1024x1024 in photoshop and uploaded as .pngs. I've attached photos of them, they are NOT done... but it would be a big help if I could get rid of that crazy blurry-ness. I am very new to creating so I am very sorry if this is an obvious thing

.PNG format works fine, as good as .TGA, assuming you did the alpha channels right and save with a black background. However, first question is are these tattoos for mesh with appliers or for system layers.

1024x1024 works fine on mesh, but as system layers, the system avatar backing system will auto-resize to 512, and it's not the best resizing method in the world,

I've already tried;

Oh here we go...

Doing them on a larger project (1024X1024)

Max system bake resolution 512, resize external to SL using an app with a decent resampled Lancoss B filter, theres a free app called Irfanview, that can do this for you quickly and painlessly.

Putting them on multiple layers

Uselass.

Rebaking the avatar

Useless.

unchecking "use HTTP textures"

Doesn't help, as all that affects is the speed that textures are downloaded from the servers, and you already have.

Clearing Cache

REALLY USELESS! Do not do this unless you have texture corruption or really serious inventory problems, it does not help at all with anything else.

These particular tattoos are for system layers. 

Tazzie was kind enough to send me a notecard on how to do the images with the black background. Thank you Tazzie!

I've downloaded the program you have suggested Klytyna, and I am fiddling around with the tatts to see if I can get things fixed.

Thank you for the advice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, as far as i can tell, by looking at those 2 Pictures, the Spider thingy textures you used are in a too low resolution and 'stretching and or making it bigger will make it look like that, try to use one that is at least as large as your template.

Stretching and or making something larger will make it look bad, its always best to use larger pictures and scale them down to fit on the template, then you will have a nice looking texture.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.