breezemyteddi

how to roleplay a doctor

I roleplay a doctor and have zero medical training. Really, all you need to do is remember every stupid TV show and movie you've ever seen that had a Doctor in it and you are good to go. Google if you want medication names or to get more detailed. It really is easier than you think. Fair warning though, Most doctors don't actually enjoy this role. Patients hit on their schedule, not yours. Most medical play is Emergency and they won't wait for you to have time for them. Rather, they usually will just NPC the scene and move on. 

My cases fall into one of four major categories:

Bullets - This is the big one and it's easy. Pull the bullet (leaving in fragments that are not a danger) and suture the vessels to stop blood flow and then repair muscular/connective tissue damage. Treat with Antibiotics and a heavy Narcotic. Don't forget to pump blood in them as they bleed and if they are unconscious or staying in a coma, put them on a vent. Done.

Autopsies - Mostly NPC autopsies. Mine are crazy detailed but in the end you need a cause of death and then collect evidence left on the body for the cops.

Prenatal/Birth: Google can tell you everything you need for prenatal appoints and birth. Get used to it. You will do it a lot. 

Non-Emergency Care: This usually amounts to a blood test, psychology, physicals for police, prescriptions for weed etc. That sort of thing. 

The best advice I can give you is just to use your imagination and don't be scared to try.The person you are treating knows nothing about medicine either. Most of my 'patients' think I am a real doctor . . . for no good reason at all. 

3 minutes ago, WickedEGrin said:

I roleplay a doctor and have zero medical training. Really, all you need to do is remember every stupid TV show and movie you've ever seen that had a Doctor in it and you are good to go. Google if you want medication names or to get more detailed. It really is easier than you think. Fair warning though, Most doctors don't actually enjoy this role. Patients hit on their schedule, not yours. Most medical play is Emergency and they won't wait for you to have time for them. Rather, they usually will just NPC the scene and move on. 

My cases fall into one of four major categories:

Bullets - This is the big one and it's easy. Pull the bullet (leaving in fragments that are not a danger) and suture the vessels to stop blood flow and then repair muscular/connective tissue damage. Treat with Antibiotics and a heavy Narcotic. Don't forget to pump blood in them as they bleed and if they are unconscious or staying in a coma, put them on a vent. Done.

Autopsies - Mostly NPC autopsies. Mine are crazy detailed but in the end you need a cause of death and then collect evidence left on the body for the cops.

Prenatal/Birth: Google can tell you everything you need for prenatal appoints and birth. Get used to it. You will do it a lot. 

Non-Emergency Care: This usually amounts to a blood test, psychology, physicals for police, prescriptions for weed etc. That sort of thing. 

The best advice I can give you is just to use your imagination and don't be scared to try.The person you are treating knows nothing about medicine either. Most of my 'patients' think I am a real doctor . . . for no good reason at all. 

thanks you're a life saver:)

Dr Quinn, Medicine woman, taught me that the best way to end a chat is with "he's sleeping now". So, there's that. Generally, people sleep after *stuff* goes on, like operations, injuries or whenever you want to finish some sort of medical rp.

Apart from that, try to get some sort of personality. Never just be a doctor, be a grumpy doctor, or absent minded or obcessed with the latest experimental, untested alternative treatment.

Edited by Chronometria