Up and Down Voting

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While I'm on the subject of useless and annoying features, how about those up- and down-voting buttons to the left of thread posts?  When people use these, it changes the order of the posts in the thread.  Many times, though, one post is a reply or an addition to a previous one.  By re-ordering the posts in the thread, it makes it difficult to follow the thread's internal developmental logic.

I vote for eliminating the Vote buttons.  Or at least, use them to only record the number of votes, not to change the order of the posts.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I vote for eliminating the Vote buttons.  Or at least, use them to only record the number of votes, not to change the order of the posts.

The vote buttons are a poor substitute for the old system of having the OP mark an answer as "correct" or at least "accepted".  I agree that they are easily used as a trolling system.  That not only messes up the results but, because of the restacking, makes it very hard to follow a thread here.  I would be very surprised if there were a way to get rid of the voting buttons, but it would be very nice if LL could find a way to let us view posts in chronological order.

2 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Alternatively, please check if the "Sort by Date" function can be set as default order for answers.

I tried requesting this via the Forum Feedback sub-forum:

My preference would be to eliminate the vote arrows entirely - I seldom look at them anyway.  But if the default sort can be changed I'll be a lot happier.

Side note on the vote buttons - if I see that one of the community members gave the correct answer but got voted down (maybe because OP didn't like the answer), I try to combat it with an UP vote.

31 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

I've seen this feature mentioned before but didn't pay much attention. I don't have such a feature. Is it an opt-in that I just skimmed past somehow? This is the entirety of my usual post window.

forum post.PNG

As far as I can tell, the up/down voting option is only visible in Answers.

eg) look here: 

mbu0bLcZT529D859kLxUew.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@Tommy Linden - If the Answers section must have that darn up-down voting thing, it there any way to give us an option of having the 'sort by date' be our default?  When we go into a thread, many of us are set up so that we go to the first unread post.  However, that becomes problematic on threads with up/down voting since we can end up in the middle of the diplayed responses - and it gets even worse when the thread is multiple pages.  Yet, in order to properly answer something, we need to read things in chronological order and thus must always do a sort by date.

A prime example is this thread:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

The thread that Lil' Me points to is a great example of a system gone haywire.  The voting system might be marginally useful if it were actually used to mark "correct" or "useful" answers, but as that thread indicates, it can quickly degenerate into a weapon for blackballing unpopular responses.  Answers should not be managed as a popularity contest.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I think I brought this up some time ago.  I concur ten thousand percent!

Yeah - in reviewing the thread I noticed that we hadn't ever heard anything on this from LL, so I decided to specifically ping Tommy on it.  Maybe they can figure out a way to make the software work the way we want it to.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Since they are only in "Answers" (for questions asked) then..*shrug* :ph34r: but having the answer with the most "votes" rise to just below the question makes sense to me.

I think that's the intention, Love, and it sounds like a great idea.  Take a look at the thread that LittleMe referenced, though, to see how it's being perverted.  It's not marking "correct" or "best" answers.  It's being used as a way to dump on whoever posted, in facebooky like/dislike style.

• Like 3

I LIKE the up/down votes, they are Nature's way of telling you the question has been answered and the answers ignored...

Personally, I'd like to see the use of the system extended to the Forum Feedback section, so people can up vote or down vote bloody silly suggestions to mess with the already iffy forum code...

6 hours ago, Klytyna said:

I LIKE the up/down votes, they are Nature's way of telling you the question has been answered and the answers ignored...

Personally, I'd like to see the use of the system extended to the Forum Feedback section, so people can up vote or down vote bloody silly suggestions to mess with the already iffy forum code...

I am shocked...SHOCKED, I tell you, to find that there is iffy code going on at Rick's.  Er, I mean, the forums.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I am shocked...SHOCKED, I tell you, to find that there is iffy code going on at Rick's.  Er, I mean, the forums.

Wait, did you mean Rick's American Café? I loved that place!

Maybe my favorite line (my favorite scene is when the French B-girl starts singing La Marseillaise) is Bogey saying (to Ingrid Bergman who's pointing a revolver at him), "Go ahead. You'd be doing me a favor."

Such good stuff.

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.