Another Annoying "Improvement"?

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2448 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today, the Answers forums all ask me "Do you really want to mark this forum as read?" when I click "Mark Forum As Read".

Why yes...I do.  Always.  And even if I made a mistake, the posts are all still there, so I can go back and read them.

I hope the Forum Moles will remove this overly solicitous feature and save me a lot of mouse clicks.

• Like 2

As far as I know, there are no forum moles, but I sure hope that @Tommy Linden is listening.  That is definitely a useless new feature, AND annoying.

I notice that we no long "like" a post.  We HEART the thing and it shows that we "reacted" to it.  Paleeze.  O.o  I don't care for the facbooky "like" business anyway, but HEART and "react" is not an improvement.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Can you remove the "Do you really want to mark this forum as read?" question, though?  THAT's the really annoying part.  As Lindal says, marking a question as read doesn't do anything to the question.  We can always go back and read it later, whether it's marked or not.  Why not just assume that if we click the Mark Forum as Read link, that's exactly what we want to do?

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Today, the Answers forums all ask me "Do you really want to mark this forum as read?" when I click "Mark Forum As Read".

They did that before the update too but yes, it's far more noticeable and annoying now, probably mainly because we have to move the cursor much further to click on the yes button but I think the new design makes the dialog box feel more obstrusive and annoying too. It's quite interesting how what is actually a very minor layout change can affect the "feel" as much as this.

19 minutes ago, Tommy Linden said:

I am listening, but....we can't remove the click unfortunately, it is not a feature we have control over.

Unlike Rolig I can actually see that a more nuanced feeback system may have some value and as for the silly "react" word and the tacky graphics, well the old system had an "unlike" option. Language abuse doesn't get much worse than that. ;)

But it's not that important and if it comes bundled with the change in the "Mark forum as read" function, it's not worth it.

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Can you remove the "Do you really want to mark this forum as read?" question, though?  THAT's the really annoying part.  As Lindal says, marking a question as read doesn't do anything to the question.  We can always go back and read it later, whether it's marked or not.  Why not just assume that if we click the Mark Forum as Read link, that's exactly what we want to do?

This is it, precisely.  The forums didn't have this confirmation step until today.  And hey, the "Like" button has changed too, now it has emoticons.  You HAVE been messing about under the hood, don't try to deny it!

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This is it, precisely.  The forums didn't have this confirmation step until today.  And hey, the "Like" button has changed too, now it has emoticons.  You HAVE been messing about under the hood, don't try to deny it!

"I" have seen that "do you really want to mark" comment all along. Nothing new for me. So while something changed, the whole system in that area didn't change -- at least not for all of us. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2448 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.