Skin Appliers

NikleeJ

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

41 minutes ago, NikleeJ said:

I have a Catwa head and a slink body, hands & feet, do I need to buy two separate skin appliers (one for head one for body) or just one?

no matter what brand, you always need two when you have a mesh body ánd head, just be sure to buy the right ones.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

7 minutes ago, NikleeJ said:

so if I have the relays I can buy a skin that has an omega applier and it will apply it to both? I am a newbie all this stuff is mind blowing.

Yes. You can get the Omega relay kits on the Marketplace, or in the Omega inworld shop where they are cheaper for group members. You have to have the Omega relay HUD on the screen when applying the skin.

The Omega system "merely" enables you to use appliers which aren't limited to your specific mesh head or body brand.

You cannot, however, unversially say that all Omega skin appliers will come with a head and a body texture. That strongly depends on each creator and you should carefully read info notecards and vendor texts to make sure what you're getting... after you demoed, demoed, demoed everything.

Actually, even an Omega head applier might not fit on all Omega enabled heads in the same way. Hence why you'll usually see ads like "Omega head applier modelled on Catwa / LAQ / AK..." - the "skeleton" of each different head isn't perfectly the same. An applier works in such a way that it tells the mesh head "hey, I'm putting texture X onto your 3D shape", So on different 3D base shapes, the applied texture will stretch a little differently. Quite like a shirt in RL which will not look the same if the very same shirt is worn by 3 different wearers with different bdoy shapes.

If you need good tutorials and lots of reading stuff about mesh bodies and heads, keep looking at http://meshbodyaddicts.com/ .

Edited by Lillith Hapmouche
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, angeoco said:

You can use an Omega applier which will work with both Catwa and Slink. First you have to have the Omega relays for both Catwa and Slink.

yes but this isn't the question, you need TWO appliers when you want a skin for body AND head.

7 hours ago, NikleeJ said:

I have a Catwa head and a slink body, hands & feet, do I need to buy two separate skin appliers (one for head one for body) or just one?

as i said: you need both.

13 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

no matter what brand, you always need two when you have a mesh body ánd head, just be sure to buy the right ones.

I tested it just now :-P . I put on a Maitreya body and a Catwa demo head, both leading brands. I started with a green scifi skin Omega applier and applied it using the Maitreya and Catwa relays. No problem, it worked on both head and body. I tested a few other (conventional) skin Omega appliers from other makers, and they all worked too. So, you can use a single Omega applier for both head and body.

However, it is true that some skins are only detailed either below or above the neck, leaving the other part white, so in practice they are only useful for that region. As always, it is essential to read the description, and demo before spending much money.

Edited by angeoco

On 8/9/2017 at 5:47 PM, NikleeJ said:

so if I have the relays I can buy a skin that has an omega applier and it will apply it to both?

No.  The Omega applier is a system that lets creators off the hook for making separate appliers for every brand out there.  If Brands A, B, and C are Omega compatible, then the creator only needs to make one applier that'll work with the Omega relay.

However, skins can be made for an entire body...head, hands, feet, and body...OR it can be made to cover only the body, which some creators making skins for mesh bodies will do.

IF your skin is for the entire body, THEN you can use your Omega relay to apply it to both your body and your mesh head.  But if the skin is just for the body, it will only work with the body.

Second Life's creative community is both one of its great strengths, AND one of its weaknesses...because not everything will work with everything.  There are a couple of good resources available, for doing research on mesh bodies and heads: http://meshbodyaddicts.com/ and https://strawberrysingh.com/  Strawberry also has tons of YouTube video reviews of products, the links are available through her blog.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.