WOW! Dress complexity

Zsigmond Alcott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No suprise to me. I've seen a lot of old content, that seems to be really poorly made, which is sadly contrary to many peoples gut feeling, which usually tells them, that the old stuff should make them more resource-friendly than any mesh. But of course thats often not the case. That skirt has probably a lot of individual textures on each attachable piece.

• Like 1

And she does not even look overdressed. I see only shoes and hair in addition to the dress. It looks like she has an ordinary head, no mesh head. Is she wearing a mesh body? Hard to tell from the pictures.

Where does the almost 300 000 complexity come from? Is there a zero too much?? Seriously, it should be impossible to go over 100 000 with so few items on, mesh body or not.

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

No suprise to me. I've seen a lot of old content, that seems to be really poorly made, which is sadly contrary to many peoples gut feeling, which usually tells them, that the old stuff should make them more resource-friendly than any mesh. But of course thats often not the case.

True... But I don't understand WHY that runs counter to people's gut feeling.

As we get better at this, we learn to optimize more. And so does Linden Lab. The tech available to us over time is more efficient.

I am always surprised that people do not realize this.

So that dress is basically using two bad technologies. One of which is largely still unavoidable.

Flexi - which causes animation stress

Transparency - which causes your GPU to have to calculate the color of any given pixel on your screen as seen through a variety of objects from 'camera' to 'end point of sight' - and the more transparencies it passes on that journey, the harder it is to render.

- Combine these two and you have a multiplied burden, because what is transparent and how much so keeps changing.

There's nothing we can do about transparency - the difference between it being in SL and not is obviously too dramatic to. Whenever I can, I flip things to 'alpha mask' which is just an 'on/off' transparency and not a blend of colors and light variables. But that too usually looks bad on anything with detail.

Flexi on the other hand, is a tech that needs to die off.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

I have a beautiful flexi ballgown from the olden days that comes in at 2.2 million on the CI scale. 

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

And she does not even look overdressed. I see only shoes and hair in addition to the dress. It looks like she has an ordinary head, no mesh head. Is she wearing a mesh body? Hard to tell from the pictures.

Where does the almost 300 000 complexity come from? Is there a zero too much?? Seriously, it should be impossible to go over 100 000 with so few items on, mesh body or not.

I actually had some hairs that registered 150-200k and I found a couple of pairs of shoes that managed to ring in around 100k - they were patterned shoes rather than a single color, but still...

26 minutes ago, Sciuriadi said:

I have a gorgeous red ballgown that I won from a lucky chair... I look a million dollars in it, but that dwarfs the 2.8 million complexity when all ruffles and frills are added.

The one I have like that is really beautiful.  I'm keeping it until I get around to getting a good picture in it, then will likely trash it since I know I'll never wear it out.

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

On top of that, those toruses are set to flexi, are semi-transparent and textured. 

Ummm, no. There is no such thing as a flexi torus in Second Life. Only cylinders, boxes and prisms can be made flexible.

I think I cleaned out a lot of the things that would send me way up there in the numbers, just trying to get my inventory number down..

I may have something in my objects or lost and found folder though..

Right now I can't seem to get to the 200k marker,but I'm trying..hehehehe

On 09 August 2017 at 5:57 PM, Marianne Little said:

I was going though the hair folder a few months back, and found a hair from a brand that these days boasts of it's low rci hairs, so I tried it on, it was a reasonably modern mesh hair, unrigged, short style, and it's rci was... 350,000.

• Sad 1

Just when you thought that creators would get the notion and focus on optimizing complexity, along comes one of the "to go" stores for mesh clothing and publishes this:

36495088726_83f6c8fa3d_o.thumb.jpg.71fad9341889337d2c253cc8bbb5474a.jpg

Dress and boots add over a whopping 200,000 score points to your draw weight and the fan group cheers, "Why should I care for complexity?", "I want to look good on my end!", "It's gorgeous! Beautiful! Amazing! Stunning!" as well as "Complexity scores are all wrong anyway, who cares...".

EDIT: According to a fresh group notice, the outfit is getting reworked in order to fix an error. That error might have triggered the unusually high number.
Kudos to the creator!

Edited by Lillith Hapmouche
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

and the fan group cheers, "Why should I care for complexity?", "I want to look good on my end!", "It's gorgeous! Beautiful! Amazing! Stunning!" as well as "Complexity scores are all wrong anyway, who cares...".

Perfectly reasonable as long as they stay away from public places.

Which reminds me: I noticed yesterday that LL had rejected Casper Warden's JIRA about the lsl mistake that makes it impossible for a script to determine an avatar's render cost. So I opened a new one at https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-134130

It would be great if people could vote for it and maybe add their comments too. We need a lots of votes and time is short - before LL has time to close it. Casper's JIRA got 13 votes and even that wasn't enough for LL to even consider it seriously.

For those who are a bit uncertain what it means: if it was possible to make a script that read avatar render costs, landowners would be able to keep track of which visitors had high lag avatars else's viewers and do whatever they deemed necessary to prtoect the other visitors from them.

Edited by ChinRey

Not a complexity issue, but a friend of mine who's been away for some time recently asked me if I could help her figure out why areas with script memory meters were booting her out.  She came in at 277 scripts, 5.8MB memory use.  I brought her over to my place and rezzed my own script counter and we went through her stuff one by one as she was wearing all classic items.  Turned out to be the shoes - her heels accounted 267 of the 277 scripts shown by the counter, and without them she was sitting at a mere 10 scripts.

I told her it was time for some shoe shopping.  xD

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Donovan Michalski said:

Not a complexity issue, but a friend of mine who's been away for some time recently asked me if I could help her figure out why areas with script memory meters were booting her out.  She came in at 277 scripts, 5.8MB memory use.  I brought her over to my place and rezzed my own script counter and we went through her stuff one by one as she was wearing all classic items.  Turned out to be the shoes - her heels accounted 267 of the 277 scripts shown by the counter, and without them she was sitting at a mere 10 scripts.

I told her it was time for some shoe shopping.  xD

Temp2.thumb.jpg.30cb7e824f8b83f66cf96068fa793dd1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.