Keep getting logged out

MrJokerrrr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

14 minutes ago, loobyandlouie said:

it needs to be a second or so 

No, I have told you several times now.  It needs to be less than a quarter of a second (250 msec).  Even a quarter of a second latency will give you problems, but you ought to be able to stay logged in.  You will just lave in-world lag, teleport problems, and rubber-banding as you cross region borders.  Do not tell your ISP that you will be satisfied with a latency of a second.  That will not work.

Edited by Rolig Loon

1 hour ago, loobyandlouie said:

Now they said it must be how we have the internet set up in our house

Tell them you need more specifics, since likely the company was the one that actually set the stuff up initially - at least they do around here.

You can also go out to speedtest.net and see what your ping times are to various locations in the UK and here in the US.  Pull up a map and get the name of different US spots, especially places in the state of California - then check ping times to those places.  

And if life really was all good until 1-2 weeks ago, ask your IP what might have changed in that time.

@loobyandlouie I suppose the tech is a bit deep for you as it is for many.  I'll explain it in what I hope will be understandable terms.

In simple terms all the information exchanging between your computer and the SL computers is traveling in 'letter' like packets, just like paper mail. If you were sending letters explaining how to do something and one of the letters got lost, it would be a problem. You would have to realize a letter/packet was missing and ask for it to be resent before you could proceed. That all takes time. Only limited time is available. 

Think of it as 'child rearing' information. At some point the kid grows up and leaves home. That letter on diaper changing is no longer of use. Everyone gives up and moves on.

So, the problem is in finding where the letters are getting lost or delayed. Packet lost is about how many letters/packets were lost. PING is about how long a letter takes to get from you to the server and an answer to come back. The the letter asking about diaper rash has to get an answer while the kid still has a rash and/or wears diapers. Otherwise it is useless.

The trouble shooting guide (http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/) is about how to do that.

The reason you have to do it, or you have to talk a friend into doing it, is because customer service at an ISP is a cost to the company and they tend to do whatever is quick and expedient. That usually means they blame everyone else; you, SL, a politician, moon phase...  The troubleshooting provides the information to show whose problem it is; SL's, yours, or the ISP's. You then have to send them, SL or the ISP, the information to get them to stop pointing fingers and do something.

49 minutes ago, loobyandlouie said:

IWell yes I was thinking about that he plays poker all over the world avatar game now and think I’m going to delete everything and just start again because I downloaded si but it just took me back to my other account 

The viewer will typically save the avatar name that logged in last.  Just clear the field and type in a new avatar name -- assuming you have already created a new account on the SL website.

To create a NEW account, go to secondlife.com - if you do NOT see 'SIGN UP' in the upper right corner, then you need to first Log Out your current account.  Then do the Sign Up.

45 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

assuming you have already created a new account on the SL website.

It sounds that that's her most recent mistake.  Downloading the viewer again won't create an account.  A viewer is just ... well, a viewer.  If you want to create a new account, you create it exactly the same way that you creates your previous one, and you can use the same viewer that you already have on your computer.

looby, to create an alt:

Go up to the top of this page.  On the right, click the little triangle next to your name.  Select SIGN OUT.  Or, go to your Dashboard page and click Log Out in the upper right.  You want this page:

Capture.thumb.PNG.c5bbe23969428e702ef1cd5807439daf.PNG

Click the "JOIN FREE" button.  Follow the instructions to create another Second Life account.  DO NOT use your current user name, think of another one.

Once you have gone through all the steps, log in with your new account.  Come back and tell us how well it worked, or didn't work.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.