Keep getting logged out

MrJokerrrr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

20 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Wait .....  you did what?  How did you "back up" anything on the SL servers?  Did you make copies of everything and save them in your inventory?  If so, that's silly.  Your inventory is nothing more than a glorified table of contents.  It dosn't have "things" in it, just like the table of contents in a book dosn't have the book chapters in it.  If you have made copes of a pile of stuff and saved them in your inventory, all you have done is increase the number of entries and potentially create a crowding problem.  Folders with a lot of entries take a long time to load fully, so they can prevent login simply because the system runs out of time.

Ok iv backed up stuff to my laptop in one of my folders Iv looked and the is much stuff in my si inventy so I’m wondering if that is the problem 

It sounds like you have a fundamental misunderstanding about the way inventory works.  Notecards and LSL scripts are text files, so we do typically keep local copies of them.  If you create a texture or a mesh model yourself, you can of course keep the files that you create.  They are not in your inventory, though.  All of your assets in SL are stored in Linden Lab's server bank and are addressed by reference.  All that's on your laptop are a bunch of "pointers" that tell the servers where to look.  Text files, textures, and models that you store there would all have to be uploaded and added to your inventory before you could use them in world.

16 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It sounds like you have a fundamental misunderstanding about the way inventory works.  Notecards and LSL scripts are text files, so we do typically keep local copies of them.  If you create a texture or a mesh model yourself, you can of course keep the files that you create.  They are not in your inventory, though.  All of your assets in SL are stored in Linden Lab's server bank and are addressed by reference.  All that's on your laptop are a bunch of "pointers" that tell the servers where to look.  Text files, textures, and models that you store there would all have to be uploaded and added to your inventory before you could use them in world.

Ok well that’s good enough for me I don’t really understand a lot of computers or games as it goes lol

14 minutes ago, loobyandlouie said:

what is going on lol 

well... pretty sure what's going on.. your connection is really really bad.. a ping of 100.000 wil make playing SL impossible.

How to solve it?... if nothing what's told here helps, you need to contact your ISP, and hope it's at his side, and not somewhere out of his reach...

• Like 2

LittleMe explained that part to you when you first said it, two pages ago ...

22 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

unless he is also in SL, that cannot be compared.  Most games are a static download that you install and the actual 'play' is not a constant stream of data between your end and the game server.  SL is totally different and relies on constant communication. 

It doesn't make any difference what your "man" can do with another game.  Playing a simple game like WoW is nothing like SL.  Your Internet connection can be just fine for doing other things, but if it can't handle rapid, continuous data transfer between your computer and Linden Lab's servers, you won't be able to log in to SL and do anything.  As we've all said, that seems to be your problem.

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

LittleMe explained that part to you when you first said it, two pages ago ...

It doesn't make any difference what your "man" can do with another game.  Playing a simple game like WoW is nothing like SL.  Your Internet connection can be just fine for doing other things, but if it can't handle rapid, continuous data transfer between your computer and Linden Lab's servers, you won't be able to log in to SL and do anything.  As we've all said, that seems to be your problem.

Yes but why we had sky internet when I join the si account a year ago we only changed it in may to a different internet sky Broadband 

45 minutes ago, loobyandlouie said:

Yes but why we had sky internet when I join the si account a year ago we only changed it in may to a different internet sky Broadband 

Internet connections can get messed up all the time.  If you cannot create another account at this time (though that makes no sense either), your next bet is to talk directly to your ISP.  The issue is your ping time.  You can have them check the connection through to California - San Francisco area.

16 hours ago, loobyandlouie said:

Even tho I’m in the uk I can have them check as far as California and San Francisco 

They can check the full path probably easier than you can.  Though you might have to push them a bit to get them to do it.

Tell them you are attempting to play Second Life and seeing ping times around 10 seconds to the server in "San Francisco California" and that you've been told 1.5-2.5 (0.1-0.3) seconds is what most UK users normally experience.

And I would periodically keep trying to get a second account created so that you can verify it really is not account related.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
Too much not paying attention while typing yesterday and doing a lot of really bad math in my head.

35 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Internet connections can get messed up all the time.  If you cannot create another account at this time (though that makes no sense either), your next bet is to talk directly to your ISP.  The issue is your ping time.  You can have them check the connection through to California - San Francisco area.

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

They can check the full path probably easier than you can.  Though you might have to push them a bit to get them to do it.

Tell them you are attempting to play Second Life and seeing ping times around 10 seconds to the server in "San Francisco California" and that you've been told 1.5-2.5 seconds is what most UK users normally experience.

And I would periodically keep trying to get a second account created so that you can verify it really is not account related.

Ok that’s a good idea yes I will keep trying to getting another go at adding another account on si I will do that tomorrow and yes ok I will say about the ping test 10 seconds is to much and then hay it should be even low than 3 seconds 

16 minutes ago, loobyandlouie said:

Ok I must have satellite internet ong

Oh, my.  Remember, I said you would have to bounce the signal off the Moon to get a ping time as long as yours?  I was almost right.  You're bouncing it off a satellite that's waaaaay up in orbit.  It will take a signal a very long time indeed to make that trip.  It's not the ISP's fault.  You just made a poor choice.  You will never be able to enter SL with that connection.  Sorry.

Geosynchronous satellites orbit at 22,500 miles. A ping requires sending a message up to a satellite, where it is then relayed back to Earth and forwarded to the destination. The reply message must also go up and back, so that's four trips of 22,500 miles each, or 90,000 miles, plus any travel time on the ground in the wired network from satellite stations to/from the endpoints (server and viewer). The speed of light in a vacuum is 186,000 miles/sec, so a satellite connection would produce a ping time of ~500ms plus ground latency.

The moon is ~240,000 miles away, so a ping would cover nearly a million miles in just over 5 seconds. Rolig's guess of a Moon bounce was pretty darn close. To get a ping time of 10 seconds suggests that a section of your connection is running at the speed of sound (~1ms/ft) rather than the speed of light. That's exactly what would happen if someone spliced in two tin cans and a mile of string.

;-).

4 hours ago, loobyandlouie said:

I didn't really notice the specifics of this when I quoted it and said talk to your ISP.   Like the others have mentioned, if your internet is truly via satellite, then you really haven't got a chance with SL.

7 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Geosynchronous satellites orbit at 22,500 miles. A ping requires sending a message up to a satellite, where it is then relayed back to Earth and forwarded to the destination. The reply message must also go up and back, so that's four trips of 22,500 miles each, or 90,000 miles, plus any travel time on the ground in the wired network from satellite stations to/from the endpoints (server and viewer). The speed of light in a vacuum is 186,000 miles/sec, so a satellite connection would produce a ping time of ~500ms plus ground latency.

This is not how usual sattelite internet works, usually you have satellite downstreams wheras your upstreams are done over a much slower terrestrial connection... but I guess that does not make the pings any faster ;)

Edited by Fionalein

8 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

No, it should be lower than 250 milliseconds --- less than 10% of three seconds. Even a ping time as high as 250 msec is likely to give you serious lag issues.

8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Wait...you are connecting via a broadband connection?  I mean, like 4G wireless?  Or satellite internet?  Both cellular and satellite connections are a terrible idea for SL.

And ok I see less than 3 seconds ok 

4 hours ago, Fionalein said:

This is not how usual sattelite internet works, usually you have satellite downstreams wheras your upstreams are done over a much slower terrestrial connection... but I guess that does not make the pings any faster ;)

Yes, most consumer satellite internet service uses the satellite for downlink only. That's a vestige of satellite TV, which needed no uplink connection. Some (most?) service providers support satellite uplink when no landline connection is available. I have friends who built a cabin in northern Wisconsin and did not want to spend the money to have utilities trenched in. They get what little power they need from solar/wind and have a pure satellite connection for their internet. They pay less for that connection than for a spotty cellular data plan.

I chose the full up/down satellite connection as my example because it compares well to bouncing signals off the moon in both directions.

Now that the OP has discovered their internet connection is terrestrial, we're left to wonder where on Earth the latency is coming from. Either the ping time has been misread, some kind of store-and-forward operation is being performed by their ISP (dunno why anyone would do that) or the OP's PC has a problem in its network stack, causing packets to queue up in some buffer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.