EllieAnne Silverfall

Enhanced Listings

Hi, I just started using enhanced listings and with the first couple I did, it was easy and I could see my listings in the featured sections. Now, because I have a nice set I just listed, I wanted to list it on the home page and on a category landing - so I did. Here's the fun part - LL already took my L for the listings, but they are no where to be seen. I've checked over and over again. Why aren't they up?

Also, on my enhanced listings report, 2 of my listings are not there, but I can find them on MP. 

What gives?

(I'm aware that maybe I should ask LL these questions, but I thought maybe some of you have experience with these issues)

Thanks

I don't know when you listed them but sometimes it can take a few hours to show up.  I don't know why but have noticed it in the past.

I listed them yesterday, about 14 hours ago or more. 

I wonder if it might have to do with the number of enhanced home page listings in total - like they only show so many at a time.... in which case, the more expensive home page listing may not be worth it, in my view. But, I guess I'll try the week and see. 

Also, really annoying that we can't select how long IN TOTAL we want the enhanced listing, rather than the auto-renew. I know they do that to catch L because people will forget. 

• Like 1

Duh sorry I misunderstood.  I thought you meant it wasn't showing in your enhanced click through stats page (forget what its called now)

There are likely 100s on the home page, the chances of seeing yours pass by isn't very likely i guess without hours and hours refreshing

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 1

Odds are pretty good you will rarely if ever, see your own listing, regardless of how long you look, in the enhanced section. There are countless(to us, LL has the actual numbers) of those listings. That's why they also give you a stats page thing you can look at.  As for your listing not showing up on that stats page, that I think only LL can answer(but it may have something to do with just taking time to show up on the stats page...dunno though).

I don't find any value in enhanced listings, haven't for years, so I don't use them, lol. 

2 minutes ago, EllieAnne Silverfall said:

I did find that a category landing page enhancement improved sales on one of my items, so I'm willing to give that a go again, but I don't think I'm going to do homepage again. what a waste :(

Homepage enhanced listings are vastly overrated, if you want my honest opinion. There are far too many listings there, and not enough people that stay on the homepage for long enough to *ever see much of an improvement in sales, odds are good you'll never see your listing there at all no matter how long you look. I honestly think it is a huge waste of money, and I haven't yet found anyone that says otherwise (just being honest here, lol, but there are threads about enhanced listings). Keep an eye on your listing payments too, I know that has been an issue more than once in the past (like people being extra charged, or after selecting it to  *not* auto-renew,  it doing so again). LL will make it right if it happens, don't get me wrong, but some folks don't catch it right away. 

Landing page ones, depends on the product/market I suppose. I know I've bought a few things from enhanced listings on the landing pages over the years, mostly like furniture and stuff. Some things though, especially fashion(which you may not have to worry about) there are just too many, and I don't think most shoppers scroll through them, for more than a minute or two. 

• Like 1

Greetings all!

Most of the information that has been provided is correct, I am just taking this opportunity to consolidate it into one post.

- Being able to see your own Enhanced Listing in the Scroller on the chosen page will depend entirely on how many other Enhanced Listings are on the same page at the same time. Obviously it will be easier to see your own item if there are less than 20 other items showing at the same time.

- The Traffic Report is generated for the previous 24 hours.  If you add a PLE to your item today, you will not see traffic numbers for the item until tomorrow. 

- Category Landing Pages may be more effective since your item is shown only to users who are already looking for the items in that particular category.  This is usually the case if your item is a niche product or a product targeted to a narrow set of users.

As with any type of Advertising Campaign, numbers should be crunched often.  If you find that using a Category Landing Page is effective for your item, but the Homepage is not, then you should consider using the Category Landing Page Enhancements and not the Homepage.

Some merchants use Homepage Enhancement for new listings, or for Demo/Free items as a way to grab the attention of users and draw them into their store and products.  Homepage Enhanced items may not always translate into direct sales on the item that has the PLE, but it may drive overall sales to your entire product line because a user sees the Homepage Enhancement and then looks at your other items and purchases something different.

• Like 5

@Tari Landar

I have to agree (a little too late, it seems). I tend to think I'm the average shopper and I know my own habits when it comes to marketplace - and I typically go straight to categories or use the search engine, because I am looking for something somewhat specific (maybe a new sofa or table lamp) Occasionally, I'll just browse in a category to see if anything new suits my fancy. I don't really stay on homepage long. 

@Dakota Linden

That was very helpful! Thank you for taking the time to sum everything up. I'm definitely going to see how things pan out this week and go from there, but I think I understand the concept of "loss leader" much better now - and I agree - featured cheap, but quality items catch my eye and I am more likely to check out the store's other items after I click through. 

• Like 1

I'm also late but who cares lol

When going on SL MP I open the landing page and look straight to the left to open a certain category and believe many people are same - they don't stay long on the landing page because there is not much to do. If you want to place your ad on a general place like this then its better to go on the cashout page because people spend more time there and they HAVE to scroll down to click the button. 

In general, best is to see the ratio for your item - total number of units sold per month before the Enhancement was paid and after, looking at that information will help you decide is the price for the Enhancement worth spending? 

I buy them one by one, only after I have carefully studied how much the Enhancement affects the sales - in general and for that particular item. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tamara Artis said:

I'm also late but who cares lol

When going on SL MP I open the landing page and look straight to the left to open a certain category and believe many people are same - they don't stay long on the landing page because there is not much to do. If you want to place your ad on a general place like this then its better to go on the cashout page because people spend more time there and they HAVE to scroll down to click the button. 

In general, best is to see the ratio for your item - total number of units sold per month before the Enhancement was paid and after, looking at that information will help you decide is the price for the Enhancement worth spending? 

I buy them one by one, only after I have carefully studied how much the Enhancement affects the sales - in general and for that particular item. 

Hi Tamara Artis,

The Enhancements on the Checkout Page only show up if the order total is Zero Lindens so not everyone who places orders on the Marketplace will see those items.

• Like 1

Here is my take on enhanced listings, my own 2 cents after years of being a designer in SL. This is a personal evaluation based on my number crunching as Dakota Linden said.

I have flirted and still do with Enhanced Listings. Home Page, Category Page --> you name it. This is what I found (again based on years of doing this)

1. Like anything else in SL there may be absolutely no correlation between what you advertise and what is purchased. Keep in mind a potential customer may click on the advertised item, look at the related items and start going from there. There is no way to track that and no way to know if any given sale on the MP was a direct result of the advertise or not.

2. Does it help sales? Well, it may not help sales, but if you have the funds and you are still being profitable, it may help to go to a main Category page and put a few items there, (I only do for a week at a time). That is simply the ABC of branding. Customers land and constantly see your items. It goes in and though you may not make a sale then, the name will start being branded into customer's heads.

3. Does it make you money? Again just looking at clicks is like creating an App and trying to sell it for millions based upon clicks. No one in the high tech business would ever buy into that click ratio. In the real world investors and owners want the click to pay ratio. This LL does not give you, nor can they the way the system is now. Again no tracking from one item to another etc. 

4. I have a few times advertised nothing, advertised one item, advertised over a period of a week 10 items (divided between category and home).  Yes there was a little tick up in sales in some things and certainly the Demo addicts had a field day! (Do not get me started on the Demo addicts!) Other items did nothing while inworld they were selling. It is really impossible to tell. MHO, those stats on clicks are from the 1990's. They mean nothing anymore. Certainly not to your pocketbook or your investment. 

5. In regard to actual sales I just said this to a friend -> the following is copied and pasted from the convo (only what I said) though below is about advertising in SL in groups etc.. But I believe the same thing applies to the MP in many ways.

one day .. after another 20 years...I promise I will figure out the buying patterns of people in SL....after 8 years I am still mystified by it LOL
I advertise one thing a day usually...they come they buy a totally different thing...i advertise clothes they buy tip jars...i advertise necklaces they buy clothing..i advertise clothing they buy necklaces...i advertise tip jars they buy pubic hair....i advertise pubic hair they buy boots....drives me bonkers

All the above has led me to believe that sales are not what to expect from the Enhanced Listings. Use them to brand your name and type of items you sell. Do it enough times, with sanity over your pocketbook and funds, and you will begin to see new customers both at the MP and InWorld. Just do not expect to make thousands of sales based on an enhanced listing. Also keep your own spreadsheet. I used to be shocked when I spoke with other designers who had no clue what any item they created actually cost them. If you do not know the cost, which includes advertising and uploads and creation and all the other things (even events), then how can you know if you are turning a profit?  I no longer am shocked. I just shrug and keep my mouth shut. To each their own.

Like I said at the beginning. This is my own 2 cents. You may find your mileage varies or you totally disagree. 

As in everything else...never sweat the little stuff 

• Like 3

I agree with Sixpence, the enhanced listing may not correlate to a direct sale of the item advertised today, but it does give your brand exposure, and that is often times difficult to quantify. Over the years, I've discovered a lot of new brands and products as a result of those listings. In fact, Just recently, this enhanced listing for a kitchen set caught my attention. I didn't buy it, but it was definitely something I'd consider for a future purchase, so I saved it. If it weren't for those listings, I would never have been aware of that product/brand.

On 8/7/2017 at 6:02 PM, Dakota Linden said:

Some merchants use Homepage Enhancement for new listings, or for Demo/Free items as a way to grab the attention of users and draw them into their store and products.  Homepage Enhanced items may not always translate into direct sales on the item that has the PLE, but it may drive overall sales to your entire product line because a user sees the Homepage Enhancement and then looks at your other items and purchases something different.

Great point Dakota!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

All of the above makes sense, however one topic is not sufficiently explained imho: does my listing enhancement show at all? I paid for a week to show my niche product on the landing page in the category "art". Now after 10 hrs, I keep reloading and my product NEVER shows up. There may be hundreds of listings... in this category, the same line shows up every time, after each reload. The same products, in the same order. That seems very strange... what could be a possible explanation? I visited the category page with different browsers from different devices. Same product line on both.

Edited by Alurcha Niekerk

15 minutes ago, Alurcha Niekerk said:

All of the above makes sense, however one topic is not sufficiently explained imho: does my listing enhancement show at all? I paid for a week to show my niche product on the landing page in the category "art". Now after 10 hrs, I keep reloading and my product NEVER shows up. There may be hundreds of listings... in this category, the same line shows up every time, after each reload. The same products, in the same order. That seems very strange... what could be a possible explanation? I visited the category page with different browsers from different devices. Same product line on both.

I think the advice is generally give it 24 hours but if there are a lot of products on that landing page enhanced, you might not see it 

The point is that there are only 8 products enhanced on that landing page, and mine is never one of them. I'll see what happens after 24 hours, but I pay for 7 days... amd that's one spent without any benefit. 

1 hour ago, Alurcha Niekerk said:

The point is that there are only 8 products enhanced on that landing page, and mine is never one of them. 

When I go to the main page, I see the Shop & Hop ad at the top, a scrollable 'Featured Items' area, and then a 'What Customer are Buying Now' area. The last section does show 8 items -- is that what you are referring to by an "Enhanced listing"?  Given how that section is titled, if you can pay money to get your item listed there, to me that sounds like deception to the customers.

I would have guessed that a paid 'enhancement' would put it in the 'Featured Items' area - though I don't see you stuff there either, even though there are definitely far more than 8 items in that scroll area. 

I pay for 7 days... amd that's one spent without any benefit. 

Submit a Support ticket to LL and talk to them about it

You are right, LittleMe, there are 13 featured items, not 8. That is where I expected my product to show. However, it only shows the same 13 items, not mine.

Does anybody have an idea who I could ask about the listing enhacements? Somebody must run that stuff. I am sure there is an explanation for this.

6 minutes ago, Alurcha Niekerk said:

You are right, LittleMe, there are 13 featured items, not 8. That is where I expected my product to show. However, it only shows the same 13 items, not mine.

Does anybody have an idea who I could ask about the listing enhacements? Somebody must run that stuff. I am sure there is an explanation for this.

You will have to contact support and ask or Dakota Linden might read the thread and answer but might not be for a while

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alurcha Niekerk said:

The point is that there are only 8 products enhanced on that landing page, and mine is never one of them. I'll see what happens after 24 hours, but I pay for 7 days... amd that's one spent without any benefit. 

It can take a bit of time for your enhancement become active it can also be that you will have to refresh the page many many times before your enhancement shows to you. over the years any time i've done an enhancement it was the cheapest L$0 checkout one and when i went to buy a L$0 item to test my enhancement i had to refresh the page of featured items numerous times seeing the same stuff come up many tens of times before i saw my item. it may be a deliberate feature that your own enhancement is shown to you fewer times than other peoples

• Thanks 1

The enhanced listings are rotated on a semi-random basis. That means when a listing makes it to the top of the list, it's likely to stay there for a while before it's replaced with another one. It should even out over time though. If it doesn't the function has been broken recently.

How many impression you get for your enhanced listing, depends on how many other ads there are on the lsit at any given time. I've tried front page enhanced listing a few times and always ended up with about 30 displays a week so I suppose that's what you should expect.

• Thanks 1

Greetings Alurcha Niekerk!

The Enhancement is actually placed on the Art - Paintings Landing page, and not the main Art landing page. 

You can go to your Manage Subscription page to see this information.

When you are on the Marketplace, click on the My Marketplace link at the top of the page and choose Merchant home from the drop down options.

Look for the Manage Subscriptions link in the menu on the left side of the page.

The PLE entry will show you which landing page was chosen when you added the Enhancement. 

When you go to the Art - Paintings category, your item is the only one showing in the Featured Items section. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Solved! Thank you all for your support. I chose too small a niche. Moved it up to the main page of the category, and now I see it. Can't wait to see it perform!  :)