Tdawg14 Landfall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Enough is enough!!! I am tired of my ISP or anyone else who keeps telling me to contact the damn developers of Second Life, and when i do, they are blatently rude and telling me they can't help me!! I tried to fill a jira and where did that leave me?!!! no where!!! i got a brand new computer, sold everything i had, where did it lead me?!!! same place. I am pissed off. my avatar keeps messing up, i get packet loss,my ISP are  <MODERATOR REDACTED>, and im constantly yelling and i lose my computer over it. i have been patient long enough. i am tired of it! i am tired of this stupid service not helping me with a damn thing. I told my friends that i may need to leave SL because of this crap. I AM TIRED OF IT!!! I want better tech support so i can do the things on SL I ENJOY! not wait 5 years when nothing is going to come out of it! i want a solution to this issue. 

Edited by Dakota Linden
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

On 10.8.2017 at 11:23 AM, Tdawg14 Landfall said:

its bringing up "beta" and redirecting me to dallas

The Ookla test won't show packet loss anyway, only ping time and transfer speed.

The first thing you ought to do is check how much packet loss you have. I suppose you've already done that but you can find it right at the bottom of "About (whatever viewer you use)" in the Help menu.

---

Next is to check if there is any internal packet loss in your system.

How to do that depends on what OS you have but with Windows, open the Command Promt window (window key + R) and type:

ipconfig and then hit the enter key to get the IP address of Default gateway

then type

Ping -n 50 (Default gateway IP address)

to ping your router 50 times. That's going to take a little bit of  but you want that many samples to get a statistically reliable answer. At the end you'll get a message how many packets were lost. There shouldn't be any.

You may want to try again with a larger sample - 500 instead of 50 - for a more reliable result but be prepared to wait a while before the data is ready.

---

If you want to, repeat but this time use the IP address of one of SL's sim servers. For example:

Ping -n 50 216.82.51.209

That's the current address to Help Island Public. It probably won't tell you anything the first two tests didn't show though.

---

It can be tricky to find out exactly where the packet loss occur but try http://www.dslreports.com/pingtest/

That test will trace the routes from four different servers around the world to your computer. It won't show the whole route to Second Life of course but one of those servers is in San Francisco so it should follow the same route much of the way. In any case, if there is a bad node close to your home (which seems likely), it should turn up in the results you get there.

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

The Ookla test won't show packet loss anyway, only ping time and transfer speed.

The first thing you ought to do is check how much packet loss you have. I suppose you've already done that but you can find it right at the bottom of "About (whatever viewer you use)" in the Help menu.

---

Next is to check if there is any internal packet loss in your system.

How to do that depends on what OS you have but with Windows, open the Command Promt window (window key + R) and type:

ipconfig and then hit the enter key to get the IP address of Default gateway

then type

Ping -n 50 (Default gateway IP address)

to ping your router 50 times. That's going to take a little bit of  but you want that many samples to get a statistically reliable answer. At the end you'll get a message how many packets were lost. There shouldn't be any.

You may want to try again with a larger sample - 500 instead of 50 - for a more reliable result but be prepared to wait a while before the data is ready.

---

If you want to, repeat but this time use the IP address of one of SL's sim servers. For example:

Ping -n 50 216.82.51.209

That's the current address to Help Island Public. It probably won't tell you anything the first two tests didn't show though.

---

It can be tricky to find out exactly where the packet loss occur but try http://www.dslreports.com/pingtest/

That test will trace the routes from four different servers around the world to your computer. It won't show the whole route to Second Life of course but one of those servers is in San Francisco so it should follow the same route much of the way. In any case, if there is a bad node close to your home (which seems likely), it should turn up in the results you get there.

this isn't just a packet loss problem. each time i walk, i have a 1 second step lag with pingsim and server frames dropping. it really gets in the way when i try to explore areas i always visit, like furry sims or rlv sims. i don't get any abnormalities when testing for lost packets. its only when im exploring do i have issues. i tried setting up my card on nvidia control panel and that didn't really help. it can't be a internet issue. and if it isn't an internet issue, what is it? 

10 minutes ago, Tdawg14 Landfall said:

this isn't just a packet loss problem. each time i walk, i have a 1 second step lag with pingsim and server frames dropping.

Oh kay. You did check your firewall, didn't you? There are three apps you need to put on the extepmtion list there, the viewer itself, and ... can't remember exactly what the other two are named, WinCrashLogger and SlMediaPlugin or something like that. If you don't tell your firewall to leave them alone, you can sometimes get huge ping time peaks when you try to move in SL.

13 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Oh kay. You did check your firewall, didn't you? There are three apps you need to put on the extepmtion list there, the viewer itself, and ... can't remember exactly what the other two are named, WinCrashLogger and SlMediaPlugin or something like that. If you don't tell your firewall to leave them alone, you can sometimes get huge ping time peaks when you try to move in SL.

i don't know how to do that :(

3 minutes ago, Tdawg14 Landfall said:

i don't know how to do that :(

I probably can't help you with the details there. It's been a while since I did that myself and it depends on which firewall program you use of course. But there is a control panel for it and there you will find among many other things a list of all programs you have that are using some sort of internet connection and a checkbox for each to tell the firewall which should be extempt. If you tell us which firewall and which OS yu use, there's a good chance somebody else here will be able to tell you exactly how to do it. Or you can search for instruction on the internet.

Btw, if you have several viewers installed, there will be multiple instances of the crash logger and the plugin and you have to extempt each of them separately.

1 minute ago, ChinRey said:

I probably can't help you with the details there. It's been a while since I did that myself and it depends on which firewall program you use of course. But there is a control panel for it and there you will find among many other things a list of all programs you have that are using some sort of internet connection and a checkbox for each to tell the firewall which should be extempt. If you tell us which firewall and which OS yu use, there's a good chance somebody else here will be able to tell you exactly how to do it. Or you can search for instruction on the internet.

Btw, if you have several viewers installed, there will be multiple instances of the crash logger and the plugin and you have to extempt each of them separately.

my OS is windows 10 home. 

Your system has two firewalls.  A software firewall that's part of Windows, and a hardware firewall built into your internet modem or router.

here's the official LL information about firewalls:

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/using-second-life-with-a-firewall-r599/

However, it does not specifically address the Windows 10 firewall.

Here is an article that should provide some insights: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-10/adjust-windows-10-firewall-settings/

DISCLAIMER:  Fiddling with your firewalls when you don't know what you are doing can MESS UP YOUR SYSTEM.  I take no responsibility!  Be sure to write down the original settings for anything you change.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

16 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Your system has two firewalls.  A software firewall that's part of Windows, and a hardware firewall built into your internet modem or router.

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/using-second-life-with-a-firewall-r599/

Here is an article that should provide some insights: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-10/adjust-windows-10-firewall-settings/

DISCLAIMER:  Fiddling with your firewalls when you don't know what you are doing can MESS UP YOUR SYSTEM.  I take no responsibility!  Be sure to write down the original settings for anything you change.

scar___i_m_surrounded_by_idiots_by_mompop26isback-d87jtbo.png

21 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

im sorry...i tried disabling firestorm,slplugin,and wincrashlogger and today pingsim rose to 2000 or more. where else do i go? what else do i do?

37 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

you are not making this any easier. we are going in circles. ive tried the firewall before. i cant work it out. not on my own.

Sigh.  You don't DISABLE those.  You delete any existing rules in the firewall's list that concern them.  Then you set the firewall to ALLOW them.

Please re-read my final comment.  If you don't know what you are doing, you should not be messing around with your firewall settings.  Get a local friend who knows computers to come and help you.  

Edited by Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.