Tdawg14 Landfall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Enough is enough!!! I am tired of my ISP or anyone else who keeps telling me to contact the damn developers of Second Life, and when i do, they are blatently rude and telling me they can't help me!! I tried to fill a jira and where did that leave me?!!! no where!!! i got a brand new computer, sold everything i had, where did it lead me?!!! same place. I am pissed off. my avatar keeps messing up, i get packet loss,my ISP are  <MODERATOR REDACTED>, and im constantly yelling and i lose my computer over it. i have been patient long enough. i am tired of it! i am tired of this stupid service not helping me with a damn thing. I told my friends that i may need to leave SL because of this crap. I AM TIRED OF IT!!! I want better tech support so i can do the things on SL I ENJOY! not wait 5 years when nothing is going to come out of it! i want a solution to this issue. 

Edited by Dakota Linden
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

yes there is! I called the billing line to say that i had a case they said "you have to wait" when i have been waiting since friday. i filed a jira once last year, it led me to them not being able to solve my pingsim,packet loss(inworld only),and avatar lag issue i have had for several years now. even on my new alienware r 17. Why can't there be a direct tech support for non premium members? i can't even do what my ISP told me to do, speak to the devolopers directly. thats impossible for me to do. im tired of trying to fix a problem i will never be able to fix. i wasted too much energy trying and complaining. it isn't worth it anymore :'(. the game is unplayable on my end. Packet loss only inworld, pingsim rising,rubber band effects,av step/walk glitches. things i CAN'T resolve. 

3 minutes ago, Tdawg14 Landfall said:

Enough is enough!!! I am tired of my ISP or anyone else who keeps telling me to contact the damn developers of Second Life, and when i do, they are blatently rude and telling me they can't help me!! I tried to fill a jira and where did that leave me?!!! no where!!! i got a brand new computer, sold everything i had, where did it lead me?!!! same place. I am pissed off. my avatar keeps messing up, i get packet loss,my ISP are assholes, and im constantly yelling and i lose my computer over it. i have been patient long enough. i am tired of it! i am tired of this stupid service not helping me with a damn thing. I told my friends that i may need to leave SL because of this crap. I AM TIRED OF IT!!! I want better tech support so i can do the things on SL I ENJOY! not wait 5 years when nothing is going to come out of it! i want a solution to this issue. 

I don't think it's rude to tell someone you can't help them if it's true. And it's probably true. A great many people connect to SL just fine. When there is an isolated problem it's usually at the customer end or at the ISP. When SL itself has a problem, lots of people are usually affected and LL fixes it. Your packets exit the SL server farm on the same lines as everyone else's. Until your traffic is peeled out of the aggregate SL stream to be routed to you, it's traveling through the same hardware as every other SL packet. The rest of us haven't endured five years of issues, so it seems unlikely the problem is at the SL end, though SL does need an low error, low latency connection. Not all ISPs can provide that. Nor, for that matter, can all wi-fi connections.

I understand your frustration. If you haven't got relief for the packet loss in five years, it may be time to investigate your router/wi-fi setup, switch ISPs or toss in the towel.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

SO, what is the issue with SL? I mean, you ranted on for a bit and never said what the problem was.. Not sure why you posted this in the answers section if there is no question..

I called the billing line to say that i had a case they said "you have to wait" when i have been waiting since friday. i filed a jira once last year, it led me to them not being able to solve my pingsim,packet loss(inworld only),and avatar lag issue i have had for several years now. even on my new alienware r 17. Why can't there be a direct tech support for non premium members? i can't even do what my ISP told me to do, speak to the devolopers directly. thats impossible for me to do. im tired of trying to fix a problem i will never be able to fix. i wasted too much energy trying and complaining. it isn't worth it anymore :'(. the game is unplayable on my end. Packet loss only inworld, pingsim rising,rubber band effects,av step/walk glitches. things i CAN'T resolve. 

9 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I don't think it's rude to tell someone you can't help them if it's true. And it's probably true. A great many people connect to SL just fine. When there is an isolated problem it's usually at the customer end or at the ISP. When SL itself has a problem, lots of people are usually affected and LL fixes it. Your packets exit the SL server farm on the same lines as everyone else's. Until your traffic is peeled out of the aggregate SL stream to be routed to you, it's traveling through the same hardware as every other SL packet. The rest of us haven't endured five years of issues, so it seems unlikely the problem is at the SL end, though SL does need an low error, low latency connection. Not all ISPs can provide that. Nor, for that matter, can all wi-fi connections.

I understand your frustration. If you haven't got relief for the packet loss in five years, it may be time to investigate your router/wi-fi setup, switch ISPs or toss in the towel.

how can i do anything if my ISP won't even cooperate >:(

10 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

all they will do is keep forwarding to the developers

1 hour ago, Tdawg14 Landfall said:

all they will do is keep forwarding to the developers

Are you certain the problem isn't in your home? Your ISP is probably able to verify integrity of the connection from their internet feed to your modem. If they have verified that, there's really nothing more they can do. If LL's connection to the internet is sound (and if it isn't, lots of us would feel the effects) there's nothing they can do. Replacing a computer won't fix a bad internet connection, replacing/repairing/reconfiguring your home's networking might. It's also possible you're using a DNS server that's causing problems.

Read this web page for ideas...

http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

19 minutes ago, Tdawg14 Landfall said:

I called the billing line to say that i had a case they said "you have to wait" when i have been waiting since friday.

The billing line handles billing. You don't call them for technical support. For that you submit a support case here... https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/.

If the problem is on your end (as I suspect it is) they won't be able to help. Basic members don't get the level of support that premium members enjoy, like live chat support. If you want to try that, become a premium member for one month.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tdawg14 Landfall said:

the game is unplayable on my end. Packet loss only inworld, pingsim rising,rubber band effects,av step/walk glitches. things i CAN'T resolve. 

Those are all typical characteristics of am unreliable Internet connection, things that only you can resolve.  The usual culprit is your router.  Most of the time, it can be cured by simply rebooting both the router and the modem (unplug them from the power for a few minutes, plug them back in, and restart everything).  Be sure that you are not using a wireless connection, which is neither recommended nor supported by Linden Lab.  Be very sure not to use a satellite connection, which will be guaranteed to have a long ping time.  If you've done all of those things and you are still having problems, take Maddy's suggestion and add the free Google DNS servers to whatever your ISP provided when you set up service with them.  Also, check out all of the advanced suggestions in Nalates's blog  >>> http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Two final suggestions:  (1) Consider replacing your router.  If it's more than 3 years old, that's a good idea anyway.  Technology keeps advancing and an older router is likely to be lacking some of the features that can help stabilize a noisy connection. Check for bad cable connections too. (2) Insist that your ISP check the connections at the place where their service enters your house.  I had a problem with corrosion in a junction box at the street a few years ago until my ISP finally replaced the box.

And one piece of advice: Relax, and stop yelling at people who who like to help but cannot.  As Maddy has explained, you have been wasting energy by yelling at people who have nothing to do with your problem.

• Like 4

TDawg, you're getting some good advice.  In addition, I would advise you to approach the problem logically.  Up to now, you've been taking a shotgun approach, if you'll pardon my saying so.  Here's the deal:

• LL Billing can't help with technical issues, only billing problems.  So it's no good calling them.
  • The JIRA is for reporting bugs in Second Life.  While your problem is no doubt frustrating, it's NOT a bug...because thousands of other people connect successfully to Second Life.  So it's not something that can be fixed by changing the code.
  • Filing a support case with LL won't help, because they can only fix things that they can fix.  The problem is either in your home network or something provided by your ISP.  Back up and re-read Rolig's advice; she's given you the most likely culprits to check out.
  • Packet loss and ping time problems are NOT indicative of a problem on SL's end.  These indicate a ***connection problem*** between your computer and the Second Life servers.  Again, check your home network out, and/or take the problem up with your ISP.  If they are unhelpful, change ISPs.
  • Like 3

TDawg, Lindal's right on the money. Packet loss and ping time problems are not anything that Linden Lab's technical support - and certainly not their billing support! - or Firestorm's technical support can fix. Those problems happen before Second Life gets into the picture.

You are going to  have to isolate your problem to either the network in your home or else your ISP. Either or both may be at issue here. Given your ISp's reaction, it's probably best to eliminate your own home's network as an issue. How is your PC connected to your Internet router? Is it wireless, or is there an Ethernet cable? Try turning off anything and everything else in the house that connects to the net. Do you still have a problem then? If not, then check out your Internet router. Try moving your computer next to it and plugging in an Ethernet cable, if it's wireless.

Most of all, though, you are going to have to concentrate on where the problem actually lies. Giving LL or Firestorm tech support a hard time because they can't fix your packet loss issues is only going to frustrate you both.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tdawg14 Landfall said:

Enough is enough!!! I am tired of my ISP or anyone else who keeps telling me to contact the damn developers of Second Life, and when i do, they are blatently rude and telling me they can't help me!! I tried to fill a jira and where did that leave me?!!! no where!!! i got a brand new computer, sold everything i had, where did it lead me?!!! same place. I am pissed off. my avatar keeps messing up, i get packet loss,my ISP are assholes, and im constantly yelling and i lose my computer over it. i have been patient long enough. i am tired of it! i am tired of this stupid service not helping me with a damn thing. I told my friends that i may need to leave SL because of this crap. I AM TIRED OF IT!!! I want better tech support so i can do the things on SL I ENJOY! not wait 5 years when nothing is going to come out of it! i want a solution to this issue. 

Let me guess: And whenever you have any problem in SL, you assume it's someone else's fault, and abuse them. Right? Including the Firestorm support volunteers, of course. Because they are so "rude". Unlike you, who are unfailingly polite.

SL would be so much pleasanter a place without people like this ruining it for others.

3 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Let me guess: And whenever you have any problem in SL, you assume it's someone else's fault, and abuse them. Right? Including the Firestorm support volunteers, of course. Because they are so "rude". Unlike you, who are unfailingly polite.

SL would be so much pleasanter a place without people like this ruining it for others.

perhaps you don't get my situation. My ISP are the ones continously telling me it's Linden Lab's servers and putting me in a state of anger, where i don't want to be in. they "Don't" help, even after i tell them my problem. They keep saying "it's the servers and i suggest getting in touch with the developers". If i didn't have any friends on here, i would have left the community all together. 

4 hours ago, Tonya Souther said:

TDawg, Lindal's right on the money. Packet loss and ping time problems are not anything that Linden Lab's technical support - and certainly not their billing support! - or Firestorm's technical support can fix. Those problems happen before Second Life gets into the picture.

You are going to  have to isolate your problem to either the network in your home or else your ISP. Either or both may be at issue here. Given your ISp's reaction, it's probably best to eliminate your own home's network as an issue. How is your PC connected to your Internet router? Is it wireless, or is there an Ethernet cable? Try turning off anything and everything else in the house that connects to the net. Do you still have a problem then? If not, then check out your Internet router. Try moving your computer next to it and plugging in an Ethernet cable, if it's wireless.

Most of all, though, you are going to have to concentrate on where the problem actually lies. Giving LL or Firestorm tech support a hard time because they can't fix your packet loss issues is only going to frustrate you both.

My ISP are the ones continously telling me it's Linden Lab's servers and putting me in a state of anger, where i don't want to be in. they "Don't" help, even after i tell them my problem. They keep saying "it's the servers and i suggest getting in touch with the developers". I hate bringing this up. like i told pamela, if i didn't have friends here i would have left SL. and my friends do NOT want me to leave. 

Also i am using an ethernet cable. With a computer that has the requirements to run SL. 

1 hour ago, Tdawg14 Landfall said:

Also i am using an ethernet cable. With a computer that has the requirements to run SL. 

The first part of that statement matters in this particular issue - the second one, not so much.

Have you done everything that Rolig suggested above and read the article she pointed you to.  It might be your ISP, but it also might be your router or where your internet actually enters your house, etc...

8 hours ago, Tdawg14 Landfall said:

My ISP are the ones continously telling me it's Linden Lab's servers ... They keep saying "it's the servers and i suggest getting in touch with the developers"....

Better contact your ISP again.  If they give you this excuse, tell them 1) "It can't be the Second Life servers, because 40,000 other people are connected to them right this moment" and 2) "Please escalate this problem to the next level of technical support."  If this approach does not lead to a resolution, change your ISP.

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Better contact your ISP again.  If they give you this excuse, tell them 1) "It can't be the Second Life servers, because 40,000 other people are connected to them right this moment" and 2) "Please escalate this problem to the next level of technical support."  If this approach does not lead to a resolution, change your ISP.

Lindal, thank you. this has been going on since 2015, and I should remind you they convinced my parents of this and I got a talk from them stating that I wasn't allowed to call them because of this one issue. I will give it one more time.

6 hours ago, Tdawg14 Landfall said:

Lindal, thank you. this has been going on since 2015, and I should remind you they convinced my parents of this and I got a talk from them stating that I wasn't allowed to call them because of this one issue. I will give it one more time.

How old are you? 

6 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

How old are you? 

im 30. and before you say ANYTHING, yes i still live at home. i can't live on my own because im insecure. i don't even have a job. i left home in a police car in 2005 and was sent to group homes i didn't like. lived there for 4 years, came home, was not well due to what happened at those homes. My hands kept jerking, my hands were sweating, i could barely talk, i had lots of problems. May of that year i found the furry fandom and joined SL, found friends on here, and ive been here ever since. so you see, thats why im attached to SL and the friends i met. say what you will about me still being at home, it won't matter. 

Also i noticed the guidelines. Dakota Linden, if you are reading this please note that this was meant as a question as to how to resolve a ongoing issue. if any kind of rule was broken you may close this feed. im deeply sorry. it got out of hand. i didn't know where else to turn. i was mad when typing...i had these problems for a while and well, no one offered me a solution for the last few years. Let me know by replying. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.