Broken Script?

Benji Sorbet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ok i'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this but i really don't know what to do

i dont understand much about scripts so bear with me please

i have a rezzer script its supposed to rez say food from a plate but in the last few months has stopped working right

it has the ability to rez a lot of things but it only rezzes some of the things usually some mesh and not others

either it says the item has rezzed and i see nothing there or i click the menu to rez the item and nothing appears the blue menu disappears and i have to click the plate again to get the menu back again

i've had these scripts for years and it was working fine now i dont know what its problem is

every item in the plate is copy every item is full perm to me ive tried different viewers ive tried adding a prim to the mesh (works sometimes) ive tried different settings on my computer ive tried readding the item to the plate about a dozen times this is many items btw not just one thing

ive contacted the script creator many many times he just doesnt answer no idea why tried im's nc's he has a mailbox and a pager at the store still no answer   i just dont know what to do or who to turn to i cant sell any finished products this way

ty  folks

25 minutes ago, Benji Sorbet said:

i cant sell any finished products this way

Before casting about for some hold on the original question, let's understand this part. Are you selling products that themselves do rezzing, or are you rezzing products that are sold? And, if the latter, are you selling the very items that are rezzed or are those just demo samples? This part is mostly about just how messy your permissions-setting must be, but it also determines what options you may have for replacing the script, depending whether you're distributing the script as part of the product or only using it yourself.

Perhaps the simplest thing that could go wrong would be that the script is confused about its own location, but that would affect everything it tries to rez, every time, and would be probably be fixed simply by resetting the script. (The reason this comes readily to mind is that the underlying "rez" functions, llRezObject() and llRezAtRoot() both use region coordinates, not offsets from the rezzer, a bit of calculation scripts can sometimes get wrong, and if they ask to rez something too far away it will just silently fail.)

Otherwise.. unless there's something special here that's not obvious, this is really not a very difficult script. There may well be a library script that can do what you need, or you might only need "prop"-rezzing by a furniture animation engine.

First, let's see if the items are actually rezzing and, if so, where they end up.    Drop a copy of this simple script in the items you are trying to rez and see what it tells you when you try to rez them

default {
	on_rez(integer start_param) {
		llOwnerSay("Rezzed at "+(string)llGetPos());
	}

moving_end() {
		llOwnerSay("Now at "+(string)llGetPos());
	}
}

That should tell you whether they've rezzed or not and, if they are rezzing, where they're ending up.

Since scripts don't suddenly break for no reason after they've been working satisfactorily for some time, I want to check if they're actually rezzing anything.    It could be that the rezzer is working OK but the items (for whatever reason) aren't rendering properly. 

ETA   Have you changed the table recently?   In particular, has the root prim changed at all?    I'm not sure now whether you mean your table was working before and has now broken or you mean that you've made a new table (or modified the old one) and things have stopped working.

Edited by Innula Zenovka

Another idea I had, is if it is the mesh items that don't seem to be rezzing is it may still be loading. Try right-clicking and Editing about where the item should be. If you're able to select something, but it's invisible. It could be the mesh isn't fully loaded and you'll see a torus made up of a bunch of triangles but not texture layers on it. I have this happen sometimes with meshes I've recently acquired and didn't previously view in world, or sometimes ones I haven't rezzed in a while. Sometimes they take seconds, sometimes several minutes to load depending on lag and how complex the mesh is.

Another thing is, make sure you don't have duplicated names in the contents, like a texture or notecard with the same name as an object. I think it only appends numbers to the items with the same name if they are of the same asset type.

Edited by Ruthven Willenov

As scripters, our first inclination is to treat everything as a scripting problem, but that's not always true.  We're assuming that it's a problem with the script, because you told us that's what you believe.

It could be a problem with the region's server.  Have you tried using the system on a different parcel or a different region? Maybe it's a problem with your graphics card.  Do other users (not just your own alt, using your machine) see the same problem when they click on your rezzer?  Maybe there's something odd about the items you are trying to rez.  Will the rezzer still work with objects that you have put in it successfully in the past?

BTW, the creator may be a bum but it's also possible that he is on an extended vacation or is lying in a hospital somewhere or is dealing with some other serious personal crisis.  Or it could be that his computer died or simply that his mailbox is capped. 

ive been using this same script (a paid one btw) for a long time and its worked for a long time some months ago now it decided for some reason to not rez everything

ive been using it right since its been working right the right perms the right spot on the plate and all that

now the stuff that ends up invisable i can readd and do the process over again and it shows the stuff that doesnt rez, well, it simply doesnt rez it hasnt moved anywhere it isnt taking a long time to it just isnt appearing that simple script works for the stuff that rezzes it tells me the drink is where i see it (ty btw) the stuff that doesnt rez i see nothing

ive tried a totally different sim ive tried having someone else try and rez things no good sometimes if i add a plain old prim to the mesh food item i can get it to rez sometimes not sometimes if i redo the process 6000 times i can get stuff to rez sometimes not sometimes nothing works ive tried different plates and placemats and different food

a while back hamburgers wouldnt rez now it will

ive made many things in the past using this script plates to lunchboxes and it worked

is it me? is it my computer? how do i figure all this out? im so stuck

i just tried a little while to rez something from a new plate thats worked in the past and now it wont as far as the script creator i thought he might have some kind of rl problem but honestly how is anybody supposed to know?

theres nothing in his profile theres nothing at the store he logs on like once every 3-6 months

although he was doing that a long long time ago when i was in his group people would ask questions and there was nobody to give them an answer

2 minutes ago, Benji Sorbet said:

now the stuff that ends up invisable i can readd and do the process over again and it shows the stuff that doesnt rez, well, it simply doesnt rez it hasnt moved anywhere it isnt taking a long time to it just isnt appearing that simple script works for the stuff that rezzes it tells me the drink is where i see it (ty btw) the stuff that doesnt rez i see nothing

That is one long, complicated sentence.  I'm having a hard time parsing it to figure out what it means.  So.... stuff "ends up invisable"?  Does that mean that it rezzes but it's transparent. or does it mean that it doesn't rez at all?  And when you say "i can readd and do the process over again and it shows the stuff that doesnt rez,", what is "it"? How does "it" show stuff that doesn't rez?  What does " it tells me the drink is where i see it " mean?

11 minutes ago, Benji Sorbet said:

is it me? is it my computer? how do i figure all this out? im so stuck

As Rolig was saying, if you try to rez something, don't see it, and other people on other computers do see the very item you aren't seeing, then the problem is on your computer. It they, too, don't see it, then it's not your computer.

8 minutes ago, Benji Sorbet said:

i thought he might have some kind of rl problem but honestly how is anybody supposed to know?

theres nothing in his profile theres nothing at the store he logs on like once every 3-6 months

The point is, you don't know, so don't leap to conclusions.  People leave SL sometimes.  Deal with it.  The easiest solution, as Ruthven suggests, is to use a different system.  There are certainly plenty to choose from.

when some things rez from the plate sometimes its there but its invisable i click manage on the menu and it says somethings rezzed when i cant see it

when i take out the mesh that rezzed that i couldnt see and readd it the plate and redo the nc then it will show

other mesh food and drink items simply wont rez at all they havent rezzed far from the plate their not hiding somewhere their just not there

manage shows how many items are rezzed and for the things that refuse to rez at all the menu says 0

the simple script someone pasted i tried inworld it says the mesh drink is rezzed next to the plate in the spot i put it in

the things that dont rez i see nothing from that simple script

8 minutes ago, Benji Sorbet said:

when some things rez from the plate sometimes its there but its invisable i click manage on the menu and it says somethings rezzed when i cant see it

when i take out the mesh that rezzed that i couldnt see and readd it the plate and redo the nc then it will show

other mesh food and drink items simply wont rez at all they havent rezzed far from the plate their not hiding somewhere their just not there

manage shows how many items are rezzed and for the things that refuse to rez at all the menu says 0

the simple script someone pasted i tried inworld it says the mesh drink is rezzed next to the plate in the spot i put it in

the things that dont rez i see nothing from that simple script

This has some new information. Not sure we'll figure out what's going wrong, but here's some new stuff we know:

Sometimes (but not always) the rezzer apparently thinks it's rezzed something (from "manage" on its menu) even though you can't see it. If you can monitor the parcel's Land Impact while that's happening, you can determine if the script is mistaken in counting things as rezzed that aren't in fact rezzed, or if they're really there but "invisible" somehow.

By not reporting for items that don't rez, Innula's simple script confirms that indeed they aren't rezzing, and apparently in those cases the rezzer's "Manage" also thinks nothing was rezzed. That's interesting because it means the rezzing script either didn't even try to rez the object, or didn't observe the object rezzing -- most likely, didn't see an object_rez event, although I'm just speculating how the script might be written.

I know it can't be this simple, but just grasping at straws: There's plenty of spare Land Impact capacity on any parcel where this is being tested, right? And these are just normal objects, not Temporary, right?

Also... it's true we scripters may be obsessing over what's going wrong here, as opposed to just leaving it behind and trying a whole different system. I notice mention of food and drink, so I wonder if these items really want to end up attached and not merely rezzed, in which case there's a way to use Experiences to make that happen seamlessly. As one example, AVsitter is a popular system (recently open-sourced) that uses its own Experience to make that happen. You might try that, or roll your own Experience script, or not -- I may be completely missing the point of your products -- but if they're aiming to distribute attached food and drink, you might want to consider how that works with Experiences.

7 hours ago, Benji Sorbet said:

ive been using this same script (a paid one btw) for a long time and its worked for a long time some months ago now it decided for some reason to not rez everything

Scripts don't suddenly stop working for no reason.   There's no moving parts to wear out, and they don't run out of fuel.  Since you say the script is no-mod, it can't accidentally have been changed.  So whatever the problem is, it's not your script.

Edited by Innula Zenovka

I'm wondering if the item permissions might have anything at all to do with it. Like in the items you're trying to rezz.

Honestly, whether the guy who sold you the script is a poop head or not, if it isn't working properly and you need it to work and they can't or won't help you, I'd agree with the above persons and recommend using a different rezzing script.

If nothing else, it would solve whether it was the script failing to work properly or something else causing the issue. If a different script works, it was the script. If it doesn't, then it wasn't.

Normally I'd also say to make sure the script has been reset after modifying the containing object's contents, too, but at this point that's probably redundant.

Edited by Berksey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.