Time Warp

Oliveryork

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The weirdest thing has just happened to me.

I leased some land and made the payment, then started to put up a house and trees, then everything froze, so I relogged,

When I got back in, less than a minute later, everything that I had done was gone and the land was back to where it was about an hour earlier, with the for lease sign. It was as if nothing had happened.

I have lost no copy stuff, obviously, but that isn't a big deal and I have the record in my account of the payment for the lease, but this seems like a major SL glitch and I have never seen anything like it before.

I have done a cache clear just in case, but nothing ! I just can't believe a sim can go back to something earlier in minutes and why would it anyway ? Is this something normal that I don't know about ?

Thank you.

Update - Thanks Rolig, but I went through the problem with the land manager and they did not ask for any roll back and don't understand what happened either. It is not mainland. They are going to ask LL, but picking up on your point, maybe LL roll back if they notice a serious problem with a sim ?

Edited by Oliveryork

4 answers to this question

48 minutes ago, Oliveryork said:

I just can't believe a sim can go back to something earlier in minutes and why would it anyway ? Is this something normal that I don't know about ?

Yes.  It is called a "rollback".  A region owner can ask Linden Lab to return the region to an earlier state -- usually no more than a few hours in the past -- if there has been some terrible disaster.  I have made the request when someone accidentally did some incredibly horrible terraforming that buried almost everything in the region. Linden Lab is very careful about agreeing to those requests, because residents can lose no-copy items that were rezzed in the roll-back period and because unscrupulous people might use a roll back as a way to duplicate no-copy things.  Of course, on the Mainland, the Lab is the owner, so they can sometimes do a rollback if they have detected a serious problem. If you are concerned and on the Mainland, you might ask Live Chat if they can tell you about your region. Read more at

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oliveryork said:

Update - Thanks Rolig, but I went through the problem with the land manager and they did not ask for any roll back and don't understand what happened either. It is not mainland. They are going to ask LL, but picking up on your point, maybe LL roll back if they notice a serious problem with a sim ?

It's also possible that the region crashed & came back online at the last saved sim state, which can roll a region state back from anything between a few minutes and over an hour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oliveryork said:

They are going to ask LL, but picking up on your point, maybe LL roll back if they notice a serious problem with a sim ?

Yes, of course Linden Lab can always decide to roll back any region if there seems to be a serious enough issue.  After all, they own the entire thing.  As I said, though, they are very cautious about doing rollbacks.  Rollbacks are as close as we can get to time travel, with all of its paradoxes.  Whirly may be right that a server may have had a bumpy recovery from a crash.  Stranger things have happened.

• Like 1

Just for future reference:  Don't clear your cache.  This used to be the standard go-to fix for everything, like the doctor saying "take two aspirin and call me in the morning."  But SL works differently under the hood than in former years, and just about the ONLY reason to ever clear your cache is if you develop missing inventory problems.  For anything else, it won't help and may add to your problems due to the time it takes to re-load your cache from the servers.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.