Wrong Permissions in Inventory?

coolraddudeman76

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I want to sell a texture applier on the Marketplace. It's a modified version of a copy/no-mod/trans applier, and the instructions say to change the permissions of the copy/no-mod/trans script inside. I did so by rezzing the applier and setting both things as copy/no-mod/no-trans. However, when I take the applier back into my inventory, it's still labeled as copy/no-mod/trans. I'm concerned that if I sell it as it is now, it's going to have those permissions and not the ones I changed it to. Is it showing up as that for me because I'm the current owner? Will the permissions change once someone buys the applier? I'm asking to make sure since I'm new to selling.

2 answers to this question

3 hours ago, coolraddudeman76 said:

Is it showing up as that for me because I'm the current owner?

Yes

3 hours ago, coolraddudeman76 said:

Will the permissions change once someone buys the applier?

It should.

But the whole permission system in Second Life is a horrible mess and seems to be deliberately designed to trick people into making mistakes.

If you're unfamiliar with its many quirks and flaws and feel uncertain, give a copy of the applier to an alt or - if you don't have alts - a friend you trust and see what permissions they get it with.

• Like 3

I'll just add: some of us who are familiar with the SL permissions system still need to test with our alts. Maybe not if it's just packaging something in normal workflow, but... well, for example, every time I try to make use of the "slam bit" I have to re-read the wiki article and test 'til I get it to work. SL permissions really are complicated -- yet in some ways, just not complicated enough to work sensibly.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.