Offsim skydome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hopefully, this is in the right section.

I have a renter that wants to put a skydome a thousand or so meters in the air, however, the parcel is only 1160 sqm. That being said the sky dome (which is beautiful I don't blame the renter for wanting it) is advertised as such: "Dome elements are off sim, and set to fit even the smallest 512 sqm parcel. Once when rezzed in the sky the dome will take 64 m diameter visually and it will not disappear or show up on your neighbors land in any technical way. However, you must be aware that you can place your house or rezz new prims in the dome only inside of your own land borders." 

The creator also has a 100sqm dome, which also says it can fit in a 512 parcel?

Is this even possible without having issues about encroachment on the neighboring parcels? I have had items returned to me for what I could only guess is having some animated tree shadows on a neighbor's parcel, because I used them as a border on a platform about roughly 1000m in the sky. The root prim was on my parcel, so they had to be looking around up there. If they don't like a shadow in their air-space, I don't think they would want a skydome up there, lol. I don't know how it would be any different with an offsim sky-dome versus a shadow leaf?  Any ideas, please and thank you. 

In theory, based on old experiences, I agree with your concerns, both in terms of shadow casting and encroaching.

In your case, it would probably be an interesting experiment with your renter, yourself and probably one of the neighbors. Then let your renter rezz that dome and check if the merchant's claims are true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purplerain Horowitz said:

Is this even possible without having issues about encroachment on the neighboring parcels?

If you're on good terms with your neighbors and ask them, they'll probably allow it unless the skydome actually interferes with something on their land.

If you're not, there's a good chance they'll return the dome just because they can.

Thank you, both. I am not on bad terms with the neighbors(I don't think) we just kind of go about our own business. I guess I thought it was a little odd that some shadows with root prim on my parcel occasionally swaying into their parcel would be a  bother, especially since it was on a platform in the sky -not in their yard or visible unless looking for them. That is why I don't want to ask them about that dome, lol. But, it is their parcel, so it is not my business if those things bother them. Just because it wouldn't bother me, doesn't mean it shouldn't bother someone else. I have let people put their privacy wall on my land, to keep the back boundary cleaner looking, maybe I am a pushover...lol. I will just have the renter see if they can find one that will fit the parcel. Does anyone know of a creator that makes some nice, smaller skydomes?

All of that being said is there any sort of tool or something in the viewer settings that will show the boundary lines up in the sky? Right now I rezz a platform, size it on the ground and set the position at 1000m. I don't want this encroachment issue to happen again, so something up in the sky would really help. I really like to max out as much of my parcel as I can, I like my landscaping :)

Thanks again

22 minutes ago, Purplerain Horowitz said:

I forgot to add that I did contact the creator to see how the skydome set-up works, but no reply yet. I am curious to understand how those claims could be true. No response yet. 

Rereading you original post, I can actually think of not only one but two ways to make a surround landscape encroaching on neighbor plots without the neighbors being able to return it. I'm not going to go into detail here in case it would give somebody unhealthy ideas. Only a very unscrupulous merchant would take advantage of either of these loopholes but there's hardly any shortage of unscrupulous merchants in SL.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

I have done something like this in the past but on Abandoned land. I had my stuff up there until I moved with no problem. BUT there was no one to send it back -- it was just bumpy maintenance land. I also put trees and other items on the abandoned lot next door to my shop with the root prim on my property and named that prim ("Delete as needed - just beautifying") The trees were there for a long while until the piece went up at auction. Now I have a neighbor next door :D.  

I have some 32 x 32 surrounds (both city night and country day) but they WILL NOT give the feeling of a huge sky dome (obviously) so doubt that is what your renter is looking for. 

Also even the maker did some sneaky stuff, the neighbor could put in a support ticket and get the dome removed .  If it were me, I wouldn't OK it until the land owner next door wrote me a note (or IMed) that it was OK with them -- giving the renter the responsibility to check that. It really isn't YOUR responsibility IMHO :D.

Well, I do it a little bit different myself. I talk to my neighbors and they talk to me. If there's anything that affects both me and one of them, we discuss it.

I know this goes against everything Second Life stands for but hard as it is to believe, it isn't actually mentioned in the ToS so tehncically it is allowed. And it's amazing how many problems can be easily solved that way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Purplerain Horowitz said:

Hopefully, this is in the right section.

I have a renter that wants to put a skydome a thousand or so meters in the air, however, the parcel is only 1160 sqm. That being said the sky dome (which is beautiful I don't blame the renter for wanting it) is advertised as such: "Dome elements are off sim, and set to fit even the smallest 512 sqm parcel. Once when rezzed in the sky the dome will take 64 m diameter visually and it will not disappear or show up on your neighbors land in any technical way. However, you must be aware that you can place your house or rezz new prims in the dome only inside of your own land borders." 

The creator also has a 100sqm dome, which also says it can fit in a 512 parcel?

Is this even possible without having issues about encroachment on the neighboring parcels? I have had items returned to me for what I could only guess is having some animated tree shadows on a neighbor's parcel, because I used them as a border on a platform about roughly 1000m in the sky. The root prim was on my parcel, so they had to be looking around up there. If they don't like a shadow in their air-space, I don't think they would want a skydome up there, lol. I don't know how it would be any different with an offsim sky-dome versus a shadow leaf?  Any ideas, please and thank you. 

If i find something encroaching on my parcel even 3000 m up, i return it.

You can rezz a full sim mega prim on your 512 if you want, as long as the co-ordinates of the prim are inside the boundary of your parcel.

As the root of the dome will be in the 512 centre it will technically not be visible by the neighbours, except the shadow (which is weird anyways but that's a different subject) and it will be visible. The neighbour has the full right and possibility to return the dome.

Would you return such a dome? I would not. Would your neighbour return it? No idea.

Returning stuffs that doesn't eat up your prim count is not nice imho. I'd rather have a skydome then a skydome radar autorezzer next to my parcel.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.