Jump to content
Myra Wildmist

Dear LL, please fix the profile feeds

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

If the feeds were that important to me, I'd be happy they were looking into it and working on the problem...not complaining they aren't moving fast enough. They could, after all, remove the feature entirely(as is most commonplace when something gets such little use) 

What are the official statistics on feed usage? Do you know, Tari?

I'd say at least 15% of my friends use it regularly. That's just my friends, so I have no idea of the actual percentages. But I think it's significant enough that they should be fixing it as soon as possible.

While you might be satisfied with the fact that they're working on it, your opinion might be colored by your usage. If you don't use the feed, it's not valuable to you. It's valuable to me. As a frequent user of the profile feeds, I believe I've been very patient. This problem has dragged on for weeks and has gotten worse over time. After months, I'd like to know what's happening.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since it's taking so long I expect that this time they will really fix it instead of patching it up over and over again. That's my hope.

I am a feed user since about day one, or two. It's 99% about SL, not about politics or odd RL ramblings. You can select who you want to follow and ignore the odd balls. Sharing of pictures is fun, seeing pictures other have made is sometimes amazing. The adventures of Lo and Niko, I miss them dearly. My friendlist has grown thanks to the feed. It's more fluid as the forums, more selective as Twitter and Flickr. It's unique and I am addicted, as I can see the feed off-line and chat with people in the wrong timezones.

Today I received 99+ notifications. I still can't post yet on my feed, but I still can reply on existing posts. Because of the sudden 99+ notification I know something is being done. I have hopes :) and expect to see you all there again soon :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Myra Wildmist said:

What are the official statistics on feed usage? Do you know, Tari?

I'd say at least 15% of my friends use it regularly. That's just my friends, so I have no idea of the actual percentages. But I think it's significant enough that they should be fixing it as soon as possible.

While you might be satisfied with the fact that they're working on it, your opinion might be colored by your usage. If you don't use the feed, it's not valuable to you. It's valuable to me. As a frequent user of the profile feeds, I believe I've been very patient. This problem has dragged on for weeks and has gotten worse over time. After months, I'd like to know what's happening.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

Well I did actually ask some folks I know who use it more regularly, I had to find them to ask them lol (because, you are right, my opinion is completely clouded by my own usage, which I've already said, I have no problem admitting that). And the folks I talked to are content with the fact that LL has addressed that it's indeed a problem, and it's being worked on. So, that just reiterates, for me, what I'd previously thought(that if it were important for me, I'd be happy LL were communicating anything at all...but, again, I'm also used to no communication from them on important things, so some is a breath of fresh air, for me. But take that from someone who has participated in a feature of SL that has been...let's just say. challenging, for some years now, with particular features/changes/fixes that rarely to never get discussed or implemented and now it's far too late to implement most of them...I'm a  bit jaded on that front too, lol)

I don't think it's necessarily unreasonable, either, to expect communication...the level of communication is probably debatable, but like you said, depends a lot on how much someone depends on, uses, etc.. a certain feature. There's probably loads of them I don't use and really couldn't care less about, but others do..so I understand wanting communication, whether or not I'm the one that wants it. I'm not completely unreasonable about wanting it-I might be unreasonable about how *much* some people want, though-and I'll definitely admit that lol.  I guess I see it as a glass half full sort of thing...they're communicating, even if it's not sufficient for some folks' liking, it's better than none at all (which lots of us probably got used to over the years), or them simply removing a feature entirely-which would totally suck for folks that use it(and I would be unhappy for the folks that like this feature, if LL did that...not that I think they would..just, they could, and it would suck)

I really wasn't trying to downplay it as much as it sounded, and it probably did. I guess I'm more surprised they're addressing it at all...and little things like even some* communication make me happy-compared to past experiences of little to none at all. I give LL props on saying anything at all and not letting it fester even further(seriously, look at the JIRAs, you'll likely find lots of them that have sat for years, with barely any info from LL..so, yeah I def give them props on addressing this one, lol).

I do remember the feeds had issues before though, I wasn't as mistaken on that as I thought(that's from another thread, lol). It was having one heck of a time with uploaded photos for a while there with them either not uploading(but saying they were processing, or something to that effect) or taking ages and ages to actually upload (quite a while ago now, I'd have to search to find it again, but I'm sure it's here). So, I think the feeds have been problematic far longer than they've been functional-which may be part of the problem-I don't know, since LL hasn't said *what the problem is, yet. It might also contribute to how little they're used(after too many issues people stop using things, after all, even once they're working again). And no I don't have actual stats, all any of us have is anecdotal evidence, at best..and mine(along with folks I did ask) suggests they're hardly used, while that of those who use them would likely say different. Just different perspectives on that front, I think. I don't think LL would give us those stats either, but they would be interesting. I'd much rather find out it's a feature more folks use than be right and find out it's barely used(because the former would suggest that is *why it's not been fixed, whereas the latter would suggest it's likely a bigger problem than LL thought-make sense?) 

I should shush on this issue now though. Hopefully Ll fix the feeds for those that need/want them, and sooner rather than later :D 

 

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Myra Wildmist said:

I'd say at least 15% of my friends use it regularly. That's just my friends, so I have no idea of the actual percentages. But I think it's significant enough that they should be fixing it as soon as possible.

I used to use it regularly but even apart from the recent problems it's been way too unreliable for a long time. So I gave up.

I will begin using it again if/when it becomes reliable enough.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Tommy Linden said:

. Can I give you anything beyond that?

 

17 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Maybe that Spice Girls CD?  ;)

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Vick Forcella said:

Since it's taking so long I expect that this time they will really fix it instead of patching it up over and over again. That's my hope.

I am a feed user since about day one, or two. It's 99% about SL, not about politics or odd RL ramblings. You can select who you want to follow and ignore the odd balls. Sharing of pictures is fun, seeing pictures other have made is sometimes amazing. The adventures of Lo and Niko, I miss them dearly. My friendlist has grown thanks to the feed. It's more fluid as the forums, more selective as Twitter and Flickr. It's unique and I am addicted, as I can see the feed off-line and chat with people in the wrong timezones.

Today I received 99+ notifications. I still can't post yet on my feed, but I still can reply on existing posts. Because of the sudden 99+ notification I know something is being done. I have hopes :) and expect to see you all there again soon :)

Very positive message and sentiment. Thank you, Vick.

I got 99+ notifications, too. I was happy to see any sign of progress.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Myra Wildmist said:

(...)

I got 99+ notifications, too. I was happy to see any sign of progress.

Yes, I got this too. But I don't read it as a sign of progress.

I read that, when a LL employee says "we're working on it, please be patient" then they're actually working on it.

All the Feed problems are back live, that's true but actually, I suspect that things are now worse on the website side.

Edited by Morgan Rosenstar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

Yes, I got this too. But I don't read it as a sign of progress.

I can't even open profiles today, I read that as a sign of progress, obviously they've taken the whole thing down to give it a throrough cleaning and it'll be back soon, all nice and shiny.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

I can't even open profiles today, I read that as a sign of progress, obviously they've taken the whole thing down to give it a throrough cleaning and it'll be back soon, all nice and shiny.

I can get to mine, but it took a couple of minutes to load the page - unlike an hour ago when it popped right up.

I read in another page that some folks are starting to see things that were sent to the profile over a week ago, so apparently they are now processing all of the backlog.  Still no clue whether current uploads will work after it is caught up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My profile feed working well but still its  slow. Cant see recent activity on own profile feed only in trending i can see latest pics . But i am happy to see new pics and posts after 9 days ?  Hugss to all ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something is definitely going on. I'm getting photos on my feed, now, that had "failed." It's a very encouraging sign.

Thank you, LL, for looking into this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Monday everyone!  We continue to actively work on the profiles outage and snapshot uploading issues.  You should be seeing some improvements already, but there are several issues and we’re going to be working through them in the coming days. Thank you again for your patience!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alexa Linden said:

Happy Monday everyone!  We continue to actively work on the profiles outage and snapshot uploading issues.  You should be seeing some improvements already, but there are several issues and we’re going to be working through them in the coming days. Thank you again for your patience!

I wasn't able to post a photo, today, but I'm happy you're working on it. Thank you so much, Alexa. <3

Edited by Myra Wildmist
typo fix
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2017 at 1:42 PM, Alexa Linden said:

Happy Monday everyone!  We continue to actively work on the profiles outage and snapshot uploading issues.  You should be seeing some improvements already, but there are several issues and we’re going to be working through them in the coming days. Thank you again for your patience!

Hi, Alexa. The feed is incredibly responsive and reliable, now. I was overloading it with photos, today. They all posted and very fast, too. Thank you!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Myra Wildmist said:

Hi, Alexa. The feed is incredibly responsive and reliable, now. I was overloading it with photos, today. They all posted and very fast, too. Thank you!!!

Lucky you, I can not even post a text on my own Feed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

Lucky you, I can not even post a text on my own Feed.

Ugh. I'm sorry, Morgan. Well, at least it seems it's being worked on. Maybe it will be good for everyone, soon.

Edited by Myra Wildmist
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Myra Wildmist said:

Ugh. I'm sorry, Morgan. Well, at least it seems it's being worked. Maybe it will be good for everyone, soon.

I really hope they've not yet stopped working on the Feed at the 1st signs of responsiveness because nothing is fixed at all.

Some can post and some can not post. Yeah back to the previous broken state, no changes, no fix yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2017 at 11:12 AM, Morgan Rosenstar said:

I really hope they've not yet stopped working on the Feed at the 1st signs of responsiveness because nothing is fixed at all.

Some can post and some can not post. Yeah back to the previous broken state, no changes, no fix yet.

I still cant post snapshots to it... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I still cant post snapshots to it... 

 

I guess their working on it, Drake. I like to think so, anyway. The feed has gone from completely unusable for all to unusable for some and unreliable for most. So some progress, but it brings us back to my original point  - How about a little explanation? What's going on?

I want to believe they'll get it fixed and soon. I also want to believe everyone I like won't die in GoT.

PS It's broken for me, today, too.

Edited by Myra Wildmist
Added PS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look at https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-134078 you will see it has been accepted, that Linden Lab has transported the bug to WENG-3984' and that it is NOT closed.

We, feed addicts, have observed a purge of backlog and a slow restart of a somewhat functioning feed, but it is slow and still unreliable.

It is my guess that this time Linden Lab won't be happy with a temporary fix, as so many times before, but a true working and reliable feed. Imagine that my.secondlife.com could also be implemented as my.sansar.com..... Watch the Jira and wait for it to be closed.

Good feeding times ahead.

(some fingercrossing is advised)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...