Dear LL, please fix the profile feeds

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Everyone

I do miss sl feed and i just want the feed back . I use sl facebook too but sl feed is sl feed :)  there are many peoples who love sl feed and now its been long time sl feed is down , I hope LL hear us , please  fix the profile feed ?

Edited by seema001
  • Like 4

I am desperate. Missing the feed, sharing my amazing pictures, witty and wise comments, and some nonsense too. Tommy can you hear me? Please ^100 fix the feed.

Oh a few feed addicts have found one small corner to share stuffs, you can tag along if you wanna, and if Crys allows. https://my.secondlife.com/criiiistal/snapshots/5979eebed9859c212f000001

I assume LL is trying to fix the feed in a more permanent way compared with the forever-patching that was the practice so far. Oh, and Tommy, let Gridstatus show the status please! It's annoying to see that my.secondlife.com is functional while it isn't. It even has reported three times or more that is was fixed. Bad Gridstatus! *kicks Gridstatus*

If you fix the feed I promise to be nice and sweet and so. Perhaps even more.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tommy Linden said:

Hello!

I have been following this thread, and while the team that works on it is well aware, I have also passed along the link directly to this thread as well, so they are doubly aware. Can I give you anything beyond that? Unfortunately not. I can tell you though, we hear you.

Thank you so much for letting us know you're aware of the feed and for passing along the link to it. It does mean a lot. While you can't give me "anything beyond that..." it is nice to have a response. Thank you, Tommy.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Maybe that Spice Girls CD?  ;)

Is that what he listens to?

Hard to believe but Whirly knows such things.

Oh and btw, Tommy, I understand the coffee problem. You better keep those 4 or 8 cups yourself and maybe brew some more too. We want our moderators to be awake and alert.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Alexa Linden has now updated the JIRA issue HERE

UN1yq1QTQPy-hCUWDPK9Sw.png

Thank you, Whirly. I know you work hard on these things. It's greatly appreciated.

That's pretty much the same response I got on the JiRA I submitted in June. I'll quote it below:

Whirly Fizzle added a comment - 28/Jun/17 11:32 AM

Hiya Myra,

There's a known problem causing posting snapshots to the profile feed to sometimes fail.
There's a bug for this filed at
BUG-100516.

BUG-100516 has been imported & LL are working on a fix. I have no idea how long until the fix is deployed though.

I think the SL feed community has been patient. Do we have a choice?

This is a significant problem which has dragged on for months. In effect, we have a feature of SL that is failing/failed but isn't being fixed. However, for months we've been told it's being worked on but the problem has actually gotten worse. We went from occasionally not being able to post photos to not being able to post photos at all and sometimes not even able to write a simple post.

Maybe let us know or give us some hint why this is taking so long. It's not a lot to ask for in my opinion. If LL is busy doing other more important things with SL, we can accept that, too. Just say something. (I know you personally are constrained by whoever your boss is and directives from higher ups.)

The message "it's being worked on, thank you for your patience," loses it's vigor after a couple of months, though.

This isn't directed at you, though, Whirly. You've always seemed to be open and informative, as much as you can. That's greatly appreciated. Maybe go kick your bosses. : )

Thank you for your effort on this.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Not me but I always mean too. ;)

If you're curious, I use it - used it - to post photos and keep track of what my friends are up to, plus I'd follow people who were outside my circle of friends. Including the Russian cliques. :D

The feed has a lot of benefits for me.

For instance, I like reading some of the SL blogs. It is (was) actually a lot easier to follow them through the SL feed than to follow them through WP or blogger or whatever and have to check my email. Many of the bloggers I follow post (posted) to the feed - e.g. Strawberry Singh and Ziki Questi. Plus it was a great way to follow photographers I wasn't friends with and weren't on Flickr. A lot of people post (posted) their images to the feed who aren't on Flickr.

I get that it's not useful for everyone, but for me - and others - it was a valuable, useful feature that added a welcome social experience to my SL. It's a loss to not have it working.

If it ever gets working, again, you should use it more. I'll be sure to follow you. :)

Edited by Myra Wildmist
grammar
  • Like 2

This is kinda in line with why I said their communication isn't likely yo get any better than it's always been.  Even when they communicate, it's still rarely ever enough...and in some ways, I can't say I blame them. Sometimes it truly is better to say nothing at all, because they're going to get the very same response whether they do, or they don't lol.

"We hear you, we're working on it..and that's about all we can tell you" will continue to get responses like "you already told us that". It's just a cyclical conversation, lol.(and probably way more frustrating on both ends than it needs to be)

Some people seem to think they're flat out ignoring the issue...but hey're not, and haven't been, and as frustrating as it might be for people that like the feeds...ya kinda have to accept the "we heard you, we're working on it".  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vick Forcella said:

I am desperate. Missing the feed, sharing my amazing pictures, witty and wise comments, and some nonsense too. Tommy can you hear me? Please ^100 fix the feed.

Oh a few feed addicts have found one small corner to share stuffs, you can tag along if you wanna, and if Crys allows. https://my.secondlife.com/criiiistal/snapshots/5979eebed9859c212f000001

I assume LL is trying to fix the feed in a more permanent way compared with the forever-patching that was the practice so far. Oh, and Tommy, let Gridstatus show the status please! It's annoying to see that my.secondlife.com is functional while it isn't. It even has reported three times or more that is was fixed. Bad Gridstatus! *kicks Gridstatus*

If you fix the feed I promise to be nice and sweet and so. Perhaps even more.

Haha Vick , I m desperate too and missing everything like Forrestchild's snapshots , Hippis Post and many followers photos . Just hoping they will fix profile feed soon ...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Myra Wildmist said:

If you're curious, I use it - used it - to post photos and keep track of what my friends are up to, plus I'd follow people who were outside my circle of friends. Including the Russian cliques. :D

The feed has a lot of benefits for me.

For instance, I like reading some of the SL blogs. It is (was) actually a lot easier to follow them through the SL feed than to follow them through WP or blogger or whatever and have to check my email. Many of the bloggers I follow post (posted) to the feed - e.g. Strawberry Singh and Ziki Questi. Plus it was a great way to follow photographers I wasn't friends with and weren't on Flickr. A lot of people post (posted) their images to the feed who aren't on Flickr.

I get that it's not useful for everyone, but for me - and others - it was a valuable, useful feature that added a welcome social experience to my SL. It's a loss to not have it working.

If it ever gets working, again, you should use it more. I'll be sure to follow you. :)

I miss your photos too Myra on feed :( Just hoping they will fix the feed problem asap , I have faith in LL

• Like 1

On 8/4/2017 at 3:41 AM, Myra Wildmist said:

HI, Whirly, looks like I can't view that JIRA. If you can see this comment from Kyle, would you quote it here, please?

Please see my comments about communicating with the community. It's an issue that's affecting a lot of people, but we don't know what's going on. I wish you luck fixing the problem. My big issue on this is that it's a problem that's been going on for a long time with little indication from LL about what's happening with it.

I think JIRA is closed for public view bcoz i cant see any comment thr  :(

On 8/4/2017 at 1:08 AM, Myra Wildmist said:

I get that, and I'm sure Whirley is great. But, again, to the major issue - lack of communication from LL.

The people I've talked to have said nothing more than we know it's a problem, we're working on it. After weeks, months, people need an update. I do. What's going on? Why is the problem taking so long? Defuse community frustration with a little openness.

I really dont know why they taking too long time for solving this feed problem , its been 8 days now  ?? , We all missing profile feed

• Like 1

I discovered SL Feed 4 years ago, accidentally when I was updating my profile and then... oh? what's that? a Feed?...

Since then, I liked to use. I liked to be able to snapshot ingame and to post 'outgame' and share my explorations, my online activities with every and any SLers. I liked that SL Feed had this "Instagram-for-SL" feeling. I've nothing against FB, Flickr, Instagram etc but SL Feed was specific and designed to and for SL.

Then there's the community. People on SL Feed are usually social because we all share one thing in common there and its name is Second Life, which is not an unanimous common field on other social medias. This is also what I liked about the Feed.

On the Feed, I didn't needed to look after SLers, like on other social medias. All of them were SLers.

I hope that nowadays, most people learnt that numbers are a wonderful tool to justify everything and very often anything. So...

While SL Feed might be used by less than 1% of users, on the other hand the Feed is a feature available to 100% of users. So I hope that LL will consider that a feature which doesn't work for 100% of SLers is a more important number that only less than 1% of users are actively using the Feed.

• Like 3

I looked at the JIRA issue; an issue was opened on the internal side Monday morning. I didn't attempt to go there -- if I do have access then they didn't set things up right. Obviously this isn't a simple fix, or it would've been fixed by now. I suspect the only status you can get at this point is "we're working on it", probably right up until they've got it fixed. There's nothing to be gained by complaining.

@Morgan Rosenstar A software feature which is used by less than 1% of the users won't get more attention because it's available to all. If 99% of users ignore it, then some companies would consider removing the feature rather than fixing it. LL is trying to fix it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

I hope that nowadays, most people learnt that numbers are a wonderful tool to justify everything and very often anything. So...

While SL Feed might be used by less than 1% of users, on the other hand the Feed is a feature available to 100% of users. So I hope that LL will consider that a feature which doesn't work for 100% of SLers is a more important number that only less than 1% of users are actively using the Feed.

This might be semantics(well, to some) but you just negated your own statement here.

A feature *not* utilized by 99% of the users(that's a random made up number here since I don't think anyone outside of LL knows the actual use of the feeds, lol), regardless of it's availability, is not going to be prioritized over a feature available to the same number, but utilized by a larger number. Make sense? I can put it a different way....if the front door on my building is used by 75% of my guests, and the side door is used by 25% of my guests, but both doors are available to anyone at any time...and both doors break..which one will I fix first? It won't be the side door, which is more convenient for people that like to use that one, it will be the door *used* the most..regardless of the fact that anyone can use any door. If the numbers were reversed, it would be the side door..still the door used the most. 

LL has said they're working on it though, and I'm sure they are. :) 

21 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

This might be semantics(well, to some) but you just negated your own statement here.

A feature *not* utilized by 99% of the users(that's a random made up number here since I don't think anyone outside of LL knows the actual use of the feeds, lol), regardless of it's availability, is not going to be prioritized over a feature available to the same number, but utilized by a larger number. Make sense? I can put it a different way....if the front door on my building is used by 75% of my guests, and the side door is used by 25% of my guests, but both doors are available to anyone at any time...and both doors break..which one will I fix first? It won't be the side door, which is more convenient for people that like to use that one, it will be the door *used* the most..regardless of the fact that anyone can use any door. If the numbers were reversed, it would be the side door..still the door used the most. 

LL has said they're working on it though, and I'm sure they are. :) 

If the side door stops to work for all users, wouldn't you ask for it to be fixed? I made no mention about a front door because I know no comparable SL feature to the Feed so I don't think there's anything else that can have a comparable priority... or were you refering to the bug reports about the other features on SL profiles (friendlist broken, profile picture not updating, etc...)?

"LL has said they're working on it though" Yes but it's not the question.

I've an analogy for you too :

"-Hello, what time is it?

-We're working on it, please be patient."

:)

Edited by Morgan Rosenstar
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

If the side door stops to work for all users, wouldn't you ask for it to be fixed? I made no mention about a front door because I know no comparable SL feature to the Feed so I don't think there's anything else that can have a comparable priority... or were you refering to the bug reports about the other features on SL profiles (friendlist broken, profile picture not updating, etc...)?

"LL has said they're working on it though" Yes but it's not the question.

I've an analogy for you too :

"-Hello, what time is it?

-We're working on it, please be patient."

:)

Your analogy isn't actually an analogy..it's simply not answering the question.

LL has said they are aware and are working on fixing it...how precisely does that not address the issue at hand?

Your reply about my door analogy also makes absolutely no sense. You are mistaking availability for usage. I don't know if it's a language barrier, or what, but it makes no sense. Just because something is available, doesn't mean it is used. Usage matters when prioritizing issues. If less users use feature A, but both feature A and feature B are broken..which feature gets more attention? (same question, different words, and the answer is..."whichever feature is used most")

The features don't have to be comparable in function to be prioritized.

I guess "we realize this is a problem and we are doing our best to work on the issue" just isn't enough for some folks, I can't sympathize with that, I really can't. Not when LL has had much worse communication about much bigger problems. This is more communication than they've offered in a long time...and it's still not enough for some people. <shrugs>  I'm not their biggest fan, but if i were them, I'd probably feel like banging my head against a wall with some of these comments, lol. 

If the feeds were that important to me, I'd be happy they were looking into it and working on the problem...not complaining they aren't moving fast enough. They could, after all, remove the feature entirely(as is most commonplace when something gets such little use) 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.