Vindictii

Object IDs/keys: Do they change?

I seem to recall reading that objects have two IDs: asset ID and an instance ID. It was my impression that the asset ID is fixed and never changes while the instance ID exists only while the object is rezzed (place in world, worn on character as gear or attached as a HUD). Is this accurate? Is the asset ID permanent? Can the asset's ID be used to identify the object when it is rezzed or is only the instance ID valid at that time? 

The only UUID we ever see is associated with a rezzed object, and that unique UUID is assigned to that particular instance. There is obviously a file in the asset servers that defines each object, but it does not have an identifier that we can access.  As far as we are concerned, it does not exist.

We will soon have scripted access to an object's (link's) creation time. These times are stored in full ISO-8601 (YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.SSSSSSZ) format and are unchangeable. There are only two occasions when these times are created, with raw material creation, such as rezzing a cube, sphere, torus through the build menu and with mesh uploading. I have yet to see duplicates with either means.

This will be the best universal identifier possible in and out of your inventory.

Once access is grid wide, I encourage creators to start referencing these times in their mod products, especially mesh products that use texture appliers or products that have scripts that reset and check if they are in the original host object/link or not. In mod environments, this identifier will be more resilient than relying on object names, desc, link numbers or settext which might need to be changed by the end user, especially in full-perm products meant to be modded and resold with lesser permissions.

• Like 6