https://www.lindenlab.com/releases/sansar-creator-beta-opens

"Sansar is free to use, with additional capacity and customer support available to creators through paid subscriptions, starting at $9.99/month."

What does additional capacity mean? Gotta check their Forum I guess.

"In the future, creators will also be able to sell, rent, or charge for access to their experiences."

Why would anyone, an individual user, pay to rent when you can have space simply by logging in?

And from the paragraph regarding TurboSquid and Stemcell you should be able to buy the requisite building materials to build your experience without knowing how to actually use Blender or Maya  whatever, yourself. 

I think I saw somewhere as well (Prok) that the MP isn't 100% available yet but I may be wrong at this writing as I haven't checked it myself today.

Edited by Derek Torvalar

1 hour ago, Derek Torvalar said:

But as Ebbe says, social VR is not about how your avatar looks it is about the shared experience.

Let's put it like this: I played a lot (like 2500+ hours) of ArmA 3, especially Altis Life. In the base game without any extra mods, there aren't any female characters to choose.

Shared roleplay experience all fine and dandy, but all other female players I've met and myself always tried our best to put as many female characteristics as possible to our characters, like a high pitched autovoice, the softest faces available, disguising pieces of clothing, big glasses, hats ... and yet it still was a rather awkward customization. 

2 hours ago, Phoebe Avro said:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 450 or greater w/ 2GB dedicated video memory, AMD R9 280 or greater w/ 2GB dedicated video memory, Intel HD Graphics 5500 w/ 2GB dedicated memory

Whoever had that outstandingly ... errr... "special" idea to put a R9 280 on the same par as a GTX 450, let alone mention it in the same breath of some integrated graphics substitute, for minimum requirements ... well, I'm actually out of words to describe such stupidity. Sorry for the insult, but please never let that person do anything hardware-related again.

Anyway. So far, I've watched a couple of videos and bits of livestreams, after not caring or looking at that project before ... and all I can think of is "hey, it's Blue Mars 2.0!".
Maybe a personal try will change that impression, but so far, I seriously doubt it.

I give up, loaded Sansar onto my old laptop got in in like 30 seconds, it has the same anti virus softare as my pc but not the antimaleware, so i uninstall that from my main pc and the av and do a clean of the using ccleaner registy etc reboot install sansar yet again and it fails to load an experience it must be my hardware i don't like so i give up......I can spare no more wasted time on this. after 3 months of nothing

4 hours ago, ChinRey said:

God point. It'll be a relief to get that misunderstanding cleared up.

Over the years we've seen Cloud Party, Blue Mars, Unity, Unreal Engine and High Fidelity, just to mention a few. Sansar is far more similar to any of those five than it is to Second Life and none of them had any significant impact on SL. I can't imagine Sansar will either.

Uh, Unity and Unreal are both gaming design engines...not virtual worlds in any way, shape, or form.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Let's put it like this: I played a lot (like 2500+ hours) of ArmA 3, especially Altis Life. In the base game without any extra mods, there aren't any female characters to choose.

Shared roleplay experience all fine and dandy, but all other female players I've met and myself always tried our best to put as many female characteristics as possible to our characters, like a high pitched autovoice, the softest faces available, disguising pieces of clothing, big glasses, hats ... and yet it still was a rather awkward customization. 

I better qualify my statement. It wasn't actually Ebbe who said that but someone who he retweeted and he 'liked' said that. Though he may have similar thoughts based on the retweet and 'like'.

But I am with you Lillith. They better do something with the avatars there right quick cos they is ugly! lol

I'm having trouble even installing Sansar in the first place, since the installer (for some reason) explicitly checks whether the computer meets the minimum requirements and absolutely refuses to let you proceed if it doesn't.

Now, that wouldn't be an issue if it worked properly. I'm being told my CPU (i5-3570k) isn't good enough when the minimum requirement is i3-2100.

Anybody have any clues? I've sent a ticket to support but the first reply didn't help and I'm waiting for another reply.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

17 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I'm having trouble even installing Sansar in the first place, since the installer (for some reason) explicitly checks whether the computer meets the minimum requirements and absolutely refuses to let you proceed if it doesn't.

Now, that wouldn't be an issue if it worked properly. I'm being told my CPU (i5-3570k) isn't good enough when the minimum requirement is i3-2100.

Anybody have any clues? I've sent a ticket to support but the first reply didn't help and I'm waiting for another reply.

lol i tried my old laptop that has a GT 640M nvida and an i7 i forget what i7 but its over 5 years old that goes in in 30 seconds flat

my high spec gaming pc can't log in same os etc it just crashes

Edited by Phoebe Avro

1 hour ago, Chrismaky said:

Uh, Unity and Unreal are both gaming design engines...not virtual worlds in any way, shape, or form.

Exactly. That's essentially what Sansar is too, not a virtual world itself but a set of tools for you to build a virtual reality. What sets it a apart from Unity and Unreal is that it's online and comes packaged with a number of auxillary services like a hosting package, a ready made in-game money system, a shared user database and a navigable online catalog listing all available simulations.

The big question now is what will people use the sansar engine for? that remains to be seen.

Edited by ChinRey

Thanks for sharing your initial impressions to all those who logged in already. So far these experiences sound very passive. 5-minutes to load an experience sounds pretty terrible. I wonder if a SSD would help lower that time substantially because that could get old really quick!

@Derek Torvalarif you can think of a way to get your brothel in there, well then, you might have just created the first hot-spot in Sansar lmao.

Edited by Chase01
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chase01 said:

Thanks for sharing your initial impressions to all those who logged in already. So far these experiences sound very passive. 5-minutes to load an experience sounds pretty terrible. I wonder if a SSD would help lower that time substantially because that could get old really quick!

@Derek Torvalarif you can think of a way to get your brothel in there, well then, you might have just created the first hot-spot in Sansar lmao.

One of my friends with his gaming pc took 25 mins, my old backup laptop took 30 seconds to log in to an expeirence. ssd would make no dif its hit or miss

6 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

And I saw Apple Fall sell all his stock at fire-sale prices for a week ($25-$75) and indicate that he will have a store in Sansar.

I enjoyed reading your take on your Sansar experience but I went over to Apple Fall just now and prices seem the same. I saw nothing (and I moused over a lot) in the $25- $75 price range. So maybe this is only SOME items. Maybe it is an "urban legend". 

More info on where you heard this or where the "event" is would be appreciate. I don't plan to buy, but I like to look :D.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Phoebe Avro said:

One of my friends with his gaming pc took 25 mins, my old backup laptop took 30 seconds to log in to an expeirence. ssd would make no dif its hit or miss

It depends a lot on how complex the experience is

@Chic Aeon, no it's no urban legend at all. Apple Fall had a sale for like 4 days last week, indeed with those low prices, you simply missed it. Ask him. He announced it in groups and words spread -- I announced it in my groups. It was so mobbed he added a cam sim. It was everything in the store. Now it's over, sorry. He says sales have not been harmed by this fire sale and that his Sansar store isn't open yet but he plans one.

OK so when a merchant in SL (Potomac Homes) explained to me that inworld buying isn't enabled yet, and you have to "just know" that there's a site called store.sansar.com, where you buy stuff, and then it automagically goes into your inventory (which you can't sort yet), I came back to try to work it.

So loading up those experiences does take awhile but I wouldn't say five minutes, more like one. 

I bought US $10 worth of stuff which did not get me much as you can see if you visit "Flamingo Court" by "Dyerbrook" -- my experience and name in Sansar. So stuff is way more expensive, i.e. a cabin US $5.00 instead of say US $3.00 in SL. This will change as there is more competition. Some people have put up freebies like well-known merchants, i.e. Draxtor, Reid Perkins, etc.

It was hella hard trying to place the items in the scene. That's because you can't go 360 degrees or even 180 degrees around the scene -- your avatar can do that, but in "edit" mode you are without your avatar, like the Sims Online, not Second Life. Maybe there is a way to cam around 360, but I just couldn't find it.

You struggle and struggle and STRUGGLE with the little build/place thing. Yes, it has the XYZ grid arrows and colours like SL. But you can't move it easily. It seems IMPOSSIBLE to move it TOWARDS you. It either expands or shrinks. You can't grab it quite right. 

So you struggle to lever those items into place and you can't tell if they ARE in place til you come back as your avatar and go around and then you find houses are up too high, rocks are stuck in them, books float from the table etc.

Maybe there's some way to avoid this, haven't learned it yet.

You cannot sit down in Sansar.

Easily enough I added cricket sounds to my scene so that was nice. I had seen the media URL menu, then lost it, can't find it, you know how it is with new games.

I was baffled why nothing "took" when I saved the new scene. But that's because you have to "just know" to ALSO hit BUILD and wait a VERY long time (here's where the five minutes happened for me).

THEN finally you visit and it's there.

Well, this has been a tiring experience. Reminds me of other worlds visited seldom -- Google's Lively, Raph Koster's world (what was it called again?), etc. I went to visit a few other people's lots and they were pretty and all and I could see "what to buy" but then, I can't sit down. That's a drag. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva

Does anyone know if this is how Sansar is going to be for all time?

The client JUST came out for beta. Simmer down, people. New features are going to be added most likely .

So far I'm loving how it runs and looks, but the system requirements are crazy for the average-Joe.

P.S: Does anyone know how to run?

1 hour ago, JPG0809 said:

P.S: Does anyone know how to run?

From what I gather you can only walk. No running or jumping, which, if that's true, is kind of a bummer.

There is a teleport function though, but I don't know how to use it since I haven't been able to install the client yet.

I gave it a go for about 20 minutes yesterday and, without detailing bits 'n' bobs, I wasn't impressed. No doubt it takes some getting used to, and perhaps it'll have more appeal then. But I haven't got used to it, and my initial inclination is not to bother - not until it gets plenty of glowing reports, anyway. Maybe with a VR headset it might have been a lot better, but I'm not interested in forking out for one of those until I see good reports on something that make me want to get one. As it is right now, I have no desire at all to go back. Or maybe I'll go back just to confirm my first unimpression.

Edited by Phil Deakins

6 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Exactly. That's essentially what Sansar is too, not a virtual world itself but a set of tools for you to build a virtual reality. What sets it a apart from Unity and Unreal is that it's online and comes packaged with a number of auxillary services like a hosting package, a ready made in-game money system, a shared user database and a navigable online catalog listing all available simulations.

The big question now is what will people use the sansar engine for? that remains to be seen.

Sansar is in no way, shape, or form, a game design engine.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chrismaky said:

Interesting.

Can you explain what the difference is? I know I'm not the only one who got that wrong.

Edited by ChinRey

18 minutes ago, Chrismaky said:

Explain please. Perhaps you mean that it's a '3D environment design engine' rather than full-blown game design engine. I'd go along with that, if it's what you mean.

Incidentally, ChinRey didn't say that Sansar is a "game design engine". She said that it has an "in-game money system". Huge difference.

Edited by Phil Deakins

1 minute ago, ChinRey said:

Interesting.

Can you explain what the difference is? I know I'm not the only one who got that wrong.

Really? Just look at at it. The whole thing is built to experience what other people build INSIDE the program. Meaning, you can't download what you create and sell it as a full blown game. As far as I can tell, you can't even get animations yet. You just...build something on a platform. Thats it. That is the entirety of Sansar. Also, its built around the concept of virtual reality. Something that isn't even mainstream yet. You really want to compare this to Injustice 2 which WAS built on Unreal?

• Like 1