4 minutes ago, Char Lemon said:

I've been invited to use Sansar a few months ago. The navigation is so weird, maybe because I am not a VR user yet. My aim there is to create, but I'm still not impressed yet. Maybe soon. And I am hoping that SL will always exist.

Btw, the thread is way too long, 8 pages and I haven't read all of it completely. 

I see that Maya users (Yes! Also Maya LT) will benefit from uploading to Sansar. It supports .fbx files! I don't know about .obj and .dae , though

https://help.sansar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002497143-Uploading-items-in-Sansar

.fbx

.cs

.wav. ambix ambix.wav

.exr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Char Lemon said:

Btw, the thread is way too long, 8 pages and I haven't read all of it completely.

And there's a few other threads on the subject for you enjoyment also. 

:SwingingFriends:

Was reading the Sansar API. Seriously, a "Cluster" is the Sansar term for linked objects? The API documentation looks WAY too geeked-out..and I'm a programmer!

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Was reading the Sansar API. Seriously, a "Cluster" is the Sansar term for linked objects? The API documentation looks WAY too geeked-out..and I'm a programmer!

I am not a scripter so can you perhpas elaborate on 'geeked out'. lol

The scripters I have spoken to have described the API in other terms.

14 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

I am not a scripter so can you perhpas elaborate on 'geeked out'. lol

The scripters I have spoken to have described the API in other terms.

Created and documented according to a very specific and detailed fashion which only a true "programming geek" would appreciate.

22 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

Also a little misleading. 

But such is the nature of the fawning, maudlin cheerleading press that get invited to these things.

Which parts did you find misleading? 

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Created and documented according to a very specific and detailed fashion which only a true "programming geek" would appreciate.

So unnecessarily dense or sophisticated.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Which parts did you find misleading? 

When I first saw that, and other articles claiming there were already "thousands of Experiences" and "thousands of items for sale on the MP" among other little things regarding potential and simplicity.

Just wasn't my experience being there.

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I don't suppose my words count for much in this but my best advice to Linden Lab is take it down for now. You got a lot of valuable feedback and data and that is good. But keeping Sansar live as it is now will ony interfere with the developing work and of course it's already a marketing disaster and won't get any better. Then rerelase it when it's ready and not before then.

Seems to me that the "marketing disaster" consists of a small subset of forum users, who are in turn a small set of Second Life users, who are in turn a miniscule subset of ANYTHING -- saying, "Nyah - I don't like it." Meanwhile, most of these same people were saying "Nyah - I won't like it" long before the beta was opened. And it's definitely reducing the volume of, "Nyah - they'll close Second Life when they open Sansar" threads.

The thing that really jumps out at me is the pricing model. It suggests to me that the fixed cost to the Lab for hosting any given Sansar experience is practically nothing, regardless of how big it is. Also, within each experience there isn't any concept of "land impact."

This is a complete revolution compared to the necessary pricing model of Second Life, or even Open Sim. It also means that if Sansar does "fail" it would be no worse for Linden Lab than the "failure" of Patterns. It reminds me of Antoine de Saint-Exupery describing a group of Bedouins who saw a European park with a waterfall for the first time. They were completely amazed and wondered, "Isn't it going to turn off? It's wasting all that water." The idea of limitless water was utterly mind-blowing for them.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

So unnecessarily dense or sophisticated.

Yet following a definite convention.  I found it was missing "See Also" and embedded links to referenced function.  Basically well-documented, but not easy to browse like the SL LSL wikis are.

12 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The thing that really jumps out at me is the pricing model. It suggests to me that the fixed cost to the Lab for hosting any given Sansar experience is practically nothing, regardless of how big it is. Also, within each experience there isn't any concept of "land impact."

The content for the experience is optimized prior to going online, so there's no need for land impact. Anything too complex will get optimized until it's OK. I'm still wondering about avatars -- my guess is Sansar won't allow the insanely complex avatars people come up with in SL.

I read something on the Sansar forum that confirmed what I'd heard awhile ago. Not only can experience owners make people register to get into their experience, they can also specify the avatars that will be used. Now I finally have a reason to set up an experience. I'm going to make everyone use just one avatar - a penguin. :D

• Like 4

Was reading the Sansar scripting posts (over at the Sansar forum) and someone asked "What is the equivalent of the default LSL script in C#?"

The answer was, "Sorry but there is no 'touch' in Sansar".

So much I read over there leads me to believe that the API is not even close to being done.

I guess "early adopters" get to learn without the added baggage of doing useful stuff (like rezzing objects or handling touches).

:ph34r:O.o

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

The content for the experience is optimized prior to going online, so there's no need for land impact. Anything too complex will get optimized until it's OK. I'm still wondering about avatars -- my guess is Sansar won't allow the insanely complex avatars people come up with in SL.

Not quite. Anything is optimized as far as an automatic optimisation algorithm can take it. How far that is, depends.

But unlike in Second Life, Linden Lab does not take responsibility for the performance of a Sansar experience so they don't need any tool to control it. If somebody makes an uber complex Sansar experience and complains about poor performance, all Linden Lab needs to tell the experience owner is "Sorry, that's your responisibility and your problem". They'll say it a nicer way than that of course and will probably even offer some good advice how to fix it but that is essence of it.

It will be interesting to see what happens when people finally figure out the relationship between experience complexity and load time though...

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Seems to me that the "marketing disaster" consists of a small subset of forum users, who are in turn a small set of Second Life users, who are in turn a miniscule subset of ANYTHING -- saying, "Nyah - I don't like it." Meanwhile, most of these same people were saying "Nyah - I won't like it" long before the beta was opened. And it's definitely reducing the volume of, "Nyah - they'll close Second Life when they open Sansar" threads.

I'm actually mainly concerned about the reaction in the Project Sansar group. That's the not-quite-official Sansar fan club in Second Life and the people there are certainly not naysayers in any way. I'm not going to refer to all the chat in the group the first few days of this week but two days ago I logged on and found that Soft Linden had joined the group for a Q&A. In the very first message I saw there somebody asked "is there anybody who has something nice to say about Sansar?" I have no idea what had happened in the group right before but it certainly summed up the dicussion the previous few days very well.

Anyway, that seems to be the end to it. Nobody answered and there were no positive remarks about Sansar during the time I watched the chat. But there weren't any negative ones either. It was all fctual and quite neutral questions and answers unti Soft stopped answering and the hole chat died out. Since then the group has been fairly quite, just the occasional discussion about practical Sansar building questions.

In the end the proof is in the pudding of course and we'll see how it turns out.

Signing out of this and all other Sansar discussions now (I hope).

Edited by ChinRey

6 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Signing out of this and all other Sansar discussions now (I hope).

nooo ChinRey...come back...:)

When do you think we'll get voxel terrain in Sansar?

56 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Was reading the Sansar scripting posts (over at the Sansar forum) and someone asked "What is the equivalent of the default LSL script in C#?"

The answer was, "Sorry but there is no 'touch' in Sansar".

So much I read over there leads me to believe that the API is not even close to being done.

I guess "early adopters" get to learn without the added baggage of doing useful stuff (like rezzing objects or handling touches).

:ph34r:O.o

The part bolded was the consensus opinion of the scripters I have spoken with. 

• Like 1

One lovely feature...you can log right into your workshop and create away without really being in the world. Hopefully even friends online can't even see I'm there. I like to be able to choose when I socialize, and this is something that has always bothered me in SL...the messages interrupting me when I'm trying to create.

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

nooo ChinRey...come back...:)

Thank you but I don't really have anything more to say and I'd rather spend my time and energy on this forum on SL related topics.

As I said in my first post, although the Sansar concept holds very little attraction to me personally, I honestly wish Sansar, Linden Lab and everybody interested in the project all the best. But writing off all the people who has taken the time to write very well thought out and reasoned posts about obvious flaws in Sansar as it today as "a small subset of forum users, who are in turn a small set of Second Life users, who are in turn a miniscule subset of ANYTHING -- saying, 'Nyah - I don't like it.'" is not only rude. It's also counterproductive and won't do anybody any good in the long run.

8 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Thank you but I don't really have anything more to say and I'd rather spend my time and energy on this forum on SL related topics.

As I said in my first post, although the Sansar concept holds very little attraction to me personally, I honestly wish Sansar, Linden Lab and everybody interested in the project all the best. But writing off all the people who has taken the time to write very well thought out and reasoned posts about obvious flaws in Sansar as it today as "a small subset of forum users, who are in turn a small set of Second Life users, who are in turn a miniscule subset of ANYTHING -- saying, 'Nyah - I don't like it.'" is not only rude. It's also counterproductive and won't do anybody any good in the long run.

More or less counterproductive than calling them a "marketing disaster"?

4 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

More or less counterproductive than calling them a "marketing disaster"?

More.

Fascinating: "

When too many people try to visit an experience at once, Sansar creates a new instance, or copy of the scene and sends new visitors to the new instance. This preserves performance by reducing overcrowding and limiting the number of complex avatars that must be shown on the screen at once. The scene is identical to the original instance, but you cannot see or interact with people who are not in the same instance as you."

This means that if you try to visit a popular experience with a friend and you end up in different instances, you will not be able to see your friend and may need to wait for some people to leave the original instance before trying to visit the experience again.

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Fascinating: "

When too many people try to visit an experience at once, Sansar creates a new instance, or copy of the scene and sends new visitors to the new instance. This preserves performance by reducing overcrowding and limiting the number of complex avatars that must be shown on the screen at once. The scene is identical to the original instance, but you cannot see or interact with people who are not in the same instance as you."

This means that if you try to visit a popular experience with a friend and you end up in different instances, you will not be able to see your friend and may need to wait for some people to leave the original instance before trying to visit the experience again.

I was talking with Torley about that on Sansar Forum.

I do not believe it is actually functional at this point because I saw some posts where people were saying that the Experience crashes when ~40 Avs show up.

And if you are attending an Office Hours say, and the magic number is hit and a new instance spawns you are on there by yourself and the Speaker or Presenter is on the original instance you get zilch.

ETA Although if the original Experience had media screens broadcasting the talk I suppose the new instance would also have those screens. Maybe. Shrugs.

Edited by Derek Torvalar