1 minute ago, Phoebe Avro said:

You can actually get in with a bit lower spec hardware than that. Not much though. I know quite a lot of approved early beta testers who couldn't log in because their computers weren't strong enough.

5 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

You can actually get in with a bit lower spec hardware than that. Not much though. I know quite a lot of approved early beta testers who couldn't log in because their computers weren't strong enough.

I got an invite about 3 months ago still have never been able to log in due to crashing, I worked with the support but gave up again.

It will be interesting to see how many others have similar problems now, I had a few people contact me in the last weeks saying they could not log in and kept crashing as I have.

Edited by Phoebe Avro

I have been logging in for a few weeks without a problem on my 5 year old laptop.  Only to wander about looking though

Edited by Cindy Evanier
I need food before I try to type

Think I'm gonna hold off until maybe the weekend to give it a try..

I'm just gonna look around anyways..

8 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I have been logging in for a few weeks without a problem on my 5 year old laptop.  Only to wander about looking though

mmmh I have a i7 laptop thats a few years old that i don't use now hardly with an Nvidia adaptor I could try that i guess then i can experiment and see if its the av or anti maleware i use that may be causing the problem, thanks for that.

Edited by Phoebe Avro
  • Like 1

just had a look, but really... if the loading times for average machines doesn't go up i'm affraid this will be a short adventure for me...

• Like 2

Now thats strange I have had an experience loading for almost 20 mins normaly they crash on me in under a minute and i have changend nothing on my pc so i am guessing it will load ^^

Edited by Phoebe Avro
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

just had a look, but really... if the loading times for average machines doesn't go up i'm affraid this will be a short adventure for me...

Well, it is what it is.

I'm sure many people will notice now that it isn't really ready yet and the unrealistically high hardware requirements is one of the many critical flaws they have to sort out fast if Sansar is to stand a chance at all.

I'm not sure why LL chose to go public with Sansar this early but most likely they didn't have any choice. They were already way behind schedule and people were loosing interest.

I suppose it's safe to talk about this on the forum now: I'm not sure how many here noticed Friday's incident when Linden Lab accidentally announced today's release three days too early. I've had great fun this weekend watching LL trying to cover up the slip and some mischievous individuals (who shall remain unnamed) joyfully spreading the word in any way the could think of. ^_^ It was actually wonderful entertainment but what really struck me, was how little interest there seemed to be among SL users in general. Even at the Project Sansar group. Those guys have been eagerly waiting for this moment to arise for years! Now, when they finally learned that it was going to happen... well, they talked about it for a few minutes and then the chat just kind'a drifted off.

So. It's too early because there are so many things not in place yet and at the same time it's too late because the newsworth did end. I hope things wil go up from here. Personally I lost interest the first time I saw Sansar but for all my complaints, I do kind'a like Linden Lab and the Lindens and I would hate to see their new baby disappoint them, For that reason I really, really hope Sansar will succeed. It's going to be tough though, very tough.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

I want people to get Sansar out of their sl system too many people in sl think Sansar is going to be sl2 roll on the open day! then we can go back to business as usual!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Phoebe Avro said:

I want people to get Sansar out of their sl system too many people in sl think Sansar is going to be sl2 roll on the open day! then we can go back to business as usual!

God point. It'll be a relief to get that misunderstanding cleared up.

Over the years we've seen Cloud Party, Blue Mars, Unity, Unreal Engine and High Fidelity, just to mention a few. Sansar is far more similar to any of those five than it is to Second Life and none of them had any significant impact on SL. I can't imagine Sansar will either.

Edited by ChinRey

46 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

unrealistically high hardware requirements

I wouldn't call middle of the road for current hardware "unrealistically high."  If you are talking about VR, what is unrealistic is expecting to play VR without VR capable hardware.

• Like 3

I spoke too soon after well over an hour loading I guess it was a silent crash I tried another few experienses and they all crashed within a few minutes.

Edited by Phoebe Avro

26 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I wouldn't call middle of the road for current hardware "unrealistically high."  If you are talking about VR, what is unrealistic is expecting to play VR without VR capable hardware.

Yeh the min hardware requirement for non vr desktop is quite low

64-bit Windows 7 SP1 or newer

DirectX 11 or higher

Intel Core i3-2100 / AMD Phenom II X4 945

4 gig ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 450 or greater w/ 2GB dedicated video memory, AMD R9 280 or greater w/ 2GB dedicated video memory, Intel HD Graphics 5500 w/ 2GB dedicated memory

10 Mbps recommended; 5 Mbps minimum

Recormend non vr desktop is:-

DirectX 11 or higher

Intel i5-4590 / AMD FX 8350 equivalent or greater

8 gig+ ram

GeForce GTX 760 or greater w/ 2 GB dedicated memory

Rest as above

Edited by Phoebe Avro

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

God point. It'll be a relief to get that misunderstanding cleared up.

Over the years we've seen Cloud Party, Blue Mars, Unity, Unreal Engine and High Fidelity, just to mention a few. Sansar is far more similar to any of those five than it is to Second Life and none of them had any significant impact on SL. I can't imagine Sansar will either.

I don't know if I will have the hardware chops for Sansar, I'll see, but I watch not the forums and the chatter from devs and Lindens but big players in the market. And I saw Apple Fall sell all his stock at fire-sale prices for a week ($25-$75) and indicate that he will have a store in Sansar. That's the sort of thing that makes me set my land to sale and/or not buy new land or content.

UPDATE:

So I managed to log on to Sansar although it took some time. First impressions: onboarding is very smooth and dirt simple, point and click to make and customize an avatar. To be sure, I couldn't figure out how to change or remove the bow-tie on the avatar I chose, but everything was pretty clear.

Then I selected Max Graf's place to go to, as he was a familiar name. There are lots of locations. It was a kind of Asian temple. You can walk all around and hear your steps thump. Moving the avatar is easy, but he doesn't seem to have any versatility but to walk on a grid line and not run (but maybe I didn't figure it out). The scene is very beautiful but you can't walk all the way into it, it hard-stops you like the end of the shore on a Second Life island.

One immediately frustrating thing for the legacy SL user is nothing is clickable. You can click and click and "nothing happens". You can't see an object's name or creator or anything. So that's hard to get used to.

You can easily make your own scene out of pre-made sets like "the Highlands". So I did that but of course couldn't get far because this isn't "anybody can create" but "devs can create". There is a menu with tons of incomprehensible terms on it. Just banging randomly on this menu, I could raise and lower the land -- and upset the rocks so that they hung in the air -- I could in theory add a music URL which I did but then couldn't hear it despite saving; I could buy things in theory and put them in the scene. It looked like I could do other things like put a teleporter (or spawn point?) into the scene and so on. But since I didn't understand them and so many of them seemed useless (like about lighting which I didn't care about), I couldn't "get a purchase" on this world.,

And speaking of purchases, it seemed easy to click on "Inventory" and then look where to upload things -- if you created them, which of course, I can't do, although maybe I'll find a stray wav or something I could upload from the Internet.

I'd have been happy to purchase something to plunk into the scene, but clicking around endlessly for 15 minutes, I couldn't figure out how to do that. I thought it wasn't turned on yet.

But then a merchant in SL where I'm in the VIP group sent out a group message saying they were waiting for us in Sansar where they had things in the store for us. Well, I'd have been happy to purchase a little cabin or flower or something but I couldn't see how to do that, so I've written to that merchant to put out a "baby steps" card if they want to make sales.

I don't need lectures about how this is in fact easy, obvious. I'm giving feedback about how it is not, and this for not just some ordinary user off the street, but someone hardened by virtual worlds play for 18 years, starting with the Sims Online, going through SL, There, Blue Mars, Google's...what was it called? Short-termed world. 

I would say this world reminded me somewhat of Blue Mars but the onboarding is easier and the avatars look better. I'm done with Sansar for now until I have a long weekend to try to learn it or until somebody puts out baby-steps for dummies.

Even so, the prospect of pasting items into my View-Master postcard -- which is what this feels like to me so far -- doesn't feel as "rich" or "deep" as my Second Life which seems to have more interactivity.

I'm trying to think how one could monetarize Sansar if you aren't a creator, as in SL, the land business enabled many people who aren't creators to monetarize SL and help it grow by leaps and bounds, making profits for the makers as well as themselves.

And until they put in paywalls for the experiences -- which I think people won't pay -- I can't see how it will work. Even there, I can't envision how you'd make rentals out of it with privacy, unless you made a whole series of separate instances or experiences into which you'd let people who paid your paywall. I don't see that it has white-listing ability yet so this can't work until that happens. I think ultimately in SL you'd need groups and group permissions to enable some people to upload content into your scene and keep out others and so on. Or maybe there is mechanically no way whatsoever you can allow other people to upload things into your scene, and you'll have to take orders for what to buy from tenants who might stiff you. So maybe escrow services will spring up as they did for a time in SL in the land business.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

Sansar is going to be a platform for mini vr worlds or bigish ones as far as I can see, in that respect it won't come close to what SL is, its going to be sort of a high spec version of os grid in a way where you have to log into an experience there will be no teleporting between experiences.

Edited by Phoebe Avro

1 minute ago, Derek Torvalar said:

You can jump between Experiences Phoebe. 

Though at this point it takes about 5 minutes or more to load each one.

Ohh ok lol shows my knowledge, I will shut up. What do you think about Sansar being a host for mini vr worlds?

Edited by Phoebe Avro

At this point there are ~50 such experiences in the Atlas. 

So you need to scroll a bit to see all that are available. In time as that number grows, well you get the idea. 

I heard someone voicing to someone else there and they were looking to find a way to get the person to their experience but couldn't put a link into chat for the person to use because they were using VR and there is no way to type or click links in chat using VR, which leads me to think that if you are using VR at this point there is no way to access the Atlas, which you can do by clicking a button in the viewer to bring it up on screen in regular viewing mode, to jump to a different Experience. So you would need to switch from VR mode to regular mode.

Edited by Derek Torvalar

This is one of the 3 or 4 supplied templates for land in your experience called Highlands.

Derek's.png

And yes that is me. lol

But as Ebbe says, social VR is not about how your avatar looks it is about the shared experience.

When I get my brothel open there will be a lot of sharing of experiences. lol

Edited by Derek Torvalar
  • Like 3

Derek do you have any experience of not being able to log in to an experience? I got my invite several months ago and still have not been able to log in I have worked through several things with the support my pc spec is ok and net etc.

When I first tried to login it wouldn't let me install Sansar because the installer was saying I didn't have Dx 11 or better graphics card, which was nonsense as I am running GTX 1080 SLi. And I contacted support but about 12 hours later it seemed to fix itself and did install just fine. But since then no trouble getting in except for the long log in time to an experience which seems to be real long when first getting in like 15 minutes but then jumping between experiences once you are in is a little shorter about 5-10 minutes.

So to answer your question specifically, no trouble at this point.

Though after leaving today I did need to restart my computer because Chrome seemed to be stuck and wouldn't let me change websites.

ETA just saw your question about it being a host for mini VR worlds.

In time. A long time. But is of really no interest to me, VR that is, because I wear glasses and one eye is almost blind so VR 3d doesn't work for me.

Edited by Derek Torvalar
  • Like 1