Lolita Erin

Particle Help for splashing watter

Hello, i been trying to make a particle to simulate the splashing of the water on a boat, but i just cant make it look realistic as other boat i have seen, i have couple particles studios for generate but i just cant get it, any ideas or tips?

Thanks so much for any help

Hi Lolita,

Not sure, if you want a bow wave or simulating waves hitting the hull. Anyway take a look at The Particle Laboratory ripple script, this will be a good starting point for a bow wave.

The better boat "splashes" clearly change the particle parameters dynamically depending on the speed of the moving boat. The parameters below are the secret behind:

PSYS_SRC_BURST_RATE
 PSYS_SRC_BURST_SPEED_MIN,
 PSYS_SRC_BURST_SPEED_MAX
 PSYS_SRC_ACCEL     
 PSYS_SRC_ANGLE_BEGIN
 PSYS_SRC_ANGLE_END
 PSYS_PART_START_SCALE
 PSYS_PART_END_SCALE

Further a good texture always important behind a good particle simulation of waves, smoke etc.

• Like 1

It also helps to remember that you can move the emitter too.  You might try scripting your system to move the emitter gently up and down so that your particles don't just look like water shooting out of a static fire hose.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2017 at 0:19 AM, Lolita Erin said:

Like i said, i know how to make the basic particles, but i cant reproduce the waves that a boat does,...

PSYS_SRC_BURST_SPEED_MIN,
 PSYS_SRC_BURST_SPEED_MAX
 PSYS_SRC_ACCEL     
 PSYS_SRC_ANGLE_BEGIN
 PSYS_SRC_ANGLE_END

^ these 5 are what I mess with to get undulations, spray effects, etc., in particles for things, usually.

The pattern you set is also probably pretty relevant.

There's also the option of setting the particles to target the object that produces them, which, based on the speed and angles that they're emitted at, can produce a really nice sort of expanding and contracting quality to a mist or foam spray, and might be adaptable to get a rising and falling effect for a boat prow. I use it for a similar effect in a magical aura, myself. The foam spray could sploosh into view, and fade out quickly, while a second emitter leaves a trail behind the boat in its wake...

Iunno, you'll probably need to experiment until you get it beat, but then you'll always have it. ^-^; There's literally gazillions of different effects you can get just by varying two or three or more of the parameters, so yeah.

If you start them at a higher up angle and let them drop, and have them change size as they do, that could be a cool effect, too. Depending on the number of particles and what the texture looks like, you could get some pretty realistic splashies.

Edited by Berksey
  • Like 1