Crash on Login

NikosTheWizard

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello. So i've been having a certain issue lately (rather my friend has). I downloaded SL, played for a few days, and i suggested to a friend to join me. The thing is, everytime he logged in, he'd crash a few minutes later (see picture).

I did my part of research and some others seemed to have this issue aswell...
So we tried reinstalling the game, and make him log in to another location, but neither worked.
As for the internet connecting, he's able to browse and play quite graphic-demanding games, that require internet connecting, so i doubt its either graphics or connection problem...
Any ideas?

20526519_1970138416598197_1926301175_n.jpg

2 answers to this question

40 minutes ago, NikosTheWizard said:

As for the internet connecting, he's able to browse and play quite graphic-demanding games, that require internet connecting, so i doubt its either graphics or connection problem...
Any ideas?

Yup.  Your friend's experience with other "quite graphic-demanding games" is irrelevant.  Unlike all of those experiences, SL demands a continuous 2-way data stream between your computer and the Linden Lab servers.  Everything that you see in world is updated 45 frames per second, so it is vital to keep your viewer and the servers in sync all the time.  Otherwise, the physics engine cannot compute where you (and anything else) are with enough accuracy to make things work.  The system can tolerate a ping time up to about 150 to 200 msec before you start to see fairly serious rubber-banding, jagged movements and teleport issues.  If ping times are much higher than that except for a very brief spike, you are so far out of sync that the servers give up and disconnect you.  The same thing will happen if you lose more than 0.1 to 0.3% of your data packets, since a lot of data transmission is still using UDP packets that do not correct by redundancy. 

I suggest rebooting your friend's modem and router, and getting off of wifi.  Use a direct cable or DSL connection to the Internet.  Check your Statistics Panel (CTRL + Shift + 1) periodically to monitor ping time and packet loss.  If they continue to be unacceptable, you may need to replace the router or at least have a conversation with your ISP.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos, as usual
  • Like 3

Rolig is right. I'll expand a bit because your friend's problem is almost ALWAYS caused by a weak network connection.

Most high-quality games require a 4 to 10 GB download which stores all the game content on the local computer. Those that are multiplayer then only have to send information about what each character is doing. All the buildings and clothes are already on the local computer. This is NOT the case with Second Life. Second Life's content is measured in Petabytes. Last I heard we were nearing 200 petabytes of content and have likely exceeded that by another 200 to 300. You can't fit that much in a home computer.

A good connection to other games doesn't mean anything. If the highway from Chicago the Detroit is clear, great. But, that says nothing about the highway from Chicago to San Diego. One can be clogged with a wreck and have no effect on the other.

Having one good Internet connection tells us nothing about an individual's connection to the SL servers. Plus at any moment a component somewhere along your network connection path can fail or be hit with a denial of service attack. The Internet changes by the millisecond. So, test the connection to the SL Servers. See: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/ - This article will tell you how to know if the problem is your friend's computer, router/gateway, ISP, backbone providers, or the Linden network. Run the tests and you'll know what to fix and/or who to complain to.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.