Embarrassing moments in your SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I read something in another thread that brought back a rather cringeworthy memory from my early (ish) days. I thought it might be fun to share our moments of mortification in our SLs! I'll start. I was home alone one evening, waiting for my SL husband to log in and was playing around with different things on my viewer. I opened the mini map and saw two dots in one of my neighbors homes, and hovered my cursor over the dots to see if it would display the names of the avies. I must have tapped it somehow, because, next thing you know, I'm standing in their bed directly over the two of them whilst they were (cough cough) playing "cowgirl". I was absolutely horrified, I about died of embarrassment. They weren't exactly thrilled with my unannounced visit, either. I apologized profusely, explained what had happened (via PM after TPing myself home as quickly as possible) and thankfully, they were quite understanding. We actually became good friends after that.:$

Edited by Aislin Ceawlin
  • Like 12

Long long ago on an old avatar, I was an anthropomorphic  raccoon.  I  was at a friend of a friend's house playing in his pool and chatting pool with my friends when the owners girlfriend, who had been away in RL for a few days, came home early and started throwing a fit.  She kept going on about how my fur was going to clog up the filters.  I apologized and left of course.  I later learned that she made her boyfriend delete that pool and build her another one because she didn't want any of my wet fur getting on her.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Zsigmond Alcott said:

The first time me and a friend decided to nude sky dive and I landed right in the middle of this busy clubs open dance floor. True story from 2007. :$

I did similar.  Clicked a mass tp instead of decline and landed at the dj's feet naked in a very busy club during a charity event.  Then got brain freeze in panic and couldn't remember how to tp home so just logged off and logged back in at home 20 minutes later hoping nobody had noticed.  They had :/

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Long long ago on an old avatar, I was an anthropomorphic  raccoon.  I  was at a friend of a friend's house playing in his pool and chatting pool with my friends when the owners girlfriend, who had been away in RL for a few days, came home early and started throwing a fit.  She kept going on about how my fur was going to clog up the filters.  I apologized and left of course.  I later learned that she made her boyfriend delete that pool and build her another one because she didn't want any of my wet fur getting on her.

I think that might be taking *cough* immersion a bit too far. 

• Like 8

More like heartbreaking, and mortifying at the time...

I was building something for a charity event, it was beautiful (imo, and the opinion of those I was working with on it). It actually took me weeks to perfect, as it spans over two sims, this was pre-today's mesh days. of course. It was entirely regular prims with a few sculpties in it(mostly regular prims). I was so damn proud of it. Fast forward to the event...it was going well, dozens and dozens of people there, dozens more on the sim next to it( we could only allow so many avs on each sim, so, multiple sims). As I wandered around looking at the few contributions others had made, I was paying attention to local-which I don't always do, while waiting for hubby to get online. All I kept hearing from people were things like "who even built this?", "it's so uneven", "I could have done so much better", "is the damn creator blind?", "the prims are only barely off, but it's enough to notice"...and it only got worse from there, which I won't relay. Many people knew who the creator was, it's not like my name wasn't on it. As I walked around tears just welled up in my eyes, it wasn't the first time someone had said something nasty about something I'd made, I think it was the culmination of ALL the commentary(and the fact that this was a damn charity event at that, which I'd spent so much time, money, and way too many tears trying to create)..the wretched feeling n my stomach was horrid and quickly turned to me feeling mortified because..."how could I? This subject is so near and dear to me(and it really was, it hit home hard, for reason I need not go in here)". Someone there started going around in local and IMs telling everyone who created it, why I shouldn't have been able to, etc.. etc.. The conversation only got worse in the group chat associated with it. To be honest, most of them weren't even being truthful. They saw one or two flaws and pushed them downhill, they only gained momentum as they fell, as these things do. I never built for that group again. The two flaws that DID exist was one prim was ever so slightly askew from the other it was to be touching. Had they been the same color, it would have been near impossible for most to even tell. The other mistake was one column that had gotten moved downward slightly, I'm still not even sure if I did that or someone in the group did, but either way. there was a sliver of space between it and the ceiling(which you'd have to cam up 20m in the air to even see)

Being legally blind, and otherwise visually impaired as well, screws up a lot of things, including one's ability to create. The lack of depth perception can, easily, throw things off. I try my best, but discouragements like that are not only embarrassing, but, damaging. I still build, I still create..but the vast majority of what I make never sees the light of day outside of wherever it is I am building it. Because...people can be jerks of epic magnitude, and unless they're also visually impaired, they aren't likely to understand how difficult it truly is. It's easier to not set myself up for certain failure and embarrassment, at times. There are plenty of times when I *have* to face these things, like when I get made fun of for being a grown adult that can't drive and never will(I know how, legally, I cannot), but in a world chock full of vastly more prepared and visually equipped creators..I avoid it whenever I can. 

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

I was building something for a charity event, it was beautiful (imo, and the opinion of those I was working with on it). It actually took me weeks to perfect, as it spans over two sims, this was pre-today's mesh days. of course. It was entirely regular prims with a few sculpties in it(mostly regular prims). I was so damn proud of it. Fast forward to the event...it was going well, dozens and dozens of people there, dozens more on the sim next to it( we could only allow so many avs on each sim, so, multiple sims). As I wandered around looking at the few contributions others had made, I was paying attention to local-which I don't always do, while waiting for hubby to get online. All I kept hearing from people were things like "who even built this?", "it's so uneven", "I could have done so much better", "is the damn creator blind?", "the prims are only barely off, but it's enough to notice"...and it only got worse from there, which I won't relay. Many people knew who the creator was, it's not like my name wasn't on it. As I walked around tears just welled up in my eyes, it wasn't the first time someone had said something nasty about something I'd made, I think it was the culmination of ALL the commentary(and the fact that this was a damn charity event at that, which I'd spent so much time, money, and way too many tears trying to create)..the wretched feeling n my stomach was horrid and quickly turned to me feeling mortified because..."how could I? This subject is so near and dear to me(and it really was, it hit home hard, for reason I need not go in here)". Someone there started going around in local and IMs telling everyone who created it, why I shouldn't have been able to, etc.. etc.. The conversation only got worse in the group chat associated with it. To be honest, most of them weren't even being truthful. They saw one or two flaws and pushed them downhill, they only gained momentum as they fell, as these things do. I never built for that group again. The two flaws that DID exist was one prim was ever so slightly askew from the other it was to be touching. Had they been the same color, it would have been near impossible for most to even tell. The other mistake was one column that had gotten moved downward slightly, I'm still not even sure if I did that or someone in the group did, but either way. there was a sliver of space between it and the ceiling(which you'd have to cam up 20m in the air to even see)

Being legally blind, and otherwise visually impaired as well, screws up a lot of things, including one's ability to create. The lack of depth perception can, easily, throw things off. I try my best, but discouragements like that are not only embarrassing, but, damaging. I still build, I still create..but the vast majority of what I make never sees the light of day outside of wherever it is I am building it. Because...people can be jerks of epic magnitude, and unless they're also visually impaired, they aren't likely to understand how difficult it truly is. It's easier to not set myself up for certain failure and embarrassment, at times. There are plenty of times when I *have* to face these things, like when I get made fun of for being a grown adult that can't drive and never will(I know how, legally, I cannot), but in a world chock full of vastly more prepared and visually equipped creators..I avoid it whenever I can. 

Oh Tari! That broke my heart, I am so sorry (HUGS you tight):(

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Gittrika Mint said:

Typing in wrong IM box can be a huge cringe moment too, depending on "topic" :)

I have done that more times than I care to remember.

I'm super great at laughing most things off...but, sometimes the recipient of the message isn't so good at it, lol. I've typed in local when I should have been in IM more times than I care to count too, lol.

• Like 4

Thanks Cindy and Aislin

It is what it is now, but back then..it was rough. I've since learned  my creation limitations a bit better. I know what I'm incapable of(and always will be) creating, or at least sharing with the general public now, lol. There's loads I can't do, but there's loads I can too, so, I take it in stride a lot better now. I also know when to ask for help looking at something to make sure it's right, lol. Got a good life lesson out of it in the end :) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

I clicked to like your post, because you bravely bared your soul about something so very personal. 

As someone who is generally clumsy and can't even colour in within the lines, I've always been in awe of anyone with the skills and patience to build and decorate anything, in SL or in RL, or of people who fight against things that could hold them back - ie Rick Allen, the drummer of Def Leppard, who didn't let the fact that he lost an arm in a car crash stop him from pursuing his chosen career path. 

• Like 2

I was at a welcome area, a long time ago, and there was this guy who was annoying everyone with his conversation. I dont remember what he said but it seemed that no one really challenged him as he was spouting his opinions. After a while he had stopped chatting and I didnt see his avatar where he was standing for a while. I typed in chat something like, "Can you believe that guy? What an idiot." and after a few seconds in chat he types, "I'm still here" and everything went quiet for several minutes.

I guess I wasn't that embarassed about it. 

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I clicked to like your post, because you bravely bared your soul about something so very personal. 

As someone who is generally clumsy and can't even colour in within the lines, I've always been in awe of anyone with the skills and patience to build and decorate anything, in SL or in RL, or of people who fight against things that could hold them back - ie Rick Allen, the drummer of Def Leppard, who didn't let the fact that he lost an arm in a car crash stop him from pursuing his chosen career path. 

That's precisely why I chose the educational(and career for that matter) path I have chosen, for the challenge. It's incredibly difficult to master some of the subjects all on their own, but with limitations it makes things tremendously more difficult . A TTS cannot properly translate most of the things I work with(math, programming languages, etc.) and still make remotely any sense. I have to adapt, usually pretty quickly, unless I want to lose my job, or fail my courses, neither of which is an option.  My mom taught me long ago that no matter how many trees I run into, I'll eventually get where I'm going. I run into things a lot, physically and metaphorically, lol.  I can laugh at it, because it really is hilarious to me, most of the time, when I screw something up, especially terribly. It's one of those "you know you really shouldn't do that" but I do that anyway, sort of things. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

People really can be jerks of epic magnitude, Tari. One of the things I love about SL is that it affords (or once afforded) everybody the opportunity to play with Tinker-Toys once again. During my first months in SL I was given a tiny corner of a sim by a couple of women who had limited building skills but endless imagination. I lived in awe of their determination to realize what was in their heads and I helped as much as I could. Corners didn't line up, nothing was straight, but it was all wonderful. They were so prolific that it was difficult to keep track of all the changes they made. They could transform the sim from the Island of Misfit Toys to Narnia in a week. In RL, each of them was facing challenges well beyond anything I'd ever experienced. They were magic.

1 hour ago, Tari Landar said:

I can laugh at it, because it really is hilarious to me, most of the time, when I screw something up, especially terribly. It's one of those "you know you really shouldn't do that" but I do that anyway, sort of things.

You're like them, letting nothing get in your way. I love that. I wish you hadn't had that experience, but I'm glad you came through it stronger than ever. And now I'm curious as hell to see some of your work.

;-).

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

As someone who is generally clumsy and can't even colour in within the lines, I've always been in awe of anyone with the skills and patience to build and decorate anything.

And I've always been in awe of your ability to find and liberate ghosts. Whatever you lack in colouring skills, you make up for with your quirky sense of humor.

• Like 3

Well,it's been awhile..I'm gonna say,the worst ones were usually some sort of wardrobe malfunction that I didn't know about until pictures were sent to me..

Up on stage dancing being all hot and sexy and just feeling the music in something I just bought from the market place..Getting all like, you know you want me,yes you do world..Start typing out the lyrics to the song playing,feeling more and more awesome  as time goes on..It just doesn't get any better than this!

*Such and such just sent you a pic*

O.o Damn,been ruthed the whole time!!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

Awww D: I'm really sorry to hear that. People can be mean! But you didn't let their words hold you back, and I really admire that.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.