Patrick Playfair

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

The Ruth avatar has not existed since about 2012, when it was replaced by the fluffy white cloud that signifies incomplete avatar loading today.  Also, the old CTRL + Alt + R  "rebaking" vanished at the same time, since avatars definition files are no longer stored on the client viewer but are downloaded fresh from the LL servers each time you log in.  If you are having bake fail issues, try the steps described in http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_bake_fail

If you continue to have problems, consider

(1) Many people were having asset issues (rezzing, inventory retrieval, ....) today as a result of scheduled maintenance.  Those issues should clear up within 24 hours.

(2) Chronic bake fail is often caused by an unreliable Internet connection (dropping data packets or irregular ping time). Get off of wifi -- use a cable or DSL connection instead -- and reboot both your router and modem.

Edited by Rolig Loon

Well, not getting a white cloud.  The avatar sees himself as an orange cloud, and everyone else sees him switching back & forth between a big bald guy and a scrawny guy with hair (supposed to be the bald guy).  Am using a fast cable connection, and only happens to one avatar.  Will try rebooting the modem & router and see if that helps.  Thanks

The orange cloud is Firestorm's version of the standard Linden Lab white fluffy cloud.  Same thing.  It sounds as if you are seeing incomplete loading.  As I commented earlier, it's quite possible that it's a side effect of today's scheduled maintenance, which has caused some asset retrieval issues for some residents.  Wait till tomorrow and see if it clears up.

BTW, a "fast" Internet connection makes no difference in this context.  Bandwidth is rarely an issue, since SL doesn't require much anyway.  Reliability is the issue.  If a connection is either losing more than a very tiny fraction of data packets in transmission or has irregular transit (ping) times, you will have rendering issues, teleport problems, and possible login/disconnection problems.

Edited by Rolig Loon

That is a very weird behavior.  Does it happen only in one region, or everywhere?  If it's confined to one region, the problem is most likely with the region server...request a re-start.  Does it happen if you log in from another computer?  Then the problem is with your machine.  Do a clean re-install of the viewer, and check your firewall settings.  Otherwise, it's likely something to do with something your avatar is wearing.  Try changing from the big bald guy to a different avatar.

I take it from what you have said that while in a region you and others see your avatar changing appearance. Also, this has happened over a few logins. 

Since others see the change happening, it is unlikely your computer/viewer or connection. MY first guess would be that it is a region issue. Since many on the grid are having attachment issues over the last 12-20 hours your issue may be related. I suspect some confusion between the regions servers and asset backend.

I suggest you avoid drastic steps, like cache clearing, until the Lindens announce the issue is resolved. After that, you can get more aggressive. Before then you may just aggravate any existing or even create new problems.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.